Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DA Revolver Trigger Jamming Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Smith and Wesson revolvers are not drop in parts guns, especially the pre-lock and pre-MIM guns. You need a competent gunsmith to fit that part correctly. As you've discovered at this point, just because it drops in doesn't mean it works.
    This is pretty much the only truly correct answer here. The new hammer needs to be fitted to the gun by someone who does this professionally. The iterative design changes that have occurred with S&W revolvers over the past 40 years make this mandatory when fitting new parts to old guns.

From your first picture it looks like the trigger cam is making contact with the hammer under the Single Action cocking notch while it is still in contact with the Double Action sear. Page 52 of the Kuhnhausen manual describes this issue. The remedy, if that is your problem, is to lightly dress the corner "the absolute minimum amount" at the proper angle to prevent binding.

Other possible issues
    - Your double action sear is to short or has to much let-out, in that case you would need a new DA sear fit to your gun.
    - You need more let out and the DA sear needs to be adjusted to prevent binding.

I'd take it to a smith.
    Last edited by timotab; 04-15-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Thanks for the info so far. I purchased that book that was recommended and it should be here in a week or two. I'm buying it not just for this issue but because I want to learn more about revolvers mechnically.

As far as this gun, I swapped sears and it's working now. I got a whole new hammer assembly, and that's what was pictured in the original post. I didn't have a new rivet so I couldn't swap hammer noses and just put the whole new hammer assembly in.

Since I recogniezd it as a sear issue, I swapped sears, which only requires a 1/16 punch and you can reuse the pin. I put the old sear into the new hammer and it appears to be working fine for now after about 100 rounds of dry fire.

User Tag List