Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: G&A Editorial

In 2019 I shot 13k of 9MM
    My reloads: $1560
    Assumed cost with purchased brass: $2340
    Assumed cost: Tula(without shipping): $2340
    Assumed Cost: Blazer (without shipping) $2860

I think for most people, your time will be the deciding factor
    For me I can make reliable ammo that has less headaches than tula or WWB and meets power factor. I also enjoy reloading AND I have the extra time to do it.

Below is approximate breakdown what I pay either locally or ordered(pre-covid):

RMR, BB, and SNS all run about 75$-85$ per 1000
    Tite group and sport pistol ~ 20$-per lb (I use the full cost in the estimate)
    primers ~ $30-$40 per 1000
    Brass 1000~ $35 (can be free if you trade your time for picking and cleaning)

At the highest per 1000 round cost: $180
    with free brass $145
    With various discount codes and bulk order to save on shipping/hazmat, I spend $120 per 1000

Case of factory ammo from luckygunner (prices from 12 months ago)
    Tula 115 $180 +$20 shipping
    Blazer 124 $220 +20 shipping
    Maybe you can find cheaper, but will it function?

First year cost
    A dillion 550 with accessories $665
    https://brianenos.com/dillon-2/#550
    Last edited by Artemas2; 04-07-2020 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    In addition, bullet casting is a Godsend at times like this.
    Somebody with a screen name of 358156hp should probably know a little about casting. I have a single cavity non hp gas check mold someplace around here. Skeeter taught me well.

Good article. My thoughts on reloading.... In addition to the numerous benefits of reloading, I view it as a form of insurance. We all find it prudent to have a fire extinguisher, a spare tire, and some extra cash tucked away. We generally don't get too excited about any of those things until we need them. For me, and many others here, we have seen things like this before. Granted, nothing quite like this, but you get the idea.

When 9mm was $8.50 a box to my door, it was not worth it to reload. Both from a financial, and time input standpoint. Reloading takes time, time that can be spent producing an income, at a greater rate than the savings provided by the same input directed at reloading. Now some will rightfully argue that reloading is done in your free time and should not have your salary / hourly rate applied. With this one, it gets a definite "it depends"

A common criticism of reloading is that you can just go buy factory ammo, with what you spent on a setup. Can you? Go do that right now, and report back.

What if the preferred caliber of use changes? Yes, I really should have bought a skid of 9mm 4 months ago, but I didn't. Perhaps I grow tired of shooting 9mm, what good is it then? With components on hand, I am free to load anything within my capabilities. Following the manuals, I can produce a wide variety of calibers, each tailored to a specific task, and my needs. Hard to do that customization with a skid of 9mm.

Casting was also mentioned, and something I have not had to do for many years. My father, to this day has buckets of .38 special, and .45 that were cast before I was born. I have molds for .40, 9mm, .380. It would be a very, very long time before those are ever used up or warn out.

If ammo is still unavailable, and components continue to rise in price, casting becomes a real option, as the cost for the bullet can be applied to powder and primers. The bullet is by far the largest factor in the cost of a cartridge. As for cases, they can be reused many times. In my opinion, with reasonable pressure loads, loss becomes more of a factor than life span.

Besides, owning the means of production is just a nice warm fussy feeling, and that right now is priceless.
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Somebody with a screen name of 358156hp should probably know a little about casting. I have a single cavity non hp gas check mold someplace around here. Skeeter taught me well.
    We could do a whole thread about our favorite moulds.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    Good article. My thoughts on reloading.... In addition to the numerous benefits of reloading, I view it as a form of insurance. We all find it prudent to have a fire extinguisher, a spare tire, and some extra cash tucked away. We generally don't get too excited about any of those things until we need them. For me, and many others here, we have seen things like this before. Granted, nothing quite like this, but you get the idea.

When 9mm was $8.50 a box to my door, it was not worth it to reload. Both from a financial, and time input standpoint. Reloading takes time, time that can be spent producing an income, at a greater rate than the savings provided by the same input directed at reloading. Now some will rightfully argue that reloading is done in your free time and should not have your salary / hourly rate applied. With this one, it gets a definite "it depends"

A common criticism of reloading is that you can just go buy factory ammo, with what you spent on a setup. Can you? Go do that right now, and report back.

What if the preferred caliber of use changes? Yes, I really should have bought a skid of 9mm 4 months ago, but I didn't. Perhaps I grow tired of shooting 9mm, what good is it then? With components on hand, I am free to load anything within my capabilities. Following the manuals, I can produce a wide variety of calibers, each tailored to a specific task, and my needs. Hard to do that customization with a skid of 9mm.

Casting was also mentioned, and something I have not had to do for many years. My father, to this day has buckets of .38 special, and .45 that were cast before I was born. I have molds for .40, 9mm, .380. It would be a very, very long time before those are ever used up or warn out.

If ammo is still unavailable, and components continue to rise in price, casting becomes a real option, as the cost for the bullet can be applied to powder and primers. The bullet is by far the largest factor in the cost of a cartridge. As for cases, they can be reused many times. In my opinion, with reasonable pressure loads, loss becomes more of a factor than life span.

