Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: LAW folder

There is a set screw that secures the nut that holds the LAW to the receiver. I use Loctite on it. The RE attaches to the LAW the same as it would a normal receiver, so that should be staked, as usual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    Sorry if I missed it somewhere in thread, but does the LAW folder require any staking? Or is it recommended?

I know it's probably a stupid question, but I don't have a way of looking at one in person for a while. This isn't a deal breaker in any way, I was just more curious if anything. Reading around online, all I could see is that there is a set screw that is supposed to perform the same function as staking. For this screw, is anyone using threadlocker? Or is having the buffer tube come undone a complete non-issue?

Thanks
    Funny you should asl that... I was wondering the same thing, did a little research this morning and concluded that it was a good idea.
    So making plans to acquire a square-headed punch for that purpose.

Have many / any of our other LAW users staked the castle nut?

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Funny you should asl that... I was wondering the same thing, did a little research this morning and concluded that it was a good idea.
    So making plans to acquire a square-headed punch for that purpose.

Mine is staked. There isn't anything on the LAW folder to secure the castle nut that isn't there on a standard receiver, so if you'd stake a standard setup there is no reason not to do it with the folder.

Two of mine are staked, and the third just got the PWS system installed, with the locking nut, which they say needs no staking. We will see how that goes

You don't stake the LAW folder the receiver. It has a set screw to prevent rotation. You can/should, however, stake the standard RE endplate/castlenut where it screws into the LAW folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    You don't stake the LAW folder the receiver. It has a set screw to prevent rotation. You can/should, however, stake the standard RE endplate/castlenut where it screws into the LAW folder.
    Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by ChknLivrNWsky View Post
    Sorry if I missed it somewhere in thread, but does the LAW folder require any staking? Or is it recommended?

I know it's probably a stupid question, but I don't have a way of looking at one in person for a while. This isn't a deal breaker in any way, I was just more curious if anything. Reading around online, all I could see is that there is a set screw that is supposed to perform the same function as staking. For this screw, is anyone using threadlocker? Or is having the buffer tube come undone a complete non-issue?

Thanks
    A little late, but as noted it still uses the castle nut on the buffer tube, so staking is a good idea, or the ratcheting end plate / castle nut works great too.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Two of mine are staked, and the third just got the PWS system installed, with the locking nut, which they say needs no staking. We will see how that goes
    Thanks for making me aware of the PWS ratcheting castle nut. I was not aware of those.
    I’ve got one on the way now.

Thanks for making me aware of the PWS ratcheting castle nut. I was not aware of those.
    I’ve got one on the way now.
    I was using those for awhile and while I never had any issues myself, did see a few reports of them loosening so I pulled them off and have gone back to a standard end plate and castle nut. Sorry, I don't remember where I saw that but the risk wasn't worth the slight convenience at that point.

It's also worth considering price difference of the ratcheting gadget thingy vs a simple receiver endplate. Apparently, end plates can also be re-used. For disclosure, I still haven't staked my RE that's used with the LAW folder.

User Tag List