Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 Creedmoor owners?

Site Supporter
    By the way, Tikkas are built with the exacting standards that you can buy prefits. I picked up a cheap Tikka T3 as a potential host for a 6mm of some sort barrel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    Quick note on the pre-fit thing. There are lots of actions out there now that allow for shouldered pre-fits that you can order. Just need an action wrench and a barrel vise.
    This is definitely the way to go. I have a Zermatt Origin and can simply order a shouldered prefit, torque it on, and go shoot half MOA or better groups. I’ve done the Remage set up, and have 3 of them, but from here on out- actions held to a standard with available prefits is the only way to go. Plus, the Origin action is cheaper than a customized plain Rem 700 action.

I've smoked a few 6mm CM barrels and am a fan. It does hurt you for having to buy replacement barrels if you shoot a lot, particularly a PRS type match gun where you'll heat the barrel up a lot. My current plan is shoot to 1kish and pull it for varmint shooting or deer killing. The accuracy doesn't necessarily go away, but the speed can drop out unexpectedly due to unpredictable erosion at that point.

There are some really good factory 6CM ammunition options out, brass is cheap via Hornady or you can get Lapua/Alpha quality. 3,000 fps is a nice number for crushing steel inside 1k, especially if you're shooting field stuff with unknown ranges. The recoil is fairly light, even out of a lightweight rifle. I'll probably always have a couple 6CM barrels even as I dabble with some 6BR and other variants.

Finally, prefits are awesome. Replacement barrels are just an online order away and a swap in the garage with a vise. I've been running an Accuracy International and Bighorn/Zermatt TL3 prefits from Proof Research for almost 2 years now and love how simple it is.

User Tag List