Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elite UFC fighter vs. crazy = stalemate

Elite UFC fighter vs. crazy = stalemate

Top 10 UFC fighter (not just top 10 of his weight class, top 10 overall) at his physical peak (in the middle of a fight camp) and with a "I'm willing to kill and/or die to win this fight" mindset has hell going hands on with a mentally ill guy who broke into his home despite outweighing him by 20-30#.
    It took every bit of his size, strength, cardio, skill and mindset advantages just to drag it out into a stalemate until LE arrived.
    Really good reminder that an inaccessible gun might as well be on another planet and that it's a bitch digging yourself out of a initiative deficit, especially against a committed and/or crazy opponent.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I've watched him fight several times and he can land with power. I don't remember much about his ground game.

That said, when I saw the story online a day or two ago I thought to myself...that doesn't bode well for the "regular" guy...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

That was a sobering interview to listen to. I doubt ESPN would broadcast same if he had successfully defended his family with a firearm. Nevertheless, I think it is a must listen to interview.

A particularly scary/interesting component of the experience was when smiths mother-in-law got him a knife to attempt to control the home invader with (presumably) the threat of getting stabbed/cut and it had no effect on compliance and Anthony notes it created difficulty controlling him as he only had one hand free.

Note: He believed he lived in a safe neighborhood and at the time of the incident his garage door had been left open.

Scary stuff.

Site Supporter
    Dang.

That's an astonishing situation and outcome.

I saw this reported in the news but forgot to post. I had the same sentiment as @blues.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    That was a sobering interview to listen to. I doubt ESPN would broadcast same if he had successfully defended his family with a firearm. Nevertheless, I think it is a must listen to interview.

A particularly scary/interesting component of the experience was when smiths mother-in-law got him a knife to attempt to control the home invader with (presumably) the threat of getting stabbed/cut and it had no effect on compliance and Anthony notes it created difficulty controlling him as he only had one hand free.

Note: He believed he lived in a safe neighborhood and at the time of the incident his garage door had been left open.

Scary stuff.
    Anthony held the knife to the guy, Anthony had trouble controlling perp only using one hand, Anthony stated, "he put the knife down". So many times if someone lays a weapon down it's used by the perp. Fortunately, this ended up not being the case.

Certainly a lot to learn on a multitude of levels from his experience.
    The best looking armor doesn't deserve victory

Hammertime
    That was sobering. Especially when he was worried about multiple intruders.

Lessons learned:

1. Secure the house.
    2. Have a warning system for when house breached.
    3. Guns are equalizers.

That interview would be great testimony in court for why it takes a magazine to stop a fight sometimes....

On an average night the PoPo are 10-20 minutes away...would be hard to fight even for a trained guy for 10 minutes coming out sleep or anytime.

My TKD instructor had his cup broken and finished the match. Almost lost the testicle. Said it didn't hurt till after the match.

Love his warrior mentality..."I might only have 2 minutes to finish this guy" Thank all that is good that he and his family are ok

This shows hands on is a no go unless it is the only option. I think it would be hard to resist going hands on with his skill set....but a $1 screwdriver and that interview might not of happened.

Hopefully he will secure his house properly and acquire the necessary emergency rescue equipment.

Makes one want to be sure the gage is available....

Thanks for posting that, @JodyH that’s a compelling interview. I’ve got a whole pile of thoughts and no time, but there’s some lessons to be learned there.

User Tag List