Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose Shotgun

We've had very good luck with the Beretta A300 Outlander,American made.We're just trying the Stoeger semis this year.Benelli,who imports the Stoeger has always been great with their customer service when needed.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'd definitely go with an entry level beretta in this case (the A300 seems good). My experience with new manufacture remington products is extremely disappointing. I won't be giving that company my money again.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I no longer own any shotguns that are not Italian semiautos. If I find myself wanting to do shotgun things where I feel my ability to do them well is limited by the characteristics of the ones I have more than by my own suckage, I will probably look for a deal on another Italian semiauto, slightly used. Or maybe the Renegauge, if it proves to be as good as Mr. Kelley is saying.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I'd definitely go with an entry level beretta in this case (the A300 seems good). My experience with new manufacture remington products is extremely disappointing. I won't be giving that company my money again.
    Well if you wait a while their quality may improve as these things typically go in cycles. I've been reading a shotgun specific forum and the Remington V3 has a lot of love there.

I wouldn't mind finding a good deal on a used Beretta 390.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    See http://cdnnsports.com

Look at Turkish semi auto ATA Neo. Never shot one. Have handled and liked. I place in same category as Stoeger semi auto shotguns. At $250 each, you can buy a second one if you like the first. CDNN guys are straight up. Ask if people complain. If you're cheap, buy an Academy Sports Mossberg Maverick Combo which comes with a short barrel and sporting length barrel. They work. You can't wear it out. For $500 you won't find a premium shotgun.
    I'm cheap...but not at a point where I would buy a Maverick pump gun.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Academy also sells TriStar in addition to a clone of the CDNN offering. You would do well by locating an older but nice Rem 1100. They work, fit most people, and have an outstanding 60 year record. Those selling used guns negotiate, and that includes Cabella's.
    If I came across a deal on a Rem 1100, I wouldn't turn it down.

Site Supporter
    4,000,000 plus Remington 1100 shotguns have been made. Most were 12 gauge. I would not require the gun selected to have a barrel with choke tubes. Instead I would search for a great deal on a nice gun. Further, though I would prefer a barrel marked skeet, improve cylinder, or modified, I would not reject a gun having a full choke. External chokes like the old school Poly Choke work but seriously degrade a shotgun's value. An 1100 so equipped should be priced $75 less. Screw in choke tubes in theory offer versatility but are usually left home. My opinion is that improved cylinder is most desirable, then modified, and last full. 1100 reliability is dependent on an O ring, easily replaced and inexpensive.

I would not buy a semi-auto shotgun that was not made by Beretta, Benelli, or maybe Browning. I have seen to many cheap autos fail in the field. I run a Benelli Super Black Eagle II for ducks, geese, and turkeys. I have also shot doves with it, although I only use it for that if it is raining (otherwise I use my 20 ga Beretta Silver Pigeon II). The SBE2 cycles everything from cheap #8 doves loads to 3.5" turkey and goose loads without a hickup. It also comes wit a nice shim kit to adjust the drop and cast to suit you, and they make three different length factory recoil pads to adjust the LOP.

Now that the SBE3 has been out for a while, I'm sure you can find a deal on an SBE2. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I keep hearing good things about the Rem V3, have you checked it out?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I keep hearing good things about the Rem V3, have you checked it out?
    I have not. I know little about the V3. I'm still just burned on a 18" 870 barrel withe rifle sights I bought new. The front sight was very obviously canted. It went immediately back in the box and back to Brownells, whose return policy I have come to love deeply. I figure if they can't even get that right, I wouldn't trust them to build the rest of a gun, either.

User Tag List