Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paranoid? Hardly.

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Meh, those stats don't really sound solid. Although good people do get hurt in violent crimes a large percentage of these victims were likely doing things they shouldn't be doing(involved in and with the criminal element). Ask any cop in pretty much any city and almost all the murders and serious assaults (weapon involved/serious bodily injury) are going to be players hurting players which skews the data as far as an average Joe being a victim. This being said, I still recommend carrying...you never can be to safe.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Tom, related question to that. Was the information from the 60-odd shootings your students were in ever published anywhere? Like something handy I could reference for articles, etc?
    Not Tom but he did publish a DVD about his findings.Worth locating IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Tom, related question to that. Was the information from the 60-odd shootings your students were in ever published anywhere? Like something handy I could reference for articles, etc?
    Yes, they are published in this very well-researched tome: https://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Car...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

They make excellent gifts, too. I have given two copies to family members, and one to a pastor in my neighborhood. All were well received.

I hear that if you buy a copy and ask him nicely in person, Tom will even autograph it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    On occasion, a single post here goes into my screenshot file. This is one of those posts.
    Added to my favorites list. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yes, they are published in this very well-researched tome: https://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Car...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

They make excellent gifts, too. I have given two copies to family members, and one to a pastor in my neighborhood. All were well received.

I hear that if you buy a copy and ask him nicely in person, Tom will even autograph it.
    Thanks for the link. Amazon prime will be my ruination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    Thanks for the link. Amazon prime will be my ruination.
    Same, I clicked the link and immediately bought the kindle book.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Ok, but for the sake of accuracy, the problem with both those arguments as stated -- for auto accidents and violent crimes -- is that the calculated "odds" are based on a uniform, random distribution of events. In real life there are many things you can do to change your odds of being involved.

I'm not arguing that wearing a seatbelt or carrying a handgun is irrational. I'm just saying that calculating the odds for any specific person is more complex than those numbers.

Attachment 51574
    Attachment 51575
    Mississippi is an oasis of tranquility and all parts of South Carolina are incredibly violent?

Clearly Mississippi's threshold and/or ability to report violent crime are not the same as its neighbors. Which just shows you how difficult crime stats are.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Mississippi is an oasis of tranquility and all parts of South Carolina are incredibly violent?

Clearly Mississippi's threshold and/or ability to report violent crime are not the same as its neighbors. Which just shows you how difficult crime stats are.
    Meanwhile, South Carolina appears to really be putting their backs into it!

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Which just shows you how difficult crime stats are.
    Yep.

When I lived in inner city Chicago, I could see violent crime a few times a year by just looking out the window. When we called it in LE was usually already busy on something worse, on a good night the response was reasonably rapid. And there are far worse neighborhoods than the rapidly gentrifying one I lived in.

Now, in a much smaller place, a county with only 140,000 people but still showing as a moderate violent crime rate... in reality we had about 10 homicides in all of 2019 and all of those were druggie on druggie and concentrated in a few small areas. Similar for other violent crimes. I've had to work in two places over the past few years that I considered higher risk, most of my time is spent in places where violent crime is rare.

Scale, reporting methods, context, they all matter. Yes, bad things can happen anywhere on any given day and some of those things may not be in our control; however we make decisions on a regular basis that can increase or decrease our risk.

User Tag List