Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .357 Sig on single stage?

Do you have to trim the .357 SIG?
    I’m tempted to start reloading 7.62 Tokarev but the idea of trimming has turned me off.

I never had to but I don't think I ever reloaded a case more than once.

Site Supporter
    Turrets will be much, much more efficient than single staging it. I've watched enough accuracy reviews of the same load developed on a turret vs. a single stage, out of two different revolvers, to know there's absolutely zero difference in accuracy out of handguns so let's get that production number up some more. Long range shooting with a skilled shooter and good kit, you might find some differences.

The Lee classic or value turrets are cheap to buy and cheap to change calibers without having to setup your dies each time.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by diananike View Post
    Do you have to trim the .357 SIG?
    I’m tempted to start reloading 7.62 Tokarev but the idea of trimming has turned me off.
    I'll be snagging a Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress Case Trimmer in a few weeks. Honestly not sure if it'll work for short pistol cartridges - but without something like this I won't touch a bottleneck cartridge as the time/cost payoff isn't there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I never had to but I don't think I ever reloaded a case more than once.
    Reason? Loss?

At my range, I could count on a 10% loss. Indoor range was about 50%, but at the time I could always scoop up more than I shot.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Reason? Loss?

At my range, I could count on a 10% loss. Indoor range was about 50%, but at the time I could always scoop up more than I shot.
    I just left them laying on the ground if I had reloaded them. I had enough problems getting the sizing and seating right and all the failures in reloading were due to my inability to get the necks and seating correct. When I was reloading this round I had plenty of brass, I just did not care to go for two reloads...lazy.

I have no idea how many reloads a case for this cartridge is good for.

The only pistol cartridge I have ever loaded that was a bigger PIA than this one is the .44-40...it is worse and I loose more brass on that one.

I congratulate all the reloaders who have mastered .357 Sig and had very little problem getting it up and running...I am not one of them.
    Last edited by fatdog; 04-12-2020 at 01:10 PM.

I had enough problems getting the sizing and seating right and all the failures in reloading were due to my inability to get the necks and seating correct.
    What brand dies? I've found the ones that full length resize and neck expand in the same operation can be troublesome with mixed brass. Along those same lines, the seater / crimp die can also give me trouble with mixed brass as the case length variation can be enough to leave a slight bell on some brands, and over crimp on others.
    Taking a break from social media.

Done it on a Dillon 650 with Dillon dies. I
    as stated in an earlier post..

I reload 357 on a Dillon 550 with Hornady dies and have never had any issues with sizing. I guess I do run the fired cases through a bulge-buster sort of arrangement every so often, but everything works just fine for me. I crimp with a LEE collet type factory crimp die.

I still reload everything on a single stage press. I’ve done quite a few .357 sig rounds. My preferred method is to size the cases twice, once with a carbide.40 s&w die, then with the 357 sig die. This way I avoid having to lube cases. I’ve never needed to trim 357 sig brass. I also run the rounds thru a Lee factory crimp die after seating using the RCBS seat/crimp die, just to be sure the bullet won’t set back.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List