Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP101: resucitate or not?

Not sure how to address all of the many issues your revolver faces, but old revolver shooters use this to get rid of leading: https://www.wholesalesockdeals.com/3...waAt3pEALw_wcB

Use a pair of scissors to cut out a piece about the size of a playing card, then wrap that around a nylon Glock bore brush and run it through your bore. 10-20 passes should get out most of the leading.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I had a similar issue with leading in a 640-1 and Precision Delta wadcutters. Eventually, I decided that the reason was the throats were .359, the bullets were .357. No smith can lap or ream the throats any smaller. If you're into the whole handloading custom ammo thing, the problem is solvable on the ammo side by using bullets that match the throats in diameter. Or just shoot jacketed.

I didn't find any HBWCs sized .359, so I just ordered a bunch of closeout plated Ranier DEWCs from Midway. Haven't gotten around to loading them yet, but did sell the 640. Will run the DEWCs in the Airlite J and the GP (where the .357 WCs also leaded badly) and hopefully get better results.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Not sure how to address all of the many issues your revolver faces, but old revolver shooters use this to get rid of leading: https://www.wholesalesockdeals.com/3...waAt3pEALw_wcB

Use a pair of scissors to cut out a piece about the size of a playing card, then wrap that around a nylon Glock bore brush and run it through your bore. 10-20 passes should get out most of the leading.

Okie John
    Just make sure you look on the package and make sure they’re made from copper, there’s alot of these things that are made in China, but are copper plated steel..

Site Supporter
    Deleted. Wrong thread.

The Lewis Lead Remover works extremely well.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod21587.aspx

I had one back when my department provided under size soft lead wadcutters for training and requalification. Really the best course is get the cylinder throats and forcing cone right and use the proper size cast bullets. Or fire jacketed bullets exclusively.

People are panic-buying guns at almost double the price. Sell it and pocket the cash, then buy what you want in 6 months.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    The Lewis Lead Remover works extremely well.
    It does work well, but this revolver really burns through the brass mesh. I remember reading about this tool years ago and had no use for one until the Loose Goose made me break down and buy one.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I had a similar issue with leading in a 640-1 and Precision Delta wadcutters. Eventually, I decided that the reason was the throats were .359, the bullets were .357. No smith can lap or ream the throats any smaller. If you're into the whole handloading custom ammo thing, the problem is solvable on the ammo side by using bullets that match the throats in diameter. Or just shoot jacketed.

I didn't find any HBWCs sized .359, so I just ordered a bunch of closeout plated Ranier DEWCs from Midway. Haven't gotten around to loading them yet, but did sell the 640. Will run the DEWCs in the Airlite J and the GP (where the .357 WCs also leaded badly) and hopefully get better results.
    I hate to read about the Precision Delta wadcutters. I placed an order for a thousand and hope to see them in a few weeks. I plan to load them to shoot in my j frames.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Or just shoot jacketed.
    This is likely what will happen.

I do wish Federal had not discontinued their Nyclad load, which was a pretty good compromise in this SP101. Mrs. gato naranja liked using Nyclads too, but alas, she has since given up on revolvers and turned to 9mm 1911s.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I hate to read about the Precision Delta wadcutters. I placed an order for a thousand and hope to see them in a few weeks. I plan to load them to shoot in my j frames.
    It may be an excuse to buy a K frame. Those throats were all pretty close to .357. On the other hand, PD got the covid in their work force and is basically shut down right now. They'd probably accept a cancellation.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List