View Poll Results: Which one for rabid 20lb animals?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • 6" GP-100 .357 w/125 grain SJHP

28 66.67%
  • 7.7" Single-Six .22 magnum w/JHP

14 33.33%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabid Raccoon Gun?

Rabid Raccoon Gun?

Just one of my phobias.

I'm sure other platforms will come up.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I didnt see 12ga listed so I'll go with the .357 GP.

Racoons can be tougher than some may realize. I haven't had to deal with a rabid one but I'd rather err on the side of DRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Just one of my phobias.

I'm sure other platforms will come up.

Ive probably shot 15-20 animals that i thought were rabid. 12 gauge wins. #4 buck works really well with the hornady flight control style wad.

.45 auto works better than 9mm ime, 45 colt with heavy swc even better. 556 works very, very well as well.

Eta, just saw the poll. Ive used the .22 mag coon hunting with my 5.5" single six. Works as well or better than a 22lr rifle. I cant tell you how many perfectly mushroomed bullets ive found against the offside hide.

Never shot a coon with a 125gr .357 but i have no doubt it would be awesome

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I didnt see 12ga listed so I'll go with the .357 GP.

Racoons can be tougher than some may realize. I haven't had to deal with a rabid one but I'd rather err on the side of DRT.
    This!

In my experience, suburbanized trashpandas (STPs), especially rabid suburbanized trashpandas (RSTPs), cling to life with record setting enthusiasm. We had a report of one that was attacking a resident's decorative plastic lawn fauna in broad daylight. The SUTP was caught in the act and shot through the eye with a 147gr HST. Opened its cranium but it remained on its feet snarling for a bit. Eventually fell over and died but it was not the "bang, flop" type of shot that I would have expected with that shot placement. 12ga would be my first choice.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive probably shot 15-20 animals that i thought were rabid. 12 gauge wins. #4 buck works really well with the hornady flight control style wad.
    I like this as well. Lots of tissue damage without being explosive. The thing about rabid animals is you may not want to splash them or turn them inside out too much, as it seems a good idea to keep the biohazard mess that needs to be cleaned up as limited as possible.

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/diagnosis...ls-humans.html

The brain tissue is used to diagnose whether it actually had rabies, so you may want to stay away from head shots, too. Which points toward as immediate incapacitation as possible so it doesn't run down a sewer drain to die, without taking out the brain and without spraying their anatomy around the area. Lots of holes all at once with not too fast moving projectiles seems like a good bet.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I keep a supply of #4 buck on hand for all of the reasons mentioned above.

Works well on raccoons and coyotes that can't take a hint.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The one time I tried to kill a raccoon with a .410, made me a believer in 12-gauge shotguns for such tasks.

Of the two, a .357 mag would be my choice. They are tough little buggers and harder to kill than one might think. I think I'd rather be in a biker flash mob with a 1911 and two spare mags than face a horde of rabid raccoons.

Back in the early 90's I had a clan of racoons move in under the barn. Over the course of a year I shot 14 coons with the Remington 125 gr. SJHP in a 4" GP100. Every one was dead on impact. That's still my go to.

Another thought is you might want a platform with greater than 6-shot capabilities, particularly if the target is moving and light is low and/or contrasty. Out of my battery, my general preference for .40 as a wilderness chambering comes to the fore, using my Glock Gen4 G22 (or HK VP40) with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators, or similarly my Gen 3 G21 with Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Defenders.

Out of the OP's choices, I'd go with the GP100; in my case a 4" with Federal 158 gr .357 magnum HydraShoks, chosen as an available good all-around .357 round, or Hornady's 158 gr Custom XTP (that's my load of choice for my Blackhawk).

Best, Jon

I had some on game camera behind my house that looked like small bears. Of your choices I’d take the GP100 but use a heavier bullet. Of my choices I’m grabbing an AR15.

User Tag List