Thread: DA trigger press, first joint.

DA trigger press, first joint.

To practice my trigger pull - and to save money - I purchased a Ruger .22 LCR revolver. I am a little confused about something: Most of the videos I've watched say that I should place the first joint of my index finger on the trigger. So I am wondering: If I do that how can I pull the trigger straight back if my finger is wrapped around the trigger (the way I've seen on the videos). When I shoot a semi-auto I break my finger at the second joint, so with the pad of my index finger on the trigger, my bent isin the shape of an upside down L. This helps me pull the trigger straight back.

Am I over thinking things?

Thanks,

Randy

Yes. Do what works best for you. It will differ from person to person, gun to gun.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

What Blues said. I'm using the second 'pad' of my finger, between the first and second joint. If something else works for you, do it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    A couple national pistol championship winners instructed me on this subject. I learned to use the first joint. This position determines the grip, which ends up slightly to right of center of bore axis for a right hand shooter. That is, bore axis is not aligned with radius or top arm bone when arm is extended. Two factors affecting this spatial relationship are size of revolver grip frame, size of revolver frame itself, stock dimension and hand size. I am aware that just because my teachers demonstrated expertise in competition, that they did not write the book on revolver shooting. Over time experts come and go, and what is considered true yesterday may be disregarded today. One instructor could shoot off hand 6 inch groups with a J frame airweight at 50 yards--with one hand and shooting double action. Hence, I listened when he spoke.
    Last edited by willie; 04-12-2020 at 10:22 AM.

The relative sizes of the your hands, gun and grips will dictate how you place your finger on the trigger. For instance, my trigger finger placement is different on a J frame than when shooting an N frame. My trigger finger placement when shooting a J frame with Diamond Pro grips versus Uncle Mike’s boot grips is different.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

As long as the sights don’t move when the trigger does, it doesn’t matter.

Latham has short sausage fingers and would likely have trouble with a “proper” da finger placement

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
    To practice my trigger pull - and to save money - I purchased a Ruger .22 LCR revolver. I am a little confused about something: Most of the videos I've watched say that I should place the first joint of my index finger on the trigger. So I am wondering: If I do that how can I pull the trigger straight back if my finger is wrapped around the trigger (the way I've seen on the videos). When I shoot a semi-auto I break my finger at the second joint, so with the pad of my index finger on the trigger, my bent isin the shape of an upside down L. This helps me pull the trigger straight back.

Am I over thinking things?

Thanks,

Randy
    I mostly shoot DA revolver.

I stopped fretting about this recently.

My process:

1) Get a rock-solid grip on the gun

2) Place trigger finger where it feels comfortable, and pull from there

It can vary from fingertip to first joint for me. There's a big difference between a J frame and and N for me.

The amount of wobble I see during dryfiring is my test of proper placement. The amount of wobble reduction on my 640 going from fingertip to first joint is remarkable. Occasionally, I'm almost at second pad for best results.

Just make sure you have good leverage! But IME proper grip comes first. (That varies by size for me too)

ETA: a long version of the points brought up already in this thread, but a bit broader:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tion-Simple-as
    Last edited by Baldanders; 04-12-2020 at 11:58 AM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Folks,
    Thanks so much for all your help.
    Randy

User Tag List