Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P357 feedback?

M&P357 feedback?

I feel like exploring the .357 SIG rabbit hole and the M&P is my platform of choice. I never see anything about the M&P357.

Did they sell in such limited numbers there aren't enough in the hands of the unwashed masses to get good feedback or were they a dumpster fire that didn't deserve any attention? Was there ever a 5" like the M&P40?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    I feel like exploring the .357 SIG rabbit hole and the M&P is my platform of choice. I never see anything about the M&P357.

Did they sell in such limited numbers there aren't enough in the hands of the unwashed masses to get good feedback or were they a dumpster fire that didn't deserve any attention? Was there ever a 5" like the M&P40?

My understanding is that the agencies who issued them in .357 Sig had issues with them. I cannot back that up, but I bet someone here can give you better info.

My P226 DAK in .357 was "ok".

They didn’t make a ton of them, and at one point were just making them for LE agencies. I bought an agency overrun gun that one of my local dealers got in 2010 or so. I never shot it much.

North Carolina State Highway Patrol switched to them, but had problems, and ended up going back to Sig.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/no...uns/335118657/

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    My understanding is that the agencies who issued them in .357 Sig had issues with them. I cannot back that up, but I bet someone here can give you better info.

Same boat here.

Our SHP issued them for a while, but have since switched. Heard they had a lot of trouble, but no firsthand direct knowledge.

I had a standard P226 in .357 back around the early 2000’s. Worked fine but I never put it through a lot of use.

cc

tc215 beat me to it

Was recently listening to Kyle Lamb's podcast with Vickers and Lamb he mentions how he doesn't like the round.

Seemed like the two highest profile users were USSS and FAMS. Secret Service recently dumped it for 9mm which would leave FAMS as the last hope.

http://kylelamb.libsyn.com/episode-7...-the-gun-world

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post

Several state police agencies (NM, NC etc) adopted and quickly found they had durability issues not seen in the .40 versions.

NM switched to M&P's in 9mm. NC went from SIG P229s in 357 to M&Ps in 357 then switched back to SIG P226s in .357. I hear they may go to the P320 in 357. NCHP loves them some 357.

A couple members here bought them during the surplus sales and converted them to 9mm.

The only platforms that have proven durable with .357 were the SIG P226/229/239 and the HK USP Compact/P2000.

Most significant and prolific LE users of .357 SIG, including USSS, FAMS (USSS jr) and most of the state agencies like TX DPS and VA SP ran SIG P226s or SIG P229s.

You could likely get a conversion barrel for a USP 40 or a gen 4 G22/35. Gen 3 Glocks also had durability issues in .357 but the gen 4's double recoil system should hold up better.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-09-2020 at 08:42 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    I have a 357 barrel for my M&P40. Very glad I only paid $70. I got failure to feeds immediately, which are pretty damn rare with the M&P platform.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Well, I'll climb out of this rabbit hole and consider it explored then. I wondered why I never heard much about the M&P357s, now I know.

I got a wild hair this morning thinking about calibers that appeared to be readily available and still reasonably priced and 357 SIG seemed to fit the bill. My one experience with it was 10+ years ago when I put a mag through a friend's 229. I didn't care for the snappiness which is why I was considering a 5" (or longer) barrel.

I've got enough stupid projects needing my time and attention, I see no reason to add this one to the list.

Thanks!

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Vending Machine Operator
    Oh! For what it's worth, I did own a former North Dakota Highway Patrol P226 in .40 with a .357 barrel and both of those ran amazing. I think the P226/P229 would be my platform of choice for .357. For .40, Beretta PX4, P229, or M&P.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I think the P226/P229 would be my platform of choice for .357. For .40, Beretta PX4, P229, or M&P.
    I liked the 9mm PX4 Compact I had, sold it to fund something else I wanted to try. I know where a full size .40 PX4 is (or at least was before the boogaloo flu hit) that I find tempting. They've had it for a while and might be willing to deal if it was odd enough to escape the panic buyers.

User Tag List