Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite UFC fighter vs. crazy = stalemate

I wonder what @Cecil Burch or @SouthNarc would opine on the matter
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

His MMA ability allowed him to damage and control the intruder until police arrived. How anyone can argue his training wasn’t adequate doesn’t understand much about hand to hand combat. The guy didn’t stop fighting because he thought he was fighting for his life, is mentally ill, and was possibly hopped up on drugs. It’s the same situation as when we argue that gun shots aren’t like in the movies, the same goes for hand to hand. Unless you pummel someone until they are unconscious or choke them unconscious, they are not going to stop with that kind of adrenaline running through them.

He clearly didn’t want to kill the guy... he was woken up, scared, and confused at 4am trying to control a crazy guy, while thinking about his family and if/when another intruder was going to jump into the fight. And no, skipping MMA to focus on eye-poking isn’t where you should spend your time.

Lessons from the video:
    - Don’t be so complacent; check your door locks, garage, security system before bed
    - Have a firearm accessible to you every night
    - Don’t introduce a lethal weapon unless you plan to use it
    - If you pummel the intruder and he keeps squirming, put him to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    And no, skipping MMA to focus on eye-poking isn’t where you should spend your time
    So much this. I’m shocked when I read that kind of stuff posted here in 2020 because I guess I don’t internet much. I honestly thought we were past “da streetz” stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    So much this. I’m shocked when I read that kind of stuff posted here in 2020 because I guess I don’t internet much. I honestly thought we were past “da streetz” stuff.
    I dont think anyone said to skip the mma style training. I said that boxing gave me a great base and I suggest everyone who is serious about self defense at least train it for a little while. All that said, if punching someone in the face isnt working... maybe switch targets?

We, generally speaking, fight how we train. What im saying is that its beneficial to have some training where you do target areas of the body that are illegal in sport, not that you entirely throw out sport training. One guy I worked with for a while ended up pulling guard on the job one night when he got into a fight with a crackhead. Not usually the best option in a street altercation. When asked why he did it his answer is that pulling guard is what he always did in class.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Maybe but IME there is something to the stereotype of mentally ill in crisis and developmentally disabled individuals being preternaturally strong.
    Both my mom and my aunt spent part of their careers working with institutionalized people with various types of mental disabilities and would confirm that. My aunt had training on how to physically control patients and still ended up getting her jaw broke once.

Chris

I hate to sound like an uncouth lout but they call it "retard strength" for a reason.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    I dont think anyone said to skip the mma style training. I said that boxing gave me a great base and I suggest everyone who is serious about self defense at least train it for a little while. All that said, if punching someone in the face isnt working... maybe switch targets?

We, generally speaking, fight how we train. What im saying is that its beneficial to have some training where you do target areas of the body that are illegal in sport, not that you entirely throw out sport training. One guy I worked with for a while ended up pulling guard on the job one night when he got into a fight with a crackhead. Not usually the best option in a street altercation. When asked why he did it his answer is that pulling guard is what he always did in class.
    I’d argue that the effect of throwing a few punches is much different than double legging someone into the ground and establishing knee on belly, mount, etc. You can’t train eye poking... most of your time should be training to control the opponent and dominate positions. That kind of dominance ensures you are in the driver’s seat and can escalate force when necessary. I.e. choke unconscious

Have you ever hit someone so many times they actually gave up? It’s a really odd feeling when it won’t happen; some people don’t fold unless they are shutoff...

And yes pulling guard in a fight, street or modern MMA, is incredibly dumb.

He should have used some Street Karate https://youtu.be/Kd_oBd5DENk on the dude...just kidding.

Very sobering incident, thanks for posting.

It you find an intruder already in your home, you’ve already royally EF’d up, I don’t care what kind of Master you are.
    It’s amazing how many people out there fail to secure their home, or think their combatives prowess negate proper home security measures, and a firearm for last resort defense.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 04-11-2020 at 09:53 PM.

A local tv news report showing nest camera footage of the suspect. You see how hopped up on something he was; maniacal screaming. He was charged with misdemeanor trespass?! Makes one wonder how the prosecutor would have treated Smith had he killed the suspect.

https://youtu.be/blO5xI2xyIg

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    A local tv news report showing nest camera footage of the suspect. You see how hopped up on something he was; maniacal screaming. He was charged with misdemeanor trespass?! Makes one wonder how the prosecutor would have treated Smith had he killed the suspect.

https://youtu.be/blO5xI2xyIg
    Yeah super drug strength in an attacker is a scary thing to contemplate.

I'm no legal expert but as far as Smith possibly killing the suspect and possibly being prosecuted for it: deadly force would have been typically reasonable if the intruder showed the Intent, Means, and Opportunity to seriously maim/cause grievous bodily harm and/or kill, and Smith did not have other reasonable preclusions like retreating, escaping etc.

Intent: the Invader never issued a verbal threat like I'm going to Kill you, etc. I don't know if the aggressive posturing and advance toward Smith would constitute Intent to kill/main/cause grievous bodily harm. Certainly a defense lawyer would try and make the case that a stranger in your home howling like a mad man and advancing toward Smith aggressively, constituted a fear or terror in Smith's mind that there was indeed intent on the part of the invader to, at the very least, do grievous bodily harm, and Smith would say that he felt terrified for his and his family's safety. But it could be a gray area that a Prosecutor could exploit.
    Means: The intruder did say he had a weapon, and an associate on the property..and was displaying super strength which terrified Smith..so I think Smith would have been OK here.
    Opportunity: The intruder certainly had the Opportunity to kill or cause grievous bodily harm since he was in close contact with Smith and within the house with access to his family.
    Preclusion: This depends a lot on the laws in that particular case, but given the circumstances it could certainly be argued that it would have been problematic for Smith and his whole family including kids to evade or escape at that point, even if the State didn't have a good Castle Doctrine.

All in all I think Smith showed good restraint, I mean he could have stabbed that intruder to death at one point but he didn't. If he had killed the intruder..I think a good defense lawyer could have successfully defended him..or at least I hope that that's the case.

Anyway, that's a layman's take on it. If anyone is better versed in Self Defense Law, please chime in.

User Tag List