Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Nighthawk Tactical Ready Series

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    There is a reason a significant number of competition shooters in Ltd. & Open divisions carry a mag brush / silicone impregnated rags in their bags, have dedicated match mags and are are obsessive about disassembling and cleaning them just about any time they hit the ground at a match.
    Yep, and "tuning" 2011 mags was also a cottage industry before this latest iteration of the STI Duty Level guns.
    But my question was, who is running the P or C series, with the appropriate Gen1 or Gen2 mags and having issues? Issues that render it NOT Duty capable?

I understand that guns for games tend to be a bit more "sensitive". Think about it, STI makes the distinction, here are our "duty" level pistols, these are our competitive gaming guns. Perhaps we should take that into account before we start painting with a broad brush and opining that 2011's are not duty capable.

I didn't write my posting to be contentious, if I want to be contentious I'll start a Lube Thread, cause that will surely get the poo flinging going.

I just genuinely want to know.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

I have not had any issues with the current Gen 2 mags in my Staccato P duo. I am running a DPP on it and using the standard spring. I have the 17 round and 20 round mags. It seems every one that I saw posting in the STI thread had the same experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Yep, and "tuning" 2011 mags was also a cottage industry before this latest iteration of the STI Duty Level guns.
    But my question was, who is running the P or C series, with the appropriate Gen1 or Gen2 mags and having issues? Issues that render it NOT Duty capable?

I understand that guns for games tend to be a bit more "sensitive". Think about it, STI makes the distinction, here are our "duty" level pistols, these are our competitive gaming guns. Perhaps we should take that into account before we start painting with a broad brush and opining that 2011's are not duty capable.

I didn't write my posting to be contentious, if I want to be contentious I'll start a Lube Thread, cause that will surely get the poo flinging going.

I just genuinely want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I have not had any issues with the current Gen 2 mags in my Staccato P duo. I am running a DPP on it and using the standard spring. I have the 17 round and 20 round mags. It seems every one that I saw posting in the STI thread had the same experiences.
    Thanks for the info.
    Is yours a 2019 or 2020 model?
    Gen 1 or 2 mags?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke

2020 model, gen2 mags. Some have the phosphate black coating, some are the shiny stainless. All work well.

Thanks for the info.
    Is yours a 2019 or 2020 model?
    Gen 1 or 2 mags?

Ed Cameron said the trigger was nearly 5 pounds on my pistol when he measured it, and the grip safety required so much effort to disengage it, it became the complete focus of my shooting. I have dozens of 1911 pistols, most of which were built for defense not competition, and I wouldn’t accept that on any of them. $2,500 is not high end but still a significant amount, and not something I have experienced on a 1911, whether built or modified by Heinie, Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer, JoJo’s, 10-8, or others. I can’t imagine someone that has experienced good 1911 pistols thinking this was good.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Shortened your quote just a bit, but I am one who actually thinks the new versions of these STI guns are probably duty ready and concealed carry ready (for those that are suited for that role). I've only experience with the 2019 version Staccato P DUO and it ran flawlessly and was clearly very well-built. I've only watched reviews and researched the other models and tried to take in as much info as possible. I stated this earlier, but I think that the weak point, if there really is one, is still the magazines, not the guns. The magazine design, in my opinion, lends them to having their tolerances open up over time, use, dropping them, etc. They are not as robust as a single stack mag because they are obviously wider and they are not like a polymer Glock mag. If they're dropped and used a lot I just see them "bending" and opening up more than other types of mags that I'm used to and I think that's where anyone is going to run into issues.

I had this happen with my Nighthawk double stack 9mm. Gun ran fine with 5 gen 2 STI mags. 2 of the mags were 17 rounders and 3 of the mags were the 20/21 rounders. After a bit of use and time and dropping the mags on concrete, one of the 20/21 round mags started causing issues in the NH which was otherwise flawless for thousands of rounds. I could duplicate the malfunctions, but only with that one mag. They were clearly a magazine issue because they weren't even causing a common pistol malfunction. Instead, about halfway through that magazine, I would get a click and no bang. When I would take the magazine out it was as if the spring and follower got stuck down in the mag so the remaining rounds were just loose in the mag tube. I'd usually end up with rounds just falling out of the mag at that point.

Again, I think these new STI, Nighthawk, Chambers Custom, etc. double stacks are great and if you are running into issues they're probably still STI gen 2 mag related, but significantly less than the issues experienced with the gen 1 mags and seemingly solved possibly much better with tuned MBX mags (I've no experience with those yet).
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Ed Cameron was actually describing continuing issues with 2011 magazines on a call with me earlier today. I had sent him a 9 Major Open gun he built, to make it reliable with box 9mm minor ammo. He mentioned the 155mm MBX magazine I sent him would intermittently bind up, and have the rounds sprinkle out. He mentioned some people think the MBX followers and springs are junk, some think Grams springs and followers are junk, and some think they are all junk.

For some perspective, I attended NTI 6 or 7 about twenty years ago at Gunsite carrying a 1911 with a G23 as a BUG. The next year, I attended NTI carrying a STI in .45 acp. I never could get that gun to be reliable enough to trust it for carry.

It is very easy to get spoiled with Glock, CZ, Beretta and HK magazines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Ed Cameron was actually describing continuing issues with 2011 magazines on a call with me earlier today. I had sent him a 9 Major Open gun he built, to make it reliable with box 9mm minor ammo. He mentioned the 155mm MBX magazine I sent him would intermittently bind up, and have the rounds sprinkle out. He mentioned some people think the MBX followers and springs are junk, some think Grams springs and followers are junk, and some think they are all junk.

For some perspective, I attended NTI 6 or 7 about twenty years ago at Gunsite carrying a 1911 with a G23 as a BUG. The next year, I attended NTI carrying a STI in .45 acp. I never could get that gun to be reliable enough to trust it for carry.

That seems to be exactly what I experienced - the STI gen 2 mag would intermittently bind up and I’d end up with rounds sprinkling out.

Also agree regarding Glock and Beretta mags. I’ve no experience with CZ or HK mags, but my Glock and Beretta mags have been beat to shit and it doesn’t seem to bother them for a looooong time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram @usmc_k9_vet
    Guncrafter Industries: NN LW CCO 9mm Nighthawk: Talon .45, GRP Double Stack 9mm, Predator T5 9mm Volkmann Precision: Combat Carry 9mm Wilson Combat: 92G Brig Tac, 92G CC

Quote Originally Posted by usmc_k9_vet View Post
    That seems to be exactly what I experienced - the STI gen 2 mag would intermittently bind up and I’d end up with rounds sprinkling out.

Also agree regarding Glock and Beretta mags. I’ve no experience with CZ or HK mags, but my Glock and Beretta mags have been beat to shit and it doesn’t seem to bother them for a looooong time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is so true. Until my brand new G45 had a magazine that hung the follower twice. After 3 load/unload cycles it never did it again. Actually shook me up a little bit, because Glock Perfection and all that. Just reaffirmed ain't nothing perfect and to always keep working on my malfunction drills.

I have no doubt that grip safety was "off" for some reason, I mean after all, (I say this only half jokingly), you've probably held more pistols than Hugh Hefner has held women. So I know you know how it it is supposed to feel.

I know I've been really happy with my single stack 2011, and I really want to make the move to a double stack and run a red dot, but I still have my lingering doubts.

I guess when it comes to double stack 2011's,
    Name:  3wu58s.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  45.2 KB

User Tag List