Thread: Self Defense For the Unarmed

Self Defense For the Unarmed

An advert for the Byrna pepper ball/rubber ball discharger showed up on Facebook.
    Is this a Known Thing?

https://byrna.com
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Never heard of it.

The similar Kimber offering was a flop in the online review of it I read several years ago, sorry don't recall where.

My thinking about these "gun-like" pepper devices would be, why go to the trouble of carrying a pistol-shaped heavy object that puts OC on target, when you could carry a real sidearm for the same amount of inconvenience, along with a reliable, compact OC spray device?
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I know it wasn't posed as a question, but when someone says, "Self Defense for the Unarmed" -

My immediate smart ass response is, "Do not be unarmed."

Followed by a more serious response that is - grappling and striking pick one from each category below and you'll probably be okay:

Grappling: Brazilian Jui Jitsu or Greco-Roman Wrestling

Striking: Muay Thai or Western Boxing

___

It's no surprise, to me, that @Cecil Burch, @SouthNarc, and @Paul Sharp have developed curricula for unarmed and contact weapon combatives that focuses on implementing techniques from those four disciplines almost to the exclusion of every other discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    why go to the trouble of carrying a pistol-shaped heavy object that puts OC on target, when you could carry a real sidearm for the same amount of inconvenience, along with a reliable, compact OC spray device?
    Because there still places that exist where one can't legally carry a real sidearm? Granted the smaller, more conventional OC probably still makes more sense.
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

no one is unarmed now

In the current situation, just act like you are holding a sneeze back.

Scarier than pepper spray, even if it is gun shaped!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Whenever I think of these pepper ball shooters I kinda figured you'd want something like an actual paintball gun because you have to hose down someone with projectiles to get a good effect.

https://youtu.be/C5Akyh63zU4

This guy on YouTube did a review of something similar. He's a former cop I think and he does a lot of self defense gear reviews.

He's also got a background in kickboxing/martial arts, which is a decent idea.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

User Tag List