Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida and/or Southern Georgia Handgun Training

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    You might be interested in joining GALEFI.
    I served for two terms on the board of directors for GALEFI. It rarely did any training outside of metro Atlanta. They occasionally did a class in the Albany area.

Hopefully the above has changed.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I would drive 80 minutes to Frostproof and take a class with Shannon Smith. He's a former Army Ranger and current USPSA Grand Master.

http://www.shannonsmithshooting.com/

Also: paging @Les Pepperoni

Florida and/or Southern Georgia Handgun Training

My vote goes to southern exposure in Lakeland or universal shooting academy in frost proof. Southern exposure regularly hosts randy cain, tactical handgun 101 is a highly regarded class. Shannon Smith at universal is also squared away, former army ranger who is also an m or gm in uspsa.

Some good suggestions on folks with good reputations, e.g., Randy Cain. My personal experience with Lee Weems of First Person Safety has been very positive. I can recommend his classes without reservation. If you can travel just a bit further, the Rogers School is north of Atlanta(Ellijay, GA) and is one of the top schools around(can be a soul crusher, though).
    Respectfully, at your stated level, a class with Lee Weems could be a great start. It’s hard to go wrong with what folks here recommend.
    Best of luck in your journey

Thanks!

Thanks all this is great feedback! Can't wait to be able to get out in society again and schedule some of these

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyL View Post
    I was hoping those of you in FL or who have trained here could recommend some good schools/trainers to look into once this Covid-19 lock down ends.
    I'm in Sarasota - hit me up here if you ever have questions or want to shoot a match.

Joe Farewell (dunno his company name) does training in near Lakeland (competition/3-gun focused)
    Ben Aubin of Redbeard Combatives does a bunch of combatives training (Fort Meade)
    John Dufresne (Kinteic Consulting) comes to Sarasota once in a while to do a sims/utm-based shoot house course geared at the solo defender.

I am primarily focused on home defense and other situational defense training, not necessarily competitive shooting
    Can you be more specific with what you want to learn?

There is a range in Homestead that has hosted Ernest Langdon, and one in Okeechobee where Givens and others have taught.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Forgive me for boosting my own site.

Firearms Training Hub: Area 6 for the Southeast. There's currently a map error that we're working on. With a little patience you should be able to navigate around it, click on pins and see what's going on.

Randy Cain would be top of my list if I lived in SW FL.
    Last edited by David S.; 04-09-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    David S.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sorry I had too many tabs open as I was searching the forums prior to posting. I thought I was posting this in the Regional Training forum and now I don't see a way to delete it and move it over there. Sorry if I put this in the wrong place.
    I went ahead and moved your thread. Note the "announcements" sub-sections are for listing specific classes that are currently available.

If you find you've accidentally posted something or somewhere you didn't mean to, just hit the "report post" button and we can help sort it out for you.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List