Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Good General Purpose Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I have not. I know little about the V3. I'm still just burned on a 18" 870 barrel withe rifle sights I bought new. The front sight was very obviously canted. It went immediately back in the box and back to Brownells, whose return policy I have come to love deeply. I figure if they can't even get that right, I wouldn't trust them to build the rest of a gun, either.
    There's a lot to be said for having a hands on look before you buy...at least Brownell's took care of you.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    There's a lot to be said for having a hands on look before you buy...at least Brownell's took care of you.
    Well, this was just a replacement barrel - not something I can commonly find in most gunstores usually, as far as I know. I figured I could order it like I'd order any other gun part online and it would show up in the mail and work as advertised but nope.....

It is too bad as both of my 870s are very nicely built.

Well, this was just a replacement barrel - not something I can commonly find in most gunstores usually, as far as I know. I figured I could order it like I'd order any other gun part online and it would show up in the mail and work as advertised but nope.....

It is too bad as both of my 870s are very nicely built.
    So did you ever get the barrel you wanted?

I wonder is Brownell's would check the barrel before sending the second one?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    So did you ever get the barrel you wanted?

I wonder is Brownell's would check the barrel before sending the second one?
    Nope, I just returned it and kept the refund. Couldn't really find another barrel that fit my purposes, so I just kept the bead sighted factory barrel. It was pretty disappointing to be honest.

Nope, I just returned it and kept the refund. Couldn't really find another barrel that fit my purposes, so I just kept the bead sighted factory barrel. It was pretty disappointing to be honest.
    After this pandemic is over, you might check out Midwest Gun Works, they have sold me several barrels, seem to have a pretty wide selection. I tend to like 21" Turkey barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    After this pandemic is over, you might check out Midwest Gun Works, they have sold me several barrels, seem to have a pretty wide selection. I tend to like 21" Turkey barrels.
    That's good to know! I'm actually probably going to divest myself of most of my pump guns - just not very good with them and would prefer a semi-auto. But I will keep that in mind!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I no longer own any shotguns that are not Italian semiautos. If I find myself wanting to do shotgun things where I feel my ability to do them well is limited by the characteristics of the ones I have more than by my own suckage, I will probably look for a deal on another Italian semiauto, slightly used. Or maybe the Renegauge, if it proves to be as good as Mr. Kelley is saying.

Thank you! I do not take that "endorsement" lightly!

On OP topic. Stoeger M3000 for the win. Fits into the durable and inexpensive perfectly.
    Pick a barrel length and enjoy.

For the record, the Super X-1 shares noting with the succeeding generations. SX-2, 3, 4.
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    Thank you! I do not take that "endorsement" lightly!

On OP topic. Stoeger M3000 for the win. Fits into the durable and inexpensive perfectly.
    Pick a barrel length and enjoy.

For the record, the Super X-1 shares noting with the succeeding generations. SX-2, 3, 4.
    Hey, thanks. I've whittled it down to the Stoeger and TriStar Viper G2.

BTW, have you done any shotgun reviews on your YT channel?

After much reading and watching reviews, I went with the TriStar Viper G2, 12GA, 26" bbl in black synthetic.

If anyone's interested, here are my reasons:

- Price
    - 5 yr mechanical warranty
    - Company is in Kansas City, they also do any repairs. Customer service is reportedly very good.
    - This model is gaining a good reputation for reliability
    - Simple gas operated design (yeah I wussed out there, for softer recoil)
    - If you need basic parts, they said they will send them to me.

I actually called them and the guy was quite happy to talk about their products as well as answer all my questions.

User Tag List