Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G&A Editorial

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    How much time did the 13k in reloads take you to produce?
    130-140 hours I have a single stage rock chucker. It takes me just over an hour to do 100 rounds, not counting the de-priming/resizing step that I do in bulk prior. Typically I load 100 rounds mon-fri as needed in the evening.

Guys with a setup progressive press are doing 500+ in that same hour.

I will upgrade at some point, but I do find reloading to be a relaxing way to unwind.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 04-07-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    130-140 hours I have a single stage rock chucker. It takes me just over an hour to do 100 rounds, not counting the de-priming/resizing step that I do in bulk prior. Typically I load 100 rounds mon-fri as needed in the evening.

I will upgrade at some point, but I do find reloading to be a relaxing way to unwind.
    I really wish I had the skill, equipment and time to reload. I am sure I would enjoy it.

That said, there is no way that time investment pencils for me in any way, shape or form, currently. So, I bought cheap, and stacked deep the past few years with monthly scheduled ammo purchases and don't have much if any worries in the current climate unless it lasts years. I very much remember there being no .22 available after Sandy Hook for literally years though.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    To be honest I'm not all that worried about loading for 9mm. I have a couple year's worth of ammo at my normal consumption rate. The ranges are closed, meaning I'm not able to burn through any of it now. If I did use up my 9mm and couldn't replenish via purchase or loading, I would just focus on my revolvers for a while.

As for dies, I've found my Lee 38 moulds to be ok, though sometimes getting the small slugs to drop can be less than ideal. My larger caliber Lee moulds have worked great. I have a brass mould from Mountain Moulds that is lovely. Those tiny 32cal slugs drop right out. I also have an aluminum .358 mould from NOE that drops bullets with ease. It's just the small Lee moulds that are finicky.

What alloy are you using? I mainly use wheelweight lead.

Chris
    Wheel weight mutt mix - whatever comes out of the tire shop. I smelted it, dropped it in water, and it shot well out of the HK45c (mid-spectrum loading of Win231 or CFE pistol), so I haven't felt the motivation to explore composition or hardness. I may explore that (just to find out what I've been shooting) over the summer.

I'll have to check out the Mountain Moulds. I'm not desperate, but it would be nice to only need powder and primer.

And that's why my next major purchase is going to be a 550c. I don't mind spending some time getting things right, but when it's been half the afternoon, I'd prefer that volume to be a couple thousand vs a couple hundred, and have some time left for the kids.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Wheel weight mutt mix - whatever comes out of the tire shop. I smelted it, dropped it in water, and it shot well out of the HK45c (mid-spectrum loading of Win231 or CFE pistol), so I haven't felt the motivation to explore composition or hardness. I may explore that (just to find out what I've been shooting) over the summer.

I'll have to check out the Mountain Moulds. I'm not desperate, but it would be nice to only need powder and primer.
    I mostly use WW too, but have some custom-mixed alloy that'll use one day.

I was wrong about the mould, it's from MP Moulds, not Mountain.
    https://www.mp-molds.com/

Chris

Thank you to everyone who brought this thread back from the brink...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

How much time did the 13k in reloads take you to produce?
    Assuming a slow rate on the 550: 32 hours. Using his price difference between Blazer and reload cost without buying brass, I got paid $40/hour to reload.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    i have been getting lawman 115 at 165/1000 delivered. I saved some for a rainy day. Granted my shooting volume is down due to stay at home and no matches / classes. I’ll consider reloading 9 if I must, but like bartleby the scrivener, I would prefer not to.

a friend is trying to get me to consider reloading for “good” 556 ammo and I might, since I won’t be shooting 20,000 rounds a year of it, and since he has low volume equipment to lend.

In 2019 I shot 13k of 9MM
    My reloads: $1560
    Assumed cost with purchased brass: $2340
    Assumed cost: Tula(without shipping): $2340
    Assumed Cost: Blazer (without shipping) $2860

I think for most people, your time will be the deciding factor
    For me I can make reliable ammo that has less headaches than tula or WWB and meets power factor. I also enjoy reloading AND I have the extra time to do it.

Below is approximate breakdown what I pay either locally or ordered(pre-covid):

RMR, BB, and SNS all run about 75$-85$ per 1000
    Tite group and sport pistol ~ 20$-per lb (I use the full cost in the estimate)
    primers ~ $30-$40 per 1000
    Brass 1000~ $35 (can be free if you trade your time for picking and cleaning)

At the highest per 1000 round cost: $180
    with free brass $145
    With various discount codes and bulk order to save on shipping/hazmat, I spend $120 per 1000

Case of factory ammo from luckygunner (prices from 12 months ago)
    Tula 115 $180 +$20 shipping
    Blazer 124 $220 +20 shipping
    Maybe you can find cheaper, but will it function?

First year cost
    A dillion 550 with accessories $665
    https://brianenos.com/dillon-2/#550

unneeded post.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 04-07-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Tell you what Hopeton. I was trying to pass on some information and threw in a comment that you continue to take great umbrage with. The floor is yours sonny. Say what ever the (expletive deleted) you want. I'm done.

Dave
    Dude thats about a 9 on the tension scale.

Good things about reloading:
    *You can load rounds that are specifically tailored to your pop gun(s). You want your rounds to be as accurate and perfect as Atlanta Arms super high end $.90 a round 9mm competition crap? You are in total control and can do that!

*Even with 9mm you can load cheaper than stock, if you load enough, and again you are in control of your reliability destiny. You can buy good but inexpensive bullets from a variety of makers, re-use brass, and you are good to go.

*You still have to buy the components, but there's nothing stopping you from storing a metric assload of components.

*Sorry for cussing, its my birthday and my party consists of the wife, daughter, and fat wiener dog.

I really wish I had the skill, equipment and time to reload. I am sure I would enjoy it.

That said, there is no way that time investment pencils for me in any way, shape or form, currently. So, I bought cheap, and stacked deep the past few years with monthly scheduled ammo purchases and don't have much if any worries in the current climate unless it lasts years. I very much remember there being no .22 available after Sandy Hook for literally years though.
    Powder and primers weren't available for about 2 years either. I just bought a case of 22LR last fall. I think that was 5000 rds. I may never shoot all of it but at least I won't be searching the internet for ammo again. No point in even looking in the stores.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List