Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pathological Professional Disarmament

Pathological Professional Disarmament

This is a thread where we can talk about your various employers' insistence upon disarmament.

I like my guns, and I like carrying them. I've recently started my dream job, and I'm unsurprised to find that the carry of firearms is prohibited by both policy and by law. Guns in cars in parking lots are ok, but I worry about theft.

Does anyone have any good stories to share? Here's mine:

I was undergrad and scored a summer job at a National Laboratory. In addition to our paycheck, the lab provided us with housing. As a part of that, they sent us a housing survey, where we were asked to list the items we would be bringing so that we could be efficiently matched to rommates (2 to an apartment). I listed the TV, desktop computer, various cookware, and in a fit of great naivete, "2 shotguns, 2 rifles, 2 pistols, and ammunition for same". I thought nothing else of it until I received a very panicked phone call from one of the housing administrators that pleaded and demanded that I not bring my guns, and I also received a certified letter with the same message. It was far too good of a professional opportunity to pass up or make a nuisance of myself over, so no guns for me that summer. There was an indoor shooting range nearby that offered storage for members, so when I showed up for a second summer, I drove straight to the range, dropped off the guns, and then went to the apartment.

What about ya'll? Bonus points if it's any way funny.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I had a problem in the Navy on a states side Navy base but it wasn't very funny.

You could keep your firearm in your vehicle but not in your barracks. So I did. I guess the Navy didn't have control over what you kept in your personal vehicle on base, 1970.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-07-2020 at 09:10 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I’ve never carried at work a day in my life.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I had a problem in the Navy on a states side Navy base but it wasn't very funny.

You could keep your firearm in your vehicle but not in your barracks. So I did. I guess the Navy didn't have control over what you kept in your personal vehicle on base, 1970.
    Haha. Same here. I’ll share a story that should add substance to O.P.’s thoughts:

When I was in the early ‘00’s military I did the same thing; my guns were always being “transported” in my car trunk because we couldn’t possess firearms in the barracks. I shot recreationally at base ranges every weekend. During periodic random vehicle searches the M.P.’s would toss my car and find them. I’d stay super calm and say “I’m going to the range this week.” I was breaking no laws. God I was smart.

No major problems for several years except for one day my car was burglarized on base. Thank sweet Jesus the burglars didn’t think to open the trunk!!! The only thing stolen was my beloved compact disk collection. Near miss.

Public service announcement: Now, years later, I can’t count how many police reports I’ve taken and have investigated regarding stolen firearms from vehicles. Moral of the story: I got lucky, but it’s not worth it, or responsible to leave guns in cars, barracks rooms, dorms, etc. I thought I’d add this so someone may learn from my (near) mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I’ve never carried at work a day in my life.
    Neither did I.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    If I bring a gun to work I'd best never go near the MRI machines...for that reason I usually am not armed on the job. Be real awkward explaining whose gun just flew across the room and attached itself to the machine while taking a patient there.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Hard NPE for my big ed jobs. Not much funny to report about the situation, although we did have one faculty member assaulting others, and one of my students once threatened to shoot up the school, got expelled, showed up again and caused a lockdown with people moving filing cabinets in front of doors to barricade, and hiding under desks and shit. Made the newspapers. The following week, I moved my finals to a restaurant owned by a friend, and gave the location out to my students the night before.

Good times.

Astute long-term readers may have noticed that I’m never posting any pics of "real" P-F guns: RMR’d G45s, Wilson 92s, AR/M4geries, etc. etc., but I’m often a chipper contributor in the 5-shot threads, talking about running ECQC with a centennial, or grabassing about in the edged forum. Probably just a coincidence.

My youngest son took his firearms with him when he reported to his new base for flight school. As he was to be quartered on base, he had to check them into the armory on arrival. Afterwards, he went to the chow hall to eat. As he entered the dining area, a group of students waved him over to meet him.

As my son joined them at the table, one with wide eyes said to another "Did you hear about the new guy?"
    The other said "Yeah! I heard he checked twelve guns into the armory. That's a lot!"
    "You can't believe everything you hear," my son said, digging into his chow. "It was thirteen."
    Last edited by MistWolf; 04-08-2020 at 01:01 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    I work for a British company, so naturally our official policy is no weapons in the workplace or on company owned property, but parking lots (at least here in the US) aren't considered either so we're cleared to keep personally owned weapons in our cars. I make no secret about my gun nuttery (frequently go shooting with colleagues and peers of my management chain). That said, because I work from home full time, I can be armed while working and they can't do a damn thing about it!

Also, our "workplace shooter" guidance includes fighting back (naturally after fleeing or hiding). Granted, it's with "found weapons" within a standard office environment, but at least they accept that violence sometimes requires violence in return.

Chris

I either work at the Pentagon or an annex, a military base, or a contractor facility. No way would I try to bring a gun into the Pentagon. One base I worked at had routine searches of vehicles (but not people) at the front gate, but I also worked behind another gate in a secure part of the base and they definitely had a no-gun policy. Rumor was that if you had a CCW and got caught at the front gate with a gun, they'd just turn you around, but if I got caught in the secure area I'd be in deep trouble. When I worked there, there were several times that I thought about bringing my gun gear to work, because my shooting range was very conveniently located on my drive home, but I decided the risk was not worth it. I often visit other military facilities in the area, and assume that the policy was the same, and as a visiting civilian I'm not going to risk it. The contractor facility I worked out did have a no-guns policy, and I would've been terminated on the spot if I had gotten caught. I assum that all the other contractor facilities I visit have a similar policy, probably as part of their facility security policy.

User Tag List