Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safariland ALS v GLS OWB Holster for Training/War Belt

Site Supporter

Safariland ALS v GLS OWB Holster for Training/War Belt

The title says it all. I am re-configuring my training belts and would like use one of the two designs for my Glock 34/35 and 1911. I have a separate belt set up for each.

Concealment is not an issue as these will be worn completely open. The GLS seems a bit less prone to a fumble and I have concerns about my thumb doing anything during a 1911 presentation other than de-activating the thumb safety.

Your thoughts and experiences are warmly invited.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    The title says it all. I am re-configuring my training belts and would like use one of the two designs for my Glock 34/35 and 1911. I have a separate belt set up for each.

Concealment is not an issue as these will be worn completely open. The GLS seems a bit less prone to a fumble and I have concerns about my thumb doing anything during a 1911 presentation other than de-activating the thumb safety.

Your thoughts and experiences are warmly invited.
    If active retention is at all a consideration I would go with the ALS over the GLS. If retention is primarily to avoid accidental loss than the GLS should be OK. In addition to the differences in the release mechanism the purpose built ALS holsters especially the 6000 series are quite a bit sturdier than the GLS holsters, especially the Multifit versions.

If you are used to a thumb break the ALS will be a seamless transition. An option for making the ALS more consistent is the end you be mad by Oregon Trail Defense. It’s basically a bolt on extension for the ALS lever.

I really prefer the ALS for every instance, though I don’t know if I have a reason why. It just feels better for me I guess. That said, I do have the above mentioned OTD nub mod on my 1911 holster. That’s the only one I felt was needed because of the extra material around the thumb safety.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If active retention is at all a consideration I would go with the ALS over the GLS. If retention is primarily to avoid accidental loss than the GLS should be OK. In addition to the differences in the release mechanism the purpose built ALS holsters especially the 6000 series are quite a bit sturdier than the GLS holsters, especially the Multifit versions.

If you are used to a thumb break the ALS will be a seamless transition. An option for making the ALS more consistent is the end you be mad by Oregon Trail Defense. It’s basically a bolt on extension for the ALS lever.
    This. ^^^ If retention is what you’re looking for go ALS. I have a GLS for my 19 and while it works great in the woods etc... to prevent inadvertent loss of a gun while bumping about, I’m not comfy from a retention point. I can pretty much snag it off my wife’s hip without much ado.

Hammertime
    I have both, have used both seldomly, but greatly prefer the ALS.

Site Supporter
    At this time, the ALS is best all around retention system. If you take into account ease of use, security, automatic retention upon holstering, durability, and probably more reasons.

The biggest down side, in my opinion, is that the system is bulky for most CCW use. Since CCW is not what you are looking for, I say get the ALS.

I cannot comment on the ALS combined with the 1911, but I can understand your concern about hitting the thumb safety too early. Hopefully someone with experience will stop buy and discuss that.

The GLS feels odd to me. I tried one with a 17 for a couple months and couldn’t get used to it. Was prone to not activating the release.

I haven’t used an ALS with a 1911 but have with an M9. It takes a little practice to actuate the safety consistently. I think adding the nub mentioned earlier would work really well with a 1911.

What ever you decide I would be interested in what you find out works for you.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    The GLS feels odd to me. I tried one with a 17 for a couple months and couldn’t get used to it. Was prone to not activating the release.

I haven’t used an ALS with a 1911 but have with an M9. It takes a little practice to actuate the safety consistently. I think adding the nub mentioned earlier would work really well with a 1911.

What ever you decide I would be interested in what you find out works for you.
    The key to using the GLS is to not think about. The less you think about trying to release the GLS the better it works.

Note there is a specific nub mod for ALS 1911 holsters. The regular nub mod fits all other ALS models.

My ALS allows a full-firing grip for both draw and re-holster, but my GLS conditions me to open my hand during the re-holster (to avoid being pinched).

I consider opening your hand on the re-holster to be a negative 'training scar', so I don't recommend the GLS.

YMMV

I have both. Invested in them when I started doing biathlon/run n gun events.

For me the ALS is superior in every way. Much more consistent draw, even more so with the nub mod. Also WML compatible whereas GLS is not.

The GLS does allow for a narrower holster, but for competition or open carry I dont see any advantages.

Highly recommend the nub mod if you aren't worried about grabs.

User Tag List