Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: G&A Editorial

Slight necro post, just wanted to add this here for future reference.

"Humble marksmen" (USPSA Production Master) posted a fairly decent breakdown of reloading costs, time, and some start up considerations.
    Pretty much video form of what has been discussed here.

If you LIKE working on things yourself, you’d probably LIKE reloading.

I find it enjoyable. I listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks and get into the focused attention on something that isn’t work related. Beats the crap out of watching Netflix.

To me, factory ammo exists only as a source of brass.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you LIKE working on things yourself, you’d probably LIKE reloading.

I find it enjoyable. I listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks and get into the focused attention on something that isn’t work related.
    Exactly, me too. I get great satisfaction from looking at the big shiny pile at the end!

ETA: Just noticed this pic on the phone!
    Name:  Pile.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  71.9 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-25-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Reloading makes sense if:
    1. Nobody makes what you want
    2. You have more time than money
    3. You enjoy it

There is no amount of financial ciphering that is going to make it cost effective if you factor in your time.

What I’ve never understood about reloaders is the fragile egos wherein they seem to feel a need to convince everyone else that it makes financial sense, or that it’s the thing to do, or that everyone else should be doing it too. If I were a reloaded I’d be telling everyone else how stupid it is so that it would be easier for me to find components. Like the OP posting some snarky shit, getting questioned, and then rage quitting the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Reloading makes sense if:
    1. Nobody makes what you want
    2. You have more time than money
    3. You enjoy it

There is no amount of financial ciphering that is going to make it cost effective if you factor in your time.

What I’ve never understood about reloaders is the fragile egos wherein they seem to feel a need to convince everyone else that it makes financial sense, or that it’s the thing to do, or that everyone else should be doing it too. If I were a reloaded I’d be telling everyone else how stupid it is so that it would be easier for me to find components. Like the OP posting some snarky shit, getting questioned, and then rage quitting the thread.
    People (like me...) probably get defensive when people that choose not to do it want to assert that they are right because of ROI. I spent a lotta money on my equipment, but you have a nicely equipped woodshop, just exactly how much furniture does your household need? I could be downstairs forming those 300BO cases right now instead of posting on P-F, so the value of this specific time is lower.

Reloading is a hobby just like building your own furniture or rat rod. Why do people not get that? Trying to justify reloading based on saving money isn't going to work for most people yet reloaders still try to push that concept as the primary reason for reloading.

That would be the last reason I would tell someone who was thinking about reloading. Primarily it's something I do because I enjoy it. Second to that would be the fact that I can build ammo as I use it and I don't have to stockpile thousands of rounds on gorilla racks. Sort of my own just-in-time supply chain. The last reason is I can save a few bucks.

Hoarders are going to interrupt the ammo supply and drive prices up from time to time. Buying cases of ammo and tying up your cash to avoid the high prices and shortages is a poor way to invest thousands of dollars. Ammo never increases in value unless you want to spend the time to sell it in a panic. Then you no longer have it so what's the point?
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The main reason is to obtain something you want or need that you just can't buy. For whatever the set of circumstances makes that true.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Reloading is a hobby just like building your own furniture or rat rod. Why do people not get that? Trying to justify reloading based on saving money isn't going to work for most people yet reloaders still try to push that concept as the primary reason for reloading.
    A friend of mine is fond of saying that he doesn't reload to shoot, he shoots to reload.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I reload because I like to shoot and I can do a lot more shooting on the same dollar. However, I don't like to reload, I find it a pain in the ass. It is a cost savings, no matter what round you're reloading. I don't care how cheap 9mm has been, my costs have always been reduced at least by half so it is worthwhile. There are other rounds I simply couldn't afford to shoot much of if I didn't reload them. Since 'rona came to town I haven't had any trouble getting components, either from my local suppliers or on-line bullets manufacturers. If I was dependent on factory produced ammo I'd be in trouble. Last week I ordered a 50 round box of .45acp Federal HSTs from the only place I could find them. After tax and shipping, I paid $60 for one box of ammo, it made me cringe.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I reload because I like to shoot and I can do a lot more shooting on the same dollar. However, I don't like to reload, I find it a pain in the ass. It is a cost savings, no matter what round you're reloading. I don't care how cheap 9mm has been, my costs have always been reduced at least by half so it is worthwhile. There are other rounds I simply couldn't afford to shoot much of if I didn't reload them. Since 'rona came to town I haven't had any trouble getting components, either from my local suppliers or on-line bullets manufacturers. If I was dependent on factory produced ammo I'd be in trouble. Last week I ordered a 50 round box of .45acp Federal HSTs from the only place I could find them. After tax and shipping, I paid $60 for one box of ammo, it made me cringe.
    Are you finding primers? Goofing around on the intranet s I was able to find brass and bullets, but primers seem dear.

User Tag List