Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G&A Editorial

Site Supporter

G&A Editorial

A friend sent this to me and I thought I would pass it along.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...unition/374730

Can't remember how many times in the last year or so I and a few others have touted the advantages of reloading, only to be told 9mm ammo was cheep and reloading was too much bother. Well, I am grateful to have plenty of reloading components on hand and to own several progressive reloaders as well as a single station press. The only thing that will limit my shooting will be my own ability to get to the range.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...jS4Li4JGysX2aQ

Can't remember how many times in the last year or so I and a few others have touted the advantages of reloading, only to be told 9mm ammo was cheep and reloading was too much bother. Well, I am grateful to have plenty of reloading components on hand and to own several progressive reloaders as well as a single station press. The only thing that will limit my shooting will be my own ability to get to the range.

Dave
    In addition, bullet casting is a Godsend at times like this.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...jS4Li4JGysX2aQ

Can't remember how many times in the last year or so I and a few others have touted the advantages of reloading, only to be told 9mm ammo was cheep and reloading was too much bother. Well, I am grateful to have plenty of reloading components on hand
    Couldn't you have just as easily had 9mm ammo on hand though?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I shoot 45 Colt, 45 ACP, and 38-44 S&W (heavy +P 38 Special). Having thousands of rounds of all three of those would cost a fortune.

And 358156hp, you are right. If you cast you can find scrap or range lead and just keep on shooting. (smile)

Dave

I shoot 45 Colt, 45 ACP, and 38-44 S&W (heavy +P 38 Special). Having thousands of rounds of all three of those would cost a fortune.
    The only caliber you originally mentioned was 9mm, but you're probably not shooting thousands of rounds of 45 Colt in a year.

According to the article, "the cost of components and raw materials has more than doubled within the last two weeks". Which would likely mean reloading supplies are scarce and more expensive now too.

Site Supporter
    Tell you what Hopeton. I was trying to pass on some information and threw in a comment that you continue to take great umbrage with. The floor is yours sonny. Say what ever the (expletive deleted) you want. I'm done.

Dave

Site Supporter
    Can't remember how many times in the last year or so I and a few others have touted the advantages of reloading, only to be told 9mm ammo was cheep and reloading was too much bother. Well, I am grateful to have plenty of reloading components on hand [...]
    I’ve no dog in this particular fight, but your wording above is probably a bit too argumentative for you to reasonably expect that no one would defend the position you clearly started the thread to attack.

The cost of 9mm ball ammo, in normal times, has been low enough that I’ve just bought it and saved the time and space. Perhaps that will change.

Shooting specialty revolver loads frequently would definitely be a motivator to reload.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    The cost of 9mm ball ammo, in normal times, has been low enough that I’ve just bought it and saved the time and space. Perhaps that will change.

Shooting specialty revolver loads frequently would definitely be a motivator to reload.
    I'm an avid reloader (32swl, 32-20, 38special, 44mag, 45Colt, 45ACP, 45AR, 6.5x55, 308win, 35Whelen). I cast as well (32cal, 38cal, 44cal, 35 rifle).

I do not reload 9mm. I could, I would only need to buy dies (I have a bullet mould for 38 that would work well in 9mm). I find it easier to just keep a few cases of ammo on hand for that caliber.

I'll be keeping my 9mm brass while price is high or ammo is unavailable. If I get low on ammo, I'll order a set of dies and start reloading 9mm. However, I don't see that being the case for a couple years or more (especially considering I can't even get to the range to use up my stash).

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Ah, but we reloaders can use our lockdown time to load ammo, while you will just sit and stare at yours. If only ammo still came in wooden crates, you could occupy your time using them to build furniture.

Yesterday, I found a ammo can full of .38WC reloads I didn't know I had. #XmasComesEarly Now if the range were open and I could leave the house, that would actually be meaningful.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Ah, but we reloaders can use our lockdown time to load ammo, while you will just sit and stare at yours.
    Know what's really satisfying? Finishing up a marathon reloading session (or sessions) and going from an empty ammo can to one full of 38special or 45AR cartridges. That is a very satisfying view and the heft necessary to move it from the reloading bench to the ammo storage area feels like honest work.

Chris

User Tag List