View Poll Results: Which one for rabid 20lb animals?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6" GP-100 .357 w/125 grain SJHP

28 66.67%
  • 7.7" Single-Six .22 magnum w/JHP

14 33.33%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabid Raccoon Gun?

In low light, they blend into their surroundings very well. On two such shots, I used a .17 HMR and a .22WMRF when I should have used a 12ga. In broad daylight or with a blinding light on your gun, use whatever you want. Low light, questionable shot, 12ga is the winner.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

They are plentiful here in central TX. My fave is a Ruger 10/22 loaded up with CCI Stingers. A lot of rounds quickly and it’s a lot quieter than anything center fire. I’ve yet to come across one I thought was rabid.

Longtime fan of #4 birdshot in a 12, 16, or 20 gauge. It's been the longtime local standard henhouse defense load for longer than my grandparents could remember and I've found it to be for good reason. A fair few 'coons, bobcats, foxes, and even those pure hate-fueled fishers have been hammered right quick with minimal damage needing repair done to the structure in my experience.

Of the poll choices, I'd go for the Single-Six with WMR cylinder.

215gr SWC .41 Magnum is a one shot stopper. One added benefit, when fired in the confine of my barns hayloft, it gets all the pigeons in the cupola to exit, RFN.

As a firm believer in tradition,
    I always sing the Beatle's "Rocky Racoon" on the way to the burn pit to dispose of the body.
    https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/beat...kyraccoon.html

"Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
    Only to find Gideon's Bible
    Rocky had come, equipped with a gun
    To shoot off the legs of his rival"

A proper burial for sure.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    My brother once dropped a coon from about 30 yards at night with a single shot from a Marlin model 99 M1

That was a fun little rifle handed down to us by my grandfather.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One downside of shooting potentially rabid animals with a .22 is the chance it gets away and you end up taking the a ride on the Lockjaw Prevention Express for no reason.
    Minor point, but Lockjaw is tetanus. Developing advanced tetanus is as horrifying but not as deadly as rabies. Both diseases are on my "do not ever get" list. If you want to scare yourself, google images of tetanus, or risus sardonicus and to be truly frightened, videos of rabies victims. It is truly the source of all our zombie fears.

Anyhow, back to the thread. I vote shotgun.

I remember shooting three different rabid raccoons — one with a Glock 23 with 165 HydraShok, one with a 1911 with .45 something, and one with a Benelli with buck shot. In each instance, after the shot, the raccoon ran off about twenty yards before dying.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Minor point, but Lockjaw is tetanus. Developing advanced tetanus is as horrifying but not as deadly as rabies. Both diseases are on my "do not ever get" list. If you want to scare yourself, google images of tetanus, or risus sardonicus and to be truly frightened, videos of rabies victims. It is truly the source of all our zombie fears.

Anyhow, back to the thread. I vote shotgun.
    Pedant! No valid point and for some reason I have always confused those two.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I remember shooting three different rabid raccoons — one with a Glock 23 with 165 HydraShok, one with a 1911 with .45 something, and one with a Benelli with buck shot. In each instance, after the shot, the raccoon ran off about twenty yards before dying.
    Exactly! Tough little f#&$ers

Out of those two choices I went with the GP100.

User Tag List