Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally Broke 1 Second Draw!

I've taken Scott's class twice now.

Given the current shutdown, this might be a good time to do a online training session with him.

Being hearing impaired, you'll likely miss some of the side stuff that's directed at others but still take a lot out of the general class. His presentation is good and he's a loud talker. Lot's of demos.
    David S.

From my observation, it looks like you are not reacting at the beginning of the beep. You could probably shave .1-.2 off the total time if you can focus on reacting as soon as the beep starts. Conversely, it looks like you do not quite have a solid sight picture and grip at the moment you press the trigger. Both of these could be the sound in the video not sync'd up well, but i'm pretty sure I can see it in your trigger finger movement as well as hearing the click of the shot breaking early. You can also shave some time by relaxing your shoulders at full draw and focus on bringing the sights/RDS to your eyes instead of lowering your head to the sights. You're losing efficiency and economy of motion by tensing up your shoulders, neck, tucking your head, etc.

Push the limits in dry fire as much as you can, but be cautious about cheating yourself in dry fire because you can get away with it there.

Went to the range today to test livefire.

Did not bring the timer, just went as quick as I could. I was not hitting the target (target was a AP-1C at 7 yards). I think I hit the cardboard backer twice out of 10 attempts So I have the speed down, just need to work on the marksmanship.

I've also been trying to improve my reholster but I have noticed I will gradually slip back into old habits. I'm sure if I'm doing it dry fire, I am probably also doing it live fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    From my observation, it looks like you are not reacting at the beginning of the beep. You could probably shave .1-.2 off the total time if you can focus on reacting as soon as the beep starts. Conversely, it looks like you do not quite have a solid sight picture and grip at the moment you press the trigger. Both of these could be the sound in the video not sync'd up well, but i'm pretty sure I can see it in your trigger finger movement as well as hearing the click of the shot breaking early. You can also shave some time by relaxing your shoulders at full draw and focus on bringing the sights/RDS to your eyes instead of lowering your head to the sights. You're losing efficiency and economy of motion by tensing up your shoulders, neck, tucking your head, etc.

Push the limits in dry fire as much as you can, but be cautious about cheating yourself in dry fire because you can get away with it there.
    After testing live fire I have to agree about the trigger/grip.

I noticed the tucking of the head too, but I wasn't sure if that was something to be worked on. Glad to have confirmation.

Thanks for the advice, I'll go to work trying to fix that.
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

@Jay585 try dry firing without a trigger press. Draw to a sight picture at 7 yds. You should’ve able to mentally confirm the sights have stopped on the A zone of a target before the second beep of the timer. You can typically set the timer about .1 faster than your standard draw with a trigger press, but I would recommend starting with excessive par time (like 1.5 seconds) and working down by .1 at a time. If you don’t see your dot centered in the target before the beep, you didn’t make the time.

@Gio, thanks for your tips and advice. Haven't implemented it today, but I will!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post

Got a .89 draw from concealment

"Yeah! Finally broke that 1 second draw!
    Nice job, dude, Way faster than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    @cor_man257 - Just watched both vids and I gotcha now.

I'll admit my re-holster was faulty, however when I know I've got live rounds (or rather, I should say - when I haven't confirmed the gun is safe) I'm much more careful. I do not step back, and I might lean back but my technique has been to get the muzzle in the holster, then lever the backstrap of the frame into my gut before completing the re-holster. This pulls the holster off my body and cants the muzzle 10 degrees away from my body. Not sure if this is acceptable technique and I'll throw up a video if need be.

As far as my original questions:

I edited down my video and slowed it down quite a bit.

https://imgur.com/a/c2uyssS
    (tried to embed it, but don't know how)

Looking at the video in slow mo, it seems like maybe my grab could be better. I press down hard on the pistol, actually pushing it into my holster before starting the draw. I'm thinking if I can work on just laying my hand on the grip and snatching it out, that would help.

I'm not sure about my support hand position. Scott (AsianJedi) likes to pinch-grab the shirt at the belly button and pull up to the sternum. Because of how my shirts blouse I prefer grabbing the hem, but I pull pretty high - up to mid-chest level. Not sure if this needs to be corrected.

The extension looks decent to me, but there's some muzzle wiggle. I'm assuming it's the release of the trigger, and thus the lack of pressure on the pistol that may have caused movement.

Here are two more videos from the same session, this time from the left side. Times: 0.90 & .98 respectively. The 2nd video in the post, you can see my trying to verify my sights - I must have lost the dot. My apologies for the poor gun handling, I get sloppy when I know the gun is unloaded. Another consistency issue I need to work on.

https://imgur.com/a/eDCnvA2

I'm tempted to take the Scott's class Red Dot Pistol: Fundamentals and Performance in Blackfoot, ID but in addition to never going to a course, I have a hearing disability that I worry may hold the class back. Has anyone had a deaf student in a class before? How did that go?
    The stabbing of the gun down returns the kinetic energy back to the rest or your draw. Just laying it on the gun then pulling it out will make your motion 2 things, thus slower.

Good work by the way.

Also, that target is too small. Use an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. with the post-it note you are working on speed and accuracy at the same time. This is not optimal. Do you bench press and sprint at the same time? Separate the activities then your body will put them together subconsciously when you are put to a test.
    FAST Coin Owner #15
    Paper M in Carry Optics #A96020
    Point 1 Tactics Elite Standards Coin #4

I was pushing some of my fastest times ever the other day (1.05 from IWB concealment @ 7 yards) but I was reallllyyyyy struggling to stay on target. It was a Charlie and Delta picnic, and I admit I sailed a couple over the cardboard. I feel like when I push for hand speed I lose focus of trying to find the front sight. I've tried "angling" the pistol so when I'm pressing out I can pick it up with my eyes to allow for a better acquisition. What else should I be doing? After this I started focusing on trying to get on target sight pictures without doing any trigger presses, and that felt like a good way to focus on getting the sights in line.

Did some more practice last night. No videos to share.

Started out AIWB, hands down. No cover garment to clear. Got down to .81 for a few reps but average seemed to be .90

Added cover garment, hands down fastest rep was .81, but most of the reps were .85-.90 (I thought the cover garment would slow me down, but either it doesn't, or I was "warmed up" from my previous draws).

Cover garment Hands up. Fastest was .90, but most my draws were right around 1.03

Most my reps I was finding the dot ON the target. A few of my reps the dot wasn't there, but if I moved my head around I'd find the dot on the upper right quadrant of the target. Now using an 8.5x11" sheet of paper as per Scott's recommendation.

I was wondering what the fastest AIWB draw with a good hit (let's say 8" gong at 10 yards) has been? Like what's the limit on draw speed?

EDIT:

Reading this post made me remember: from the hands up (head level, non dominant hand ahead of dominant hand) I was grabbing my shirt at the belly button instead of the hem of my shirt as I typically do. I was wearing a Velocity Systems Rugby shirt which I actually like a lot. Sometimes I pull too much and the shirt will meet the stretch limit and pop out of my hand, fouling the draw. Not so with the rugby shirt.
    Last edited by Jay585; 06-28-2020 at 02:04 PM.

User Tag List