Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P357 feedback?

I have a P2000 V2 LEM in 357 Sig, came with a spare 40 barrel. I actually prefer the 357 Sig setup over the same gun with the 40 barrel; the 357 recoil pulse feels faster and sharper and comes back on target a little faster for me. I don't shoot either quite as well as my 9mm P2000 with the same trigger setup though, I'm slightly more accurate with 9mm (measured) and I think a bit faster (gut feeling). Oh, and while I don't particularly notice muzzle blast outdoors in daytime, at the indoor range the 357 is for sure more distracting to the guy next to me. There have been "what is that?" comments.

The original intent was to use it as a backcountry gun that was similar to my in town 9mm. After thinking it through though, there really aren't any ammo selections that are well suited to big animals, pretty much just JHP and FMJ, few heavy bullet options, even fewer non-lead options now that the California regs have kicked in for taking wildlife. So I moved to a USP45 for backcountry, or sometimes a big bore N-frame revolver.

That left the 357 Sig pistol without much of a niche. In town it's just a slightly faster 9mm, not a lot of difference in carry ammo cost but a bunch in practice ammo, and more finicky to reload. The P2000 was perfectly reliable in 357, I just don't see a lot of advantage to offset the practice cost. I have nothing against it, but feel like 9mm can get the job done effectively. Thus it sits in the safe, haven't fired it in maybe two years. Although I probably should use up the rest of the practice ammo, couple hundred rounds just sitting there.

I haven't seen another P2000 in 357 Sig for sale since I bought mine from a SoCal LE guy (suburb of San Diego, he said it had been his duty weapon for a while) five or six years ago, admittedly haven't really been looking. Barrels turn up sometimes and should drop in a 40.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    The combination of the LEM and .357 SIG was difficult for me to shoot well. There are shooters who could make it work, but I was not one of them. What made it so bad was that I should have known that and spent $800 more productively. Looking back my reasoning for buying it was silly and immature, but I guess that's one way you learn.

I have no doubt that they are durable guns and of the highest quality, it was just a terrible combo for me. The DAK P226 I was issued was easier for me to shoot, though my personal DAK P226 .357 had to go back to Sig for failures to feed.

What other guns were included besides the HKs, Sigs and Glocks?
    Not included, submitted. The others were covered by NDA. theoretically Pistols made in Croatia, Italy, Maryland and Massachusetts might have done badly with the Croat wonder literally self destructing.

The M&P wasn’t yet a thing in 2004.

I have a G31 .357 SIG barrel en route from Glock (eventually, due to COVID-19) to drop into my Gen4 G22; essentially "just because." I still have a small stock of quality .357 SIG cartridges, and getting the barrel versus an entire gun for a boutique-ish whim made the most sense.

Underwood does have a prety decent selection of .357 SIG https://www.underwoodammo.com/collec...tridge_357-sig so that'll likely be my choice for any hiking/backwoods use.

It'll be interesting to see how the G22's .40 calibrated sights work with .357 SIG; my concern is that it'll shoot low with it.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I wonder how a .357 SIG would be with a red dot and Comp ?
    That's kind of what got the whole thought exercise started. Someone in the big PDW thread mentioned long-ish shots on say, a blocked highway and I thought a fast and flat pistol caliber could be viable. Something bigger than a .22 TCM but smaller than a rifle caliber. Sort of a like having a long-slide 10mm but even more snow-flakey.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    I've been meaning to pick some up, as I only have 73 rounds. Where did you find a reasonable price?
    I didn't pay close attention I was doing a quick scroll through an Ammoseek search mainly looking at prices, not vendors. IIRC I was seeing stuff in the $15/50 range?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

NC highway patrol 357 M&P problems

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I feel like exploring the .357 SIG rabbit hole and the M&P is my platform of choice. I never see anything about the M&P357.

Did they sell in such limited numbers there aren't enough in the hands of the unwashed masses to get good feedback or were they a dumpster fire that didn't deserve any attention? Was there ever a 5" like the M&P40?
    Link to above article.

https://bearingarms.com/ba-staff/201...7-sig-pistols/

I bought one around 2012. it was a ridiculous LE trade in deal where I think I paid about $350 for a like new gun. I had been running a SIG 2022 which I really liked and was a terrific shooter, but for me, even in a great holster, was a PIA to conceal. I had been looking for something else to try and since I did not want a Glock, this seemed like a good chance to test soemthing else.

I had zero issues with it. Ended up putting about 7k rounds through it, including a couple of pistol classes with Tom Givens and a couple of regional guys, as well as a couple of ECQCs. Excellent shooter, very accurate (which was a tad funny when I was reading all the online reports on the accuracy issues with the 9mm models), and soaked up the recoil surprisingly well. Trigger was decent too, which may have been because I did a ton of dryfire with it. I know that is not a ton of work with it, and it is sample of one, but I only had two failures to feed, and never a failure to extract. When I hosted Paul Sharp for a pistol class, he actually ran the pistol (shooting my ammo BTW!) and was almost giddy with how much fun it was and how easy it was to shoot.

The only reason I stopped carrying it was I just cannot wrap my head around carrying a striker gun without an external safety (or gadget) AIWB. Mine did not have the thumb safety, and it was an older one that you couldn't add one. I still have the thumb safety that I bought before I found that out....

I can't speak to long term 10k+ durability, but man, sometimes I miss that gun and have nothing bad to say about it or the round.

I still am sitting on about 6oo rounds of Gold Dot 357sig HPs. There is some voice in the back of the head that every now and then says "buy another one and shoot the GDs"
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    That's kind of what got the whole thought exercise started. Someone in the big PDW thread mentioned long-ish shots on say, a blocked highway and I thought a fast and flat pistol caliber could be viable. Something bigger than a .22 TCM but smaller than a rifle caliber. Sort of a like having a long-slide 10mm but even more snow-flakey.

I didn't pay close attention I was doing a quick scroll through an Ammoseek search mainly looking at prices, not vendors. IIRC I was seeing stuff in the $15/50 range?
    The reality is that hot 9 mm ammunition shoots just as flat. The real issue with a longer shot with a pistol in that scenario is hitting stuff under contested conditions, rather than what you’re hitting them with.

The advantage of a PVW is primarily the form factor of a long gun in a small package, not necessarily the round.

I've zero knowledge regarding an S&W M&P in .357SIG. I no longer see one on S&W's website which, at least, tells me there wasn't much of a market for one. Looking at Sig Sauer's website, I don't see a wide selection of .357SIG chambered handguns, but there are about a half-dozen or so.

I did previously own a Glock 31 Gen3, which I bought during the previous Obama-era ammo shortage, but finally sold it off along with any left-over ammo. For someone considering just getting a .357SIG barrel to convert their existing .40S&W Glock, .357SIG caliber Glocks do come with the next size up rear sight (usually a 6.9mm, instead of a 6.5mm).

My G31gen3 actually experienced its left rear frame rail breaking off at ~5K rounds (it wasn't from the older, bad batch of Glocks but broke anyway). Glock replaced the frame, but I did have to ship the original gun back at my expense. The 2nd frame was doing fine with another 8,700 rounds when I sold it.

Further on the .357SIG and M&P guns. Before retirement, I worked next to a sister-LE agency which carried .357SIG which used a SIG P229 (I think it was a DAK) but we never had our guns out at the same time and I don't recall ever talking guns with any Alameda County, CA Deputies). I suspect Alameda County has changed its issued-handgun by now, but don't know.

The only M&P agency I'm aware of is the CHP (Calif. Highway Patrol) which uses .40S&W, but I don't think they got these to replace their S&W 4006 guns until after I retired. Again, I don't think I ever worked along side a CHP with our guns out and haven't talked guns with any of them.

I've not heard anything good or bad about the CHP's M&P .40 guns. I also don't know their exact configuration, such as barrel length or what safeties they spec'd & chose (e.g. mag safety, thumb-safety, y/n?).
    Last edited by L-2; 04-10-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have a Glock 20 that is a project gun. Looking to pick up a 9x23 Dillon barrel because coolness. Doubt I will ever use it for more than a range toy. I still have my P229 .357 Sig barrel, and if my brother ever gives my decade long loan P229 I will play with it some more.

pat

The reality is that hot 9 mm ammunition shoots just as flat.
    I hadn't gotten that far in the thought process. Like 124g NATO spec stuff?

The advantage of a PVW is primarily the form factor of a long gun in a small package, not necessarily the round.
    Yes, I don't think having that third point of contact should be underestimated at all.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List