Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    Yeah, I've never been real good at the whole follow directions thing.
    Maybe it's to set the springs or something...IDK

FWIW Beretta advised pretty much the same thing for the 20ga A400 we replaced my wife’s 12ga 391 with.

I think I broke the M3K in with heavy target loads. It hasn’t bobbled with 1oz slugs, buckshot, or the bulk target loads from Winchester or Federal. It did fail to lock the bolt back with some pretty wimpy 1 oz target loads a friend tried in it. When I bought a bunch of stuff from MOA he threw in a reduced power recoil spring because he was later than he thought necessary shipping it out (I thought he was quicker than 90% of custom guys). I haven’t seen a need to install it but I don’t use reduced loads much. I have yet to shoot any 3” ammo thru it.

Site Supporter
    See http://cdnnsports.com

Look at Turkish semi auto ATA Neo. Never shot one. Have handled and liked. I place in same category as Stoeger semi auto shotguns. At $250 each, you can buy a second one if you like the first. CDNN guys are straight up. Ask if people complain. If you're cheap, buy an Academy Sports Mossberg Maverick Combo which comes with a short barrel and sporting length barrel. They work. You can't wear it out. For $500 you won't find a premium shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    See http://cdnnsports.com

Look at Turkish semi auto ATA Neo. Never shot one. Have handled and liked. I place in same category as Stoeger semi auto shotguns. At $250 each, you can buy a second one if you like the first. CDNN guys are straight up. Ask if people complain. If you're cheap, buy an Academy Sports Mossberg Maverick Combo which comes with a short barrel and sporting length barrel. They work. You can't wear it out. For $500 you won't find a premium shotgun.
    No pumps for me this time around. Since I first started this thread, I've expanded my research a bit. Once things return to "normal" I have a feeling there might be some deals out there.

So far my list has grown a bit to:

Mossberg 930
    Rem V3
    Rem 1187
    Stoeger M3000
    Beretta A390 series

Site Supporter
    Support on the Stoeger might dry up despite its association with Beretta. Remington products have had too many quality problems in recent years. Older models are good. Mossberg autos are a toss up in reliability. Famous people who shoot them are paid to do so and to sing the company song. The Beretta series mentioned is the only one allowing you to buy a shotgun with the knowledge that it will work reliably, has the promise of factory support, offers pride of ownership, and will retain its value.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think folks tend to overcomplicate this, I know I sure did when I started out!

This is not the ultimate gun, but IMO you would have a hard time finding something you could not do with this:
    https://gunprodeals.com/product/REMI...ource=wikiarms
    And Remingtons are like Legos. Chokes are like $20 and readily available, alternative stocks are like $80 and readily available.

I now have two Berettas, but before I did I had an 1100 version of the above that I shot thousands of targets with.

The A300 is probably better, and the same price, if cheap accessories are not important to you:
    https://gunprime.com/products/sale-b...331e-863900669

ETA: There also seems to be some tendency to feel equipment inferiority when starting out doing clay shooting. In my experience, nobody cares. You are going to be a beginner and people will be helpful no matter what gun you have, unless they are assholes, and those people would still be assholes if you had a Perazzi.
    ETA Again: Yeah, what he said!
    I'll echo these suggestions with a slight edge given to the 11-87 due to readily available parts, accessories and product support. I've seen brand new 11-87 Sportsmans selling for $470.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 04-11-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Support on the Stoeger might dry up despite its association with Beretta. Remington products have had too many quality problems in recent years. Older models are good. Mossberg autos are a toss up in reliability. Famous people who shoot them are paid to do so and to sing the company song. The Beretta series mentioned is the only one allowing you to buy a shotgun with the knowledge that it will work reliably, has the promise of factory support, offers pride of ownership, and will retain its value.
    Maybe a TriStar Raptor?

Site Supporter
    Allow me to avoid giving a yes or no answer to your question, and let me ramble. Eventually I will get around to shotguns. A large number of firearms importers have existed during the last 50 years during which I have owned several hundred guns. Importers come and go. After they die, product support dies with them. Sad truth is that in many cases these outfits failed to support their products when active. You and I could become importers. To cut expenses, our "support" might consist of hiring some airhead who does not answer his telephone and may or may not respond to emails. Probability is high that we would not maintain spare parts. Importers demonstrate some variation of what I described.

A very few Turkish factories make almost all of the many "made in Turkey" shotguns which are then stamped TriStar or something else. Product support varies from none to terrible to ok to excellent. I recommended that you buy a shotgun from CDNN. It is made in Turkey and its clones continue to be brought in by importers. However, the importer that brought this one in dropped this line. They would not even discuss product service. I suggested it because of cheap price.

I have no experience with TriStar shotguns. Now, if you wish to consider regular priced Turkish shotguns that have excellent customer support, then look at any Yildiz shotgun sold by Academy. Academy is the sole importer of this brand and has cut out the middle man. Further, Academy contracts with a world famous super shotgun smithing outfit in Houston to handle Yildiz customer support. In today's gun world you can't get screwed when you buy a NEW Yildiz shotgun from Academy Sports.

I know who CDNN is, I usually order pistol mags from them.

Years ago, I had a CZ712 made by Huglu. Nice walnut and never had any trouble with it, but I didn't put a lot of rounds through it either. I just want one for occasional use.

Site Supporter
    Academy also sells TriStar in addition to a clone of the CDNN offering. You would do well by locating an older but nice Rem 1100. They work, fit most people, and have an outstanding 60 year record. Those selling used guns negotiate, and that includes Cabella's.

User Tag List