Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11-87 Compact

11-87 Compact

Does anyone have experience with the 11-87 Compact? I’ve been looking at getting one for the wife for HD for a few years and it looks like they are getting harder to find(discontinued?).

The compact 20 is appealing with the gas operation, shorter stock and smaller overall size. Not opposed to a 12 with better ammo availability but overall size points us towards the 20.

They are hard to find and this seller has two in-stock;

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864714784
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Between the light weight and soft shooting characteristics of the 1301, and twelve gauge low recoil buck, the argument for a twenty gauge ended.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Between the light weight and soft shooting characteristics of the 1301, and twelve gauge low recoil buck, the argument for a twenty gauge ended.
    How’s the weight and overall feel of the 1301 compared to a plain 18.5” M2? I have a M2 but it has the full size stock so her doing much mount work would be counterproductive at 5’2”. I could use it to get a gauge on overall weight and receiver size if comparable.

My friend has the exact 11-87 20 gauge shotgun linked in that gunbroker auction. It is lightweight, compact, and fast handling. It has zero advantage in recoil mitigation compared to a 12 gauge. Yes the 20 gauge cartridge has less recoil, but it's also a lighter gun, so I couldn't tell any difference.

I've not shot a 1301 (yet) but I think what GJM has posited has tremendous merit. Assuming you can get a correct stock fit for your wife on the 1301, I think she would be better served by a quality low recoil 12 gauge load.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    How’s the weight and overall feel of the 1301 compared to a plain 18.5” M2? I have a M2 but it has the full size stock so her doing much mount work would be counterproductive at 5’2”. I could use it to get a gauge on overall weight and receiver size if comparable.
    The weight difference between the 1301 and M2 is negligible. Of much greater import is the recoil and LOP differences.

My wife is 5’3” and perhaps 100 lbs. She prefers the softer recoil of the 1301 over the M2, and way prefers the much shorter LOP of the Magpul stock (on its shortest setting, it’s about half an inch shorter than the Beretta factory stock) on the 1301 over the regular M2 stock. I think Benelli does make a better and slightly shorter stock one could use instead, but it’s horribly expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I understand all the reasons to go with a modern 12 gauge, but my wife's hands are tiny -- a women's S glove can be too big -- and the smaller dimensions of a 20 make it much easier for her to hold.

It's been several years since we last looked at shotguns, so I don't know if that has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I understand all the reasons to go with a modern 12 gauge, but my wife's hands are tiny -- a women's S glove can be too big -- and the smaller dimensions of a 20 make it much easier for her to hold.

It's been several years since we last looked at shotguns, so I don't know if that has changed.

This was my thought on this as well but...

We had shotgun 101 this morning. We discussed ammo availability and research into 12ga ammo and the weight recoil characteristics. She confirmed that logically 12 makes more sense from the ammo side. I broke out the following: 20” Mossberg 500 with Hogue short stock, 18” 870 with Hogue short stock, 18” M2 with factory stock, 20ga Benelli Montefeltro youth.

Take away was that any of them felt fine, no problems with overall size or weight. She actually liked the longer stock on the M2 but didn’t like how far it stretched her on the forearm.

Looks like a 1301 with shorter stock might be the best answer, which is nice since they are more readily available and we are trying to watch spending currently.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    The 1301 is MUCH softer shooting than an M2. The Magpul stock is an option on the 1301 via the Aridus adaptor.

I carry a 14 inch M2 in Alaska, but I have to tell you that despite Benelli’s claim that it’s recoil system is inertial, it really runs on pain. An M2 is not suitable for a recoil sensitive shooter.

Besides weight, important consideration are LOP of the stock and the weight distribution. A shorter stock will be better for a smaller statured person, or someone that wears heavier clothing or a pack. The 1301 stock is easily shortened, where the M2 requires a youth Comfertech at $400. For a smaller statured shooter, I would minimize weight at the muzzle end of the shotgun, like an extended tube or heavy light.

All things considered, a 1301 with the stock spacers pulled and the stock five shot tube is probably ideal — especially when low recoil buck and slugs are used. That said, the shotgun may not be the right long gun choice for a small statured, recoil sensitive shooter. My wife, who is an athletic shooter, really prefers a carbine over the shotgun.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List