Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    Good condition in central Virginia, $500 or so.
    I did a little research on Shotgun World Forum and the 390 was very highly recommended, especially for it's reliability and durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Ok, from Beretta's web site:

- "The Beretta 1301 Comp semiauto shotgun is designed to win tactical competitions right out of the box."

- "Tactical stock"

- etc.

MSRP: $1275

I have no doubt it's an excellent gun for it's stated purpose.. I'm just looking for something else: a simple, reliable semi-auto that isn't likely to have a lot of rounds put through it.
    Beretta's description of the 1301 Comp as a "tactical" shotgun is likely meant to differentiate it from Beretta's other "competition" shotguns that are designed to win clays competitions. The stock on the 1301 Comp is perfectly suitable for shooting aerial targets. It might not be the ideal trap stock, or the best sporting clays stock, but it is hardly unusable.

I wouldn't let Beretta's use of the word "tactical" take the 1301 Comp out of consideration for a "simple, reliable semi-auto that isn't likely to have a lot of rounds put through it."

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Beretta's description of the 1301 Comp as a "tactical" shotgun is likely meant to differentiate it from Beretta's other "competition" shotguns that are designed to win clays competitions. The stock on the 1301 Comp is perfectly suitable for shooting aerial targets. It might not be the ideal trap stock, or the best sporting clays stock, but it is hardly unusable.

I wouldn't let Beretta's use of the word "tactical" take the 1301 Comp out of consideration for a "simple, reliable semi-auto that isn't likely to have a lot of rounds put through it."
    It's still packed with features and a price I don't need. It's seems built to be a tactical type gamer gun, which is definitely something I don't have a use for. Their description certainly differentiates it from their hunting guns.

It's still packed with features and a price I don't need. It's seems built to be a tactical type gamer gun, which is definitely something I don't have a use for. Their description certainly differentiates it from their hunting guns.
    I just bought a 24" 1301 Comp to use as a general purpose/hunting gun. It's black but doesn't jump out as anything tactical to me other than maybe the oversized bolt handle.

My thought is it agrees with Dagga Boy's definition of an inconspicuous sporting shotgun. It's the one on the left next to a 1301T and an 870PM. It's not a $500 shotgun but thought I'd show you it isn't all tactical type gamer either (not that I really have a grasp on the definition of that).

Name:  Shotguns.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Shotguns 2.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  81.3 KB

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by vaspence View Post
    I just bought a 24" 1301 Comp to use as a general purpose/hunting gun. It's black but doesn't jump out as anything tactical to me other than maybe the oversized bolt handle.

My thought is it agrees with Dagga Boy's definition of an inconspicuous sporting shotgun. It's the one on the left next to a 1301T and an 870PM. It's not a $500 shotgun but thought I'd show you it isn't all tactical type gamer either (not that I really have a grasp on the definition of that).

Name:  Shotguns.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  Shotguns 2.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  81.3 KB
    Last "tactical" shotgun I fired was a military 20" Rem 870 and it was not a fun gun to shoot.

I wouldn't hesitate on the stoeger. I spent a LOT of time deciding what to get when I made the leap to semi for my main field shotty. I ended up with the m3500(no reason to settle for 3" chamber) even after toting a buddy's Beretta A400 into the marsh a few times, for less than half the price the stoeger is hard to beat. I've only hunted one season with it but it took well over 100 quackers out of the sky in all kinds of conditions with out a burp! It also cycles target loads nicely. I've put everything from 2 3/4" 7 shot to 3 1/2" BB shot goose loads through it. love this gun.Name:  IMG_20191008_152217290.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  45.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate on the stoeger. I spent a LOT of time deciding what to get when I made the leap to semi for my main field shotty. I ended up with the m3500(no reason to settle for 3" chamber) even after toting a buddy's Beretta A400 into the marsh a few times, for less than half the price the stoeger is hard to beat. I've only hunted one season with it but it took well over 100 quackers out of the sky in all kinds of conditions with out a burp! It also cycles target loads nicely. I've put everything from 2 3/4" 7 shot to 3 1/2" BB shot goose loads through it. love this gun.Name:  IMG_20191008_152217290.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  45.1 KB
    Thanks,

Is there anything you would like to see improved and what are it's strong points?

Thanks,

Is there anything you would like to see improved and what are it's strong points?

Strong points:
    For shooting clays or hunting without the plug it's 5+1.
    If you get the cerakote version the finish is durable and I like the look of the bronze.
    Pretty simple to field strip and clean.
    Very light weight without the stupid "recoil reducer" installed, actually just a weight increaser.
    Comes with four chokes.

Really can't think of anything I would change to be honest.

ETA: in full disclosure I did have to put 50 hunting loads through it before it would properly cycle with target loads, I tried light loads right out of the box and first time it short cycled and jammed.

Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL View Post
    Strong points:
    For shooting clays or hunting without the plug it's 5+1.
    If you get the cerakote version the finish is durable and I like the look of the bronze.
    Pretty simple to field strip and clean.
    Very light weight without the stupid "recoil reducer" installed, actually just a weight increaser.
    Comes with four chokes.

Really can't think of anything I would change to be honest.

ETA: in full disclosure I did have to put 50 hunting loads through it before it would properly cycle with target loads, I tried light loads right out of the box and first time it short cycled and jammed.
    Thanks, is it recommended by the manufacturer to break it in before using lighter loads.

BTW, I like the looks of that shotgun.

Yeah, I've never been real good at the whole follow directions thing.

User Tag List