Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coping with the loss of an officer for rookies

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    An excellent example for those in leadership positions to follow. That is gold medal sergeanting right there!

Agreed.

No telling how much you helped your squad with that email.

Well done.

I "liked" your post, even though I can't "unlike" the cause of it enough. In the age of social distancing, how are we going to lay this hero to rest with a proper send off? I'm a little more than an hour out, please keep us posted on the plans, if you have the time.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I "liked" your post, even though I can't "unlike" the cause of it enough. In the age of social distancing, how are we going to lay this hero to rest with a proper send off? I'm a little more than an hour out, please keep us posted on the plans, if you have the time.
    I posted about it briefly in the LE and COVID thread, but in broad strokes the funeral will take place at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. LE can attend, only the officer and spouse to be in the car. Squad cars will be placed around the track and you will observe the funeral from your car and/or livestreamed on laptop/phone. Officers will exit cars to pay respects at appropriate times.

If you want to PM me your police website I'll forward you the preliminaries.

It's normally my day off, but I will be working district to free up a slot for those who wish to attend.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Were I to add anything, it'd be to check on the trainers who worked with. Especially if there were closer relationships between trainers and officers - like in a mid-size org. There could be those blaming or second guessing themselves for not having taught enough.

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    We've had a lot of losses in the last couple of years. It's definitely hard on new folks, more specifically those who have not experienced the death of people they are close to(most haven't). I think the current generations also have a hard time understanding that we are in a dangerous job and losses are going to happen. Recognizing when people aren't "acting right" and getting them to go talk to someone is generally what we do.

I also believe strongly in what I call "mental inoculation". What this is to motivate people to periodically and very realistically dwell on death/serious bodily injury (both their own and others) in order to inoculate their mind or prepare their minds for misfortune. The act of visualizing this kind of thing is unpleasant but I've found it to go a long way when preparing myself mentally for folks that I know getting killed/seriously injured. I believe Yamamoto Tsunetomo's is his book Hagakure was trying to explain the same concept in this quote below:

“Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one’s body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one’s master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead”
    First of all great email BBI!

My lead defensive tactics Instructor was a foot patrol Sergeant. His squad worked housing projects. He liked to do mental imaging/inoculation at the end of every class. He had us close our eyes and imagine being seriously injured by a suspect, fighting back and winning, applying first aid, and recovering to going back to work. He was a great instructor and man. He looked like a Viking.

My class Sergeant said something that has stuck to me to this day. He talked about a plains Indian saying, “Today is a good day to die”. He asked us to repeat that at the start of every shift to remind us that it was a possibility every time you worked.

We have one class with the recruits in the academy for a practical K9 training night. I like to tell them to always remember there are a small percentage of people out there who will have absolutely no hesitation in killing them simply because of the uniform they wear.

One of my Academy classmates was killed by a drunk driver and another was shot and killed on a family fight early in my career. I was on our honor guard and participated two funerals for Officers for my agency. I don’t remember how many other agency funerals I attended. I really don’t want to attend anymore but I will.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Well said!

Well done.

The suicides are worse than the LOD deaths, long term..

User Tag List