Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    I’ve been shooting a Stoeger M3K for about two years now. Basically an M3000 with 24” barrel and a few other “competition” goodies. Apparently there were some issues with the inertia spring breaking early on but mine has shot 3 Gun, skeet, trap, sporting clays and I’d estimate round count over a thousand with zero malfunctions. Birdshot, buckshot and slugs all shoot faster than I can afford to shoot them.
    I've heard it's popular with some of the 3-gun crowd.

How would you compare speed of cycling and recoil vs a gas gun?
    Last edited by Redhat; 04-07-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    So during my quarantine boredom I've started to consider a general purpose 12 ga semi-auto shotgun. I am interested in the least costly yet reliable model that could be used for limited wing shooting and maybe some clays shooting (since the National Shooting Complex is not to far from me).

Since I can't really go to the LGS's to put hands on any right now, thought I'd ask the forum what they like. Unless I find a really good deal, I'll probably try to hunt down a good used model.

From my on-line scouting, I think I may have it down to 3 choices:

Stoeger M3000

Remington V3

Mossberg 930

Any info on these or others appreciated.
    Another consideration is on the "other end". You will likely loose more money if you sell one of the above than if you sold a well vetted gun. I'm in the market also and the V3 is the only one of those I would look at (and it is not high on my list).

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    Another consideration is on the "other end". You will likely loose more money if you sell one of the above than if you sold a well vetted gun. I'm in the market also and the V3 is the only one of those I would look at (and it is not high on my list).
    Don't leave us in suspense...what is high on your list?

I've heard it's popular with some of the 3-gun crowd.

How would you compare sped of cycling and recoil vs a gas gun?
    My other gas gun is a Super X Model 1, my wife was shooting a Beretta 391. The recoil on the Stoeger may be a bit more, I think it cycles faster. It definitely runs a lot cleaner than either gas gun.

Don't leave us in suspense...what is high on your list?
    1301 comp

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    1301 comp
    Yeah, I looked that one over last night. It's too far toward the tactical end for my use / likes.

I'm not concerned too much with resale value as what I'm looking for won't need to be sold or traded unless it's just a lemon.

My other gas gun is a Super X Model 1, my wife was shooting a Beretta 391. The recoil on the Stoeger may be a bit more, I think it cycles