Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Elite UFC fighter vs. crazy = stalemate

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Ive had to hold on tight and wait for either physical or chemical restraints. 600lbs deadlifts pay off.
    “Stronger-than-you Fu” works well if you’ve got it...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    “Stronger-than-you Fu” works well if you’ve got it...
    Works even better if you know how to apply it too

If you've spent a lot of time around trained people you get used to going against trained people. You are both playing a cat and mouse game of predicting somewhat predictable moves. You know that if you do attack A, the highest percentage counters are B, C, D and your opponent will most likely choose one of those.
    A spastic new guy (especially one with a wrestling background) will often surprise the hell out of higher belts with completely out of left field movements. You get a lot of those "Why is he doing that? That's not going to accomplish anything... damn he almost got me/got away!" moments. The spastic new guy will often do a super low percentage or flat out wrong technique, but do it with so much aggression that it either works or damn near works.

Coming out of a deep sleep and going up against a strong, fast, experienced grappler with psyche issues who's hopped up on drugs while at the same time trying to maintain situational awareness for a probable second or third attacker while worrying about your wife and kids... yea... shit sandwich even for a world class professional fighter.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    how many bjj black belts have fought for their lives?
    Good point. Of the ones that have, there is probably even fewer who have had to do it in pajamas after waking up to a screaming dude in their house

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    One thing that bothers me about this...a wrestler is a handful for sure. A state level champion wrestler even more so and being hopped up on PCP or being on a psychotic episode and not feeling pain...sure that's gonna be a real handful.

But this guy is a BJJ black belt. Of all the people here who train, I think we all understand that being a BJJ black belt means you've trained for years on how to put someone away. There are layers upon layers to the levels of skill at submission grappling, even at the black belt level, but the skill difference between a BJJ black belt and a high school wrestler...even a very good one...should not pose much of a problem.

There aren't as many BJJ black belts in the world as people think. It's an extremely difficult level of skill to attain. I've known doctors who went for med school for shorter amounts of time.

So what would it have been that made this situation different from something like Matt Serra holding a dude down in a restaurant like he's a temperamental child, or any number of the police officers who have controlled suspects effortlessly with BJJ. Was it the mental state of the intruder? His wrestling background? The mental state of the defender?

Again, to his credit, Smith did hold this dude down and paint the house with his blood, without getting a scratch and without his wife getting kicked in the face. So was it maybe just (as @Clusterfrack mentioned) his default response to hold the dude down and beat that ass? Maybe if the dude busted into Alexei Oleiniks house he'd be asleep and gift wrapped for the cops, or his knee would be torn apart.

I'll reiterate...this was still a victory. And from the looks of it, Smith didn't pay a steep price for it. No physical wounds, no concussions, no broken bones. It would be hard to say if a less skilled fighter would have won, or even if they did, they may not have won without cost or having to use that butcher knife...

My guess is after he took him down, he tried to put him away quickly with strikes in case someone else was in the house. The guy likely spazzed around trying to get up and eventually balled up. Outside of an arm triangle or rear naked choke, you aren’t left with many submission options that don’t compromise positional dominance.

Personally, a joint lock isn’t something I would go for unless I was fighting from my guard; even then I’d look to sweep or triangle ASAP. A better strategy would be to maintain mount, strike until he gives up or turns his back and sink in a rear naked choke. This option keeps you safe from strikes and limits his chances to escape.

Also, please keep in mind BJJ is more about dominating positions than it is on submissions. Black belts are sharks in water fighting a regular human... the manner a black belt (or shark) wins doesn’t matter because the fate is mostly decided.

Anthony Smith had to go from 0-60 in a few seconds out of his garage, the crazy guy was already at 90 on the interstate and accelerating rapidly to 120. Just a rough, not seamless analogy. Others have already said it better but that's my thinking on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    One thing that bothers me about this...a wrestler is a handful for sure. A state level champion wrestler even more so and being hopped up on PCP or being on a psychotic episode and not feeling pain...sure that's gonna be a real handful.

But this guy is a BJJ black belt. Of all the people here who train, I think we all understand that being a BJJ black belt means you've trained for years on how to put someone away. There are layers upon layers to the levels of skill at submission grappling, even at the black belt level, but the skill difference between a BJJ black belt and a high school wrestler...even a very good one...should not pose much of a problem.

There aren't as many BJJ black belts in the world as people think. It's an extremely difficult level of skill to attain. I've known doctors who went for med school for shorter amounts of time.

So what would it have been that made this situation different from something like Matt Serra holding a dude down in a restaurant like he's a temperamental child, or any number of the police officers who have controlled suspects effortlessly with BJJ. Was it the mental state of the intruder? His wrestling background? The mental state of the defender?

Again, to his credit, Smith did hold this dude down and paint the house with his blood, without getting a scratch and without his wife getting kicked in the face. So was it maybe just (as @Clusterfrack mentioned) his default response to hold the dude down and beat that ass? Maybe if the dude busted into Alexei Oleiniks house he'd be asleep and gift wrapped for the cops, or his knee would be torn apart.

I'll reiterate...this was still a victory. And from the looks of it, Smith didn't pay a steep price for it. No physical wounds, no concussions, no broken bones. It would be hard to say if a less skilled fighter would have won, or even if they did, they may not have won without cost or having to use that butcher knife...

I think Joe Rogan said pretty much the same thing a couple days ago.

My takeaway: "crap happens, make sure the guns are loaded and accessible."

how many bjj black belts have fought for their lives?
    I’m a BJJ black belt and I’ve had to fight for real twice. I can’t say that my life was in extreme danger though, because the same techniques I use in sport matches worked pretty well on “the streetz.”

The “typical” person will get absolutely destroyed by most BJJ blue belts. The home invader in this case was not a typical person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I’m a BJJ black belt and I’ve had to fight for real twice. I can’t say that my life was in extreme danger though, because the same techniques I use in sport matches worked pretty well on “the streetz.”

The “typical” person will get absolutely destroyed by most BJJ blue belts. The home invader in this case was not a typical person.
    I dont deal with, or train for typical

I dont deal with, or train for typical
    Then don’t start BJJ, get a blue belt, and quit.

User Tag List