Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LAW folder

LAW folder

I am gonna get a short setup with a brace, and @GJM is advising me to consider a LAW folder. I preface with never seeing one in person. I looked at the videos etc and have two reservations. A smaller one is that if it somehow unlocks, the carbine is not operational, unlike side folder AK or SCAR etc. A bigger concern is that the BCG carrier needs that little extension which is simply pushed in and appears to be just a friction fit. If it were to fall out, gun's dead.

I welcome all personal experiences and comments in this regard. I especially welcome any info if this unit has been appropriately tested and accepted (or rejected) by any professional entities.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I am gonna get a short setup with a brace, and @GJM is advising me to consider a LAW folder. I preface with never seeing one in person. I looked at the videos etc and have two reservations. A smaller one is that if it somehow unlocks, the carbine is not operational, unlike side folder AK or SCAR etc. A bigger concern is that the BCG carrier needs that little extension which is simply pushed in and appears to be just a friction fit. If it were to fall out, gun's dead.

I welcome all personal experiences and comments in this regard. I especially welcome any info if this unit has been appropriately tested and accepted (or rejected) by any professional entities.
    It won’t somehow unlock. The lock button isn’t that big, the travel and effort are large enough that it’s quite deliberate.

Even unlocked it can be fired once, it’s just that the BCG won’t reciprocate and hence it won’t reload until it’s folded open and the charging handle has been run.

If it does get fired that way, there’s a flat rubber ring near the end of that “extension” that takes the full force of the firing, and they say it will handle the wear a few times but it’s not exactly the intended wear scenario. Spinning the rubber ring to a different rotational location can help spread out the wear if that ends up being needed, or buy spares of the ring. Or don’t fire folded (the gist of it is they don’t want people thinking it’s some cool trick to fire the gun folded).

That “extension” has a friction fit O-ring into the tail end of the BCG. It’s a bitch to get in when new and even after coming in and out a few times, the extension gives no hint it would ever fall out. You have to pull and twist simultaneously to get mine out. The fit I can vouch for is with a Toolcraft BCG which is definitely “mil-spec” on tolerances and I believe an OEM for some big companies.

The latch on the Law is pretty sturdy and the button to release it and fold the stock over is small enough that you’d have to get pretty unlucky for something to bump it. I haven’t heard any reports about issues with the button being accidentally depressed. Your other concern is a non issue. While the little extension that goes into your carrier is friction fit, there is a metal piece that prevents your bolt from moving rearward with the stock folded. This metal piece prevents the bolt extension piece from falling out. In order to remove it you have to depress the button that lets you fold the stock.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

You won't regret it, very well built and your concerns aren't really issues.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    You won't regret it, very well built and your concerns aren't really issues.
    This ^^^.

The current LAW folder (Gen III) is completely de bugged. I’ve had one on my SOLGW pistol for three years with about 3k rounds on it, about 1/2 suppressed.

A side benefit of the LAW is it adds some length to the cycle of operation like the VLTOR A5 buffer system which help improve reliability.

I just finished installing one on a braced 11.5" pistol- went together easy and like others have said it appears your concerns have been resolved with the design.

A couple things to be cautious of:
    -There is some debate/data that the extra length of the LAW may create problems with length of pull for braced pistols. From what I was able to research (which was frankly slim) there might be some precedent that a LOP over 13.5" creates a SBR even if using an otherwise compliant pistol with a brace. Apparently this is based upon an ATF letter to one particular manufacturer and to my non-lawyer mind really sounds like a gray area. In an abundance of caution I filled the last detent hole on my buffer tube so my SBA3 could not exceed 13.5" LOP.
    -Just a reminder the ATF changed how they measure OAL last year. The current standard is with the stock/brace folded. For most I doubt it matters, but if you were planning on building one of those "firearm" things with OAL over 26" and a brace, the LAW is probably not your jam...
    Last edited by DpdG; 04-10-2020 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Clarity
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Do any manufacturers produce either a complete pistol with a law installed or a complete lower with law installed?

Quote Originally Posted by EPF View Post
    Do any manufacturers produce either a complete pistol with a law installed or a complete lower with law installed?
    Off the top of my head, Daniel Defense and SOLGW both do.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    I just finished installing one on a braced 11.5" pistol- went together easy and like others have said it appears your concerns have been resolved with the design.

A couple things to be cautious of:
    -There is some debate/data that the extra length of the LAW may create problems with length of pull for braced pistols. From what I was able to research (which was frankly slim) there might be some precedent that a LOP over 13.5" creates a SBR even if using an otherwise compliant pistol with a brace. Apparently this is based upon an ATF letter to one particular manufacturer and to my non-lawyer mind really sounds like a gray area. In an abundance of caution I filled the last detent hole on my buffer tube so my SBA3 could not exceed 13.5" LOP.
    -Just a reminder the ATF changed how they measure OAL last year. The current standard is with the stock/brace folded. For most I doubt it matters, but if you were planning on building one of those "firearm" things with OAL over 26" and a brace, the LAW is probably not your jam...
    If i remember correctly the length issue doesn't have to do with it making it an SBR, but has more to do with whether or not you can put a vertical fore grip on the gun. I believe some states have a limit on the length of a "pistol" , but if it exceeds a certain length then a fore grip may or may not be ok on a braced weapon depending on how the length is measured according to ATF.

Site Supporter
    I installed two LAW folders recently and I am pleased with them. They serve the purpose of reducing length folded very well.

User Tag List