Thread: What to do with an old 11-48 with to many holes in the receiver?

What to do with an old 11-48 with to many holes in the receiver?

Ive had this 11-48 project gun for about 10 years i picked up for $100. It has a mesa urbino stock, a front sight silver soldered on the 18" barrel, a wilson +1, and a big dome safety.

The front sight had given me the most trouble as it shot so high with any bead. I finally broke down and mounted a front sight but then started haveing problems with the receiver. Because of not having the receiver screws perfectly trimmed the bolt battered them lose and the holes stripped. I tried a different rear and it happened again. Now im scared to put any more holes in the receiver.

What id like to do is weld them all closed them weld an lpa style sight from fusion on top. Is that much welding ok on a 11-48 receiver?

I dont have a welder so it would have to travel. Any smaller shops that could do it right?

I don't have an answer to your welding question but was pleased to hear that I am not the only one who tried to "improve" an 11-48! My story pretty much mirrors yours except the rear sight has never departed the gun. My first front sight ramp was screwed on until the third shot so I didn't realize how high the thing shot. The second ramp was soldered on and has held up on although I ended up with a front blade that is at approximately the same height as my AR sight! Even with the Williams receiver sight at its lowest setting the gun still shoots high so I have decided that the 11-48 is #37 on my go to gun list and doubt it will ever see action.
    I wonder if JB Weld might secure your rear sight in place if you place it so the the holes in the receiver get some of the JB Weld? Anyway, good luck with your project.

Larger diameter screws might work. A lot of custom rifle builders open up 6/32 holes and retap them to 8/32.

Or get a barrel with rifle sights.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My favorite 11-48 is in my avatar: vertical fore grip for OG cool factor.

I'm not sure I'd put much money in one, though, so Okie John's suggestion is the cheap/easy fix. The only other fix I'd consider would be to get an old school smith at put front and rear sights on the barrel.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Larger diameter screws might work. A lot of custom rifle builders open up 6/32 holes and retap them to 8/32.
    Okie John
    Probably what ill end up doing. Thanks

User Tag List