Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chag Pesach Sameach

Site Supporter
    noun: afikomen

A piece broken off from a matzo during a Seder and put aside to be eaten at the end of the meal. It is traditionally hidden during the Seder to be searched for by the children present.
    My 14 year old but well formed cousin hid a piece in her bra. Hilarity and itching ensued.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Manischewitz
    Even as a kid I knew that stuff sucked.
    As a beer swilling teenager, even then I avoided the Passover wine.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Me too, Glen.

A female Sommellier/wine industry gal I know was instrumental in getting better practices on Kosher wine production implemented in Israel, Spain, Italy, and the US, and helping import the same. Those wines are often actually good, now.
    She's not Jewish -rather a Spanish/Italian Catholic- but I think she ought to be counted as Righteous among the nations nevertheless!
    There was a joke about Kosher wine in Judd for the Defense. Earl Holliman played a sheriff wrongfully accused of murdering civil rights workers. What I remember was a scene in an empty bar, only Judd and the Sheriff were in the place. Judd asked the Sheriff what he liked to drink. The Sheriff said something about how the owner kept a special bottle there for him; he rooted around under the bar and pulled out a bottle of Manischevitz.

Funny think: My family watched that show each week, but that's the only one I can remember.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Even as a kid I knew that stuff sucked.
    As a beer swilling teenager, even then I avoided the Passover wine.
    It can't have been as bad as Bali Hai. Just saying. Even the recollection makes me queasy.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    I knew a Polish Catholic family that kept a bottle for drinks and company as they like sweet wine, not the standard stuff, and this was before supermarkets carried upscale sweet stuff.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It can't have been as bad as Bali Hai. Just saying. Even the recollection makes me queasy.
    Never had the displeasure myself. Drank a lot of Riunite with the GF and plenty of Boone's Farm on the front porch of the rent house at college. I have never purchased Manishewitz wine, but have had lots of their Matzoh (egg & onion if you can find it) and their matzoh ball soup mix is legit, as good as grandma's.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Chag Pesach Sameach

I’ll take manischewitz over gefilte fish. No matter how much horse radish you put on, it’s still nasty. My mom had a recipe for fake gefilte using chicken or guinea pig, if you were too poor to afford real fish.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’ll take manischewitz over gefilte fish. No matter how much horse radish you put on, it’s still nasty. My mom had a recipe for fake gefilte using chicken or guinea pig, if you were too poor to afford real fish.
    You and me both. If I was ever captured by enemy agents, they could skip the waterboarding and go straight to gefilte fish. I'd give it up in a second.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    ^^^ Gefilte fish with the red Batampte horse radish is delish!

I think I mentioned previously that a friends grandmother used to make matzoh brei for us and instead of using water she would soak the matzohs in the warmed up jelly from the gefilte fish. I need to try and recreate that some day... I remember it fondly. We'd put a little pancake syrup on it and scarf down a whole box of matzoh with a dozen eggs in one sitting.

https://www.zabars.com/WATMAN_MATZOH_BRYE.html

Anyone ever try p'tcha? I make a mean jellied cows feet! mmmmmm.

Mine is WAY better than this.. With lots of garlic and dill.. https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-lif...aring-delicacy

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You and me both. If I was ever captured by enemy agents, they could skip the waterboarding and go straight to gefilte fish. I'd give it up in a second.
    Yup. Sorry guys, although I'd hate myself, I'd give you all up. Forget matzoh, it is the fish of affliction.

My angelic wife made delicious Tunisian fish cakes last night in lieu of gefilte fish. Without even being asked, in return I'm prepared to forego buying any more ammo for a month.

User Tag List