Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Left Shooting Glock

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieB View Post
    To zero the gun I had to move the rear sight way right in the notch. Now it shoots fine.
    Interesting. On most of the 6 GLOCKs I currently own I've had to drift the rear almost the right edge to zero. I thought it was me. All other handguns I own (from other makers) are pretty much dead center of the dovetail on the rear sight.

Might be worth a read. My inconsistent issues are 100% consistent in that I can print a 1" group at 10-15 yards, just a few inches to the left when I am screwing things up. Unfortunately there are several possible solutions, some of them contradictory.

I have installed 5 sets of Glock sights in recent weeks for various people and none of them have had issues with the rear sight perfectly centered nor have I seen one that required that much of a shift.

One way to see what the problem is to shoot the gun right hand supported, left hand supported, RHO, and then LHO. If they are not the same center the sights and attempt to solve each problem individually (though the solution might be semi-universal). Another trick is to shoot one single shot, at 5 yards. This should be easy. Use the bullet hole as a point of aim for shot #2. Use hole #2 for POA for shot #3. If there is horizontal stringing something is up. Repeat the RHS, LHS, RHO, LHO and you should note some sort of a pattern.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Another trick is to shoot one single shot, at 5 yards. This should be easy. Use the bullet hole as a point of aim for shot #2. Use hole #2 for POA for shot #3. If there is horizontal stringing something is up. Repeat the RHS, LHS, RHO, LHO and you should note some sort of a pattern.
    That's good advice right there.
    Last edited by JV_; 05-18-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Please don't take this as being arrogant but I have pretty much taken the "it's me" factor out of the equation. I own several Glocks and only have this probably with one of them. I have experienced this with a few others that I have owned. I'm sure it's the gun. My question is what is the mechanical issue that is causing the inconsistency? I have read that it might be the take down lever or the locking block. I plan on swapping parts a bit to see what happens. Is there any way to remedy the issue? The gun I am having the problem with is relatively new (less than 4000 rounds). I have a new G17 on order but it seems that there is no guarantee that I won't have the same issue with the new gun. I have also noticed that wear on the left side if the locking block is much more noticeable than the right side. I guess that would mean that the left side is slightly higher and making more surface contact. Could this be the issue? If so, would lapping that side until wear is even cause more equal lock up? At this point I am pretty much guessing..

It's astonishing the amount of info you can get when you have a good looking personable 22 year old daughter folks like to talk to. In the last week she has had conversations with a GM/DM and a well respected local instructor/FFL who holds several shooting records about what gun she should buy for her first handgun. Both had these observations about the Glock.

GM/DM the shape of the bottom rear of the Glock grip causes him to naturally point the weapon high. He needs to break his wrist lock to bring gun on target. This also causes others to shoot high left, not everyone just some. This went into the old data bank.

Last night talking to the other instructor/FFL, "Glocks a good gun, but I don't recommend it for most people. The shape (hump) of the bottom rear of the grip interacts with the meat of the lower part of the palm causing the gun to shoot left or high left. When you tighten the lower two fingers of your right hand the meaty muscle in the lower part of the hand pushes on the bottom hump of the grip and causes the gun muzzle to move left and for some up." He then got a glock out and having her manipulate the gun replicate the problem. HMMMMMMM another data point.

I mentioned in another thread Glocks shooting left seems to be a common problem, one I didn't have an answer for since I rarely have had the oppurtunity to instruct people with Glocks. I mused that was there someting different about the Glock design that caused this problem. The 2 cases I have recently come accross I was able to correct the problem with trigger finger placement. In both cases the shooters shot XDs, Gen 3 S&W's and 1911's with no issues, only when they switched to Glocks did the problem arrise.

Did my rearranging the trigger finger placement change how the bottom of their hand interacted with the bottom of the Glock grip? A few people in such discussions commented on how changing the trigger finger placement temporarly corrected the issue. After they got comfortable with the new trigger finger placement did they then start tightening the lower two fingers again?

Could this be the problem? If you compare the Glock Grip to an XD, M&P, straight back strap 1911's there is definately a differance.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Could this be the problem? If you compare the Glock Grip to an XD, M&P, straight back strap 1911's there is definately a differance.
    For some people, sure, but it's not the problem with my guns.

Well.... it turns out I have more issues with this particular Glock.. sigh...

I ran it today in an IDPA match and had three malfunctions. All failure to eject. I also noticed it is a "P" prefix serial #. I am sort of new to all the Glock extractor/ejector issues as all my old Glocks have run trouble free. So begins the re-education on what Glocks actually run. I know there are countless threads on this subject so I am going to dive in. I want a new G34 but I am a little nervous about plinking down the cash as I'm not sure what to look for on a new Glock to make sure I am going to get one that will run. A few hours on this forum and I will hopefully have a better understanding. Frustrating...

On another note... I ran Dawson Precision adjustable sights on it with the rear sight favoring the right side of the dovetail. It looks goofy but it shot great when it didn't choke.

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieB View Post
    Well.... it turns out I have more issues with this particular Glock.. sigh...

I ran it today in an IDPA match and had three malfunctions. All failure to eject. I also noticed it is a "P" prefix serial #. I am sort of new to all the Glock extractor/ejector issues as all my old Glocks have run trouble free. So begins the re-education on what Glocks actually run. I know there are countless threads on this subject so I am going to dive in. I want a new G34 but I am a little nervous about plinking down the cash as I'm not sure what to look for on a new Glock to make sure I am going to get one that will run. A few hours on this forum and I will hopefully have a better understanding. Frustrating...

On another note... I ran Dawson Precision adjustable sights on it with the rear sight favoring the right side of the dovetail. It looks goofy but it shot great when it didn't choke.
    Assuming it is a recent production gen 3 9mm, some have had the 336 ejector replaced with a 30274 ejector. This hasn't solved the issues in every case I've read about but it's something to consider.

The gun is about a two years old.

It's a Gen 3 G34 by the way.

This is all interesting. On 2 of my glocks i have no issues but on another one, I have the same issue. The sight must be shifted right off center of the slide to shoot straight. I've had 4 people shoot it, plus the owner and head of a well known instruction school and they all had the same results as me...LEFT. I asked him about it, and he said to just drift the sight the right and that he has seen much worse than what my gun did where the sight had to be drifted all the way to the right of the slide. Below, is where my sight needs to be to shoot straight.

AHH for once I actually took a good picture and have no idea how to get the picture in here, sorry. Anyway it had to be drifted far right.

User Tag List