Besides, owning the means of production is just a nice warm fussy feeling, and that right now is priceless.
    I haven’t loaded 9mm in years. My time was limited, and ammo was cheap enough that the cost delta didn’t make sense. Now that my time is more open, and 9mm has doubled in price, I’ll be dusting off my 9mm dies.

I’ve never been a fan of buying hunting rifle ammunition. That hasn’t changed! But I rarely use as much as a hundred rounds in a year, and it is so much cheaper to load myself, and have what is arguably better ammo for my rifle, it just makes sense (cents?) to load it myself.

I reload for everything I shoot, about 6 different cartridges. The last cartridge I geared up for was 9mm because a friend gave me some dies. I didn't even own a 9mm at the time and really had no plans to buy one. Then someone started giving me all of their once fired brass, which was literally thousands of cases. So now I have a mountain of brass, dies, pistol powder and small pistol primers. The only thing missing was bullets and a pistol. So I found a good deal on a Sig and ordered some bullets. The only advantage I can see now is having the ability to load for about the same cost that you could buy the ammo for a few months ago. It might come in handy if ammo sales are made illegal in response to some kind of gov't order I suppose but that's about the only advantage I can see.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I'm an avid reloader (32swl, 32-20, 38special, 44mag, 45Colt, 45ACP, 45AR, 6.5x55, 308win, 35Whelen). I cast as well (32cal, 38cal, 44cal, 35 rifle).

I do not reload 9mm. I could, I would only need to buy dies (I have a bullet mould for 38 that would work well in 9mm). I find it easier to just keep a few cases of ammo on hand for that caliber.

I'll be keeping my 9mm brass while price is high or ammo is unavailable. If I get low on ammo, I'll order a set of dies and start reloading 9mm. However, I don't see that being the case for a couple years or more (especially considering I can't even get to the range to use up my stash).

Chris
    Just a quick heads up - a buddy recently got into reloading about 3-4 months ago. Started with 40 S&W with the intention of moving on to 9mm... now he's having trouble finding 9mm dies. You may want to give your plan B some lead time if you see yourself heading that direction (though in a few years, that may not be the case).

I'd be curious if anyone has a recommendation for 9mm molds. My Lee .452 drops them like a dream, but the same product for 124 grain 9mm is finicky to the point of almost not being worth it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    Just a quick heads up - a buddy recently got into reloading about 3-4 months ago. Started with 40 S&W with the intention of moving on to 9mm... now he's having trouble finding 9mm dies. You may want to give your plan B some lead time if you see yourself heading that direction (though in a few years, that may not be the case).

I'd be curious if anyone has a recommendation for 9mm molds. My Lee .452 drops them like a dream, but the same product for 124 grain 9mm is finicky to the point of almost not being worth it.
    To be honest I'm not all that worried about loading for 9mm. I have a couple year's worth of ammo at my normal consumption rate. The ranges are closed, meaning I'm not able to burn through any of it now. If I did use up my 9mm and couldn't replenish via purchase or loading, I would just focus on my revolvers for a while.

As for dies, I've found my Lee 38 moulds to be ok, though sometimes getting the small slugs to drop can be less than ideal. My larger caliber Lee moulds have worked great. I have a brass mould from Mountain Moulds that is lovely. Those tiny 32cal slugs drop right out. I also have an aluminum .358 mould from NOE that drops bullets with ease. It's just the small Lee moulds that are finicky.

What alloy are you using? I mainly use wheelweight lead.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    To be honest I'm not all that worried about loading for 9mm. I have a couple year's worth of ammo at my normal consumption rate.
    That's a great point that I think is being overlooked. Things change, priorities, schedules, life, etc., can all change our consumption. Would I like to shoot 1k a week like I did in 2012, sure would. Just don't have the schedule to do it. I've shot more .223 in the past 3 months, than the prior 2 years. .22 use has increased as my son now enjoys shooting steel at 200 yards. Instead of shooting 500rds of 9mm on a Sunday by myself, the kids and I go through 300rds of .22 with the 10/22 Charger, and the Savage MKIIFVSR. One of these days I'll get into wheel guns, and put dad's lead down range.
    Taking a break from social media.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    In 2019 I shot 13k of 9MM
    My reloads: $1560
    Assumed cost with purchased brass: $2340
    Assumed cost: Tula(without shipping): $2340
    Assumed Cost: Blazer (without shipping) $2860

I think for most people, your time will be the deciding factor
    For me I can make reliable ammo that has less headaches than tula or WWB and meets power factor. I also enjoy reloading AND I have the extra time to do it.

Below is approximate breakdown what I pay either locally or ordered(pre-covid):

RMR, BB, and SNS all run about 75$-85$ per 1000
    Tite group and sport pistol ~ 20$-per lb (I use the full cost in the estimate)
    primers ~ $30-$40 per 1000
    Brass 1000~ $35 (can be free if you trade your time for picking and cleaning)

At the highest per 1000 round cost: $180
    with free brass $145
    With various discount codes and bulk order to save on shipping/hazmat, I spend $120 per 1000

Case of factory ammo from luckygunner (prices from 12 months ago)
    Tula 115 $180 +$20 shipping
    Blazer 124 $220 +20 shipping
    Maybe you can find cheaper, but will it function?

First year cost
    A dillion 550 with accessories $665
    https://brianenos.com/dillon-2/#550
    How much time did the 13k in reloads take you to produce?

User Tag List