Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget/value AR Purchase Question

Budget/value AR Purchase Question

I have a good friend, recently retired teacher who is wanting to purchase an AR. Actually, it’s his wife that wants them to get one (!). He is a pretty typical shooter—doesn’t shoot a ton but is very responsible. I don't expect it will be a hard-use rifle, but I obviously want him to buy quality. I do recognize that “budget” and “value” do not mean the same thing. I’m asking for recommendations for the best budget trifle that is also a value.

Price wise, this is hard to bear, but is it good enough? https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ight-set3.html

Other options? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I have a good friend, recently retired teacher who is wanting to purchase an AR. Actually, it’s his wife that wants them to get one (!). He is a pretty typical shooter—doesn’t shoot a ton but is very responsible. I don't expect it will be a hard-use rifle, but I obviously want him to buy quality. I do recognize that “budget” and “value” do not mean the same thing. I’m asking for recommendations for the best budget trifle that is also a value.

Price wise, this is hard to bear, but is it good enough? https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ight-set3.html

Other options? Thanks!

Just searched “budget AR” using the search function in the upper corner and found much info. Some of it is a couple years old but I doubt the answer has changed much. It might be faster to go this route as it will take several days to get SME’s to answer.

Usually it’s best to give a total budget as one must generally include an optic magazines, 3 to 5 cases of ammo, and probably a training class or two also probably a light and a sling.

Less expensive rifles are generally going to wear out their parts faster and going to require replacement so sometimes one is not saving money to not invest at the beginning. Also, buying a quality rifle allows you to trade or sell it down the road and retain much more value, if your needs change.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post

Other options? Thanks!
    Number one recommendation for a budget AR continues to be the smith and Wesson M&P 15 sport II.

PSA has gotten better, they are now making their own barrels, receivers and rails, but they are still using substandard, imported springs and small parts.

I don’t have first-hand experience, but I’ve heard good things about the IWI ARs for the money.

Aero Precision has some of the same issues as PSA.

Colt. Chances are good it'll shoot good right out of the box, although it should be cleaned of the factory preservative and lubed first.

Palmetto isn't a good starter AR. If the buyer isn't experienced with troubleshooting or doesn't know what to look for in an AR, the Palmetto can be a frustrating time consuming money pit.

Too many other AR makers don't use top notch springs. Certain springs, which are common failure points, can be frustrating to troubleshoot for the neophyte.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I bought that same upper like 3 years ago. Its been totally reliable and more accurate than you would believe. I really like the pencil profile of the barrel, good for a lightweight build. It spent some time as dedicated 22lr upper, and I've since rebuilt it back to stock and it is my "backup AR" upper.

I hate the lack of a continuous top rail and dislike how skinny the rail is and lack of 45deg mlok slots. My handguard bolts were missing loctite when I got it. The barrel nut was ridiculously hard to remove.

I also have a lower from them similar to the one on that rifle and it has been fine as well, though with more upper/lower play than my more expensive AR's.

Low sample size and all, but I think PSA is the way to go for a budget AR.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Number one recommendation for a budget AR continues to be the smith and Wesson M&P 15 sport II.

PSA has gotten better, they are now making their own barrels, receivers and rails, but they are still using substandard, imported springs and small parts.

I don’t have first-hand experience, but I’ve heard good things about the IWI ARs for the money.

Aero Precision has some of the same issues as PSA.
    How can you tell if the small parts and springs are imported?
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I’m sure you’ve seen this thread.

Buy a complete lower at your LGS https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1024035719?pid=881307, add this https://www.larue.com/products/larue...e-ar-15-upper/ and a trigger, and for about 2x as much you have a weapon that’s 10x better.

I’ve long ago abandoned trying to be any kind of firearm proselytizer. If you only want to pay $600, you’re going to get a $600 rifle and everything that does (and doesn’t) come along with that. Truth is, these budget weapons are probably ok. And by that I mean, “just ok”. If you don’t use them hard or often you’re not really setting yourself up for failure, you’re just not exactly set up for success either.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    How can you tell if the small parts and springs are imported?

You can see the finish looks “off” vs quality springs. Otherwise, you can’t, can’t that’s what companies like AERO and PSA are betting on.

On M4C, guys who do work for other manufacturers are quick to point out that PSA buys reject parts. Unsurprisingly, when asked for proof it's crickets. The only 'substantive' reply I've every received is it's common knowledge within the industry..

If you look at the data, PSA makes and sells a lot of AR's: https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...t-report-afmer

BCM - 5,681 rifles mfg - 17,130 misc f/a mfg (serial numbered lowers, etc.)

Colt - 23,995 rifles mfg - 1263 misc f/a mfg (serial numbered lowers, etc.)

PSA = 60,438 rifles mfg - 289,537 misc f/a mfg (serial numbered lowers, etc.)

Aside from that, they probably sell several times the number of LPK's that, as an example, BCM does.

There are obviously QC problems that can go along with quantity sales; OTOH, I'd imagine that if you were buying triggers and hammers from Schmid, that guy that buys 60,000 probably gets a better price then the guy buying 5,000

PSA and BCM (as an example) obviously have different business models. PSA is figuratively making Ford Focuses, and BCM is making Mercedes A Classes. At the end of the day they both get you there. The Indian still makes more difference than the arrow.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Speaking of rejects, the other day Mike at SOLGW said in a recent podcast that they reject 10% of incoming gas tubes for being out of spec.

This is why it's a better idea to only buy from reputable brands with known QC standards regardless of whether its a complete gun or parts.
    Last edited by Paul Blackburn; 12-31-2022 at 06:50 PM.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

User Tag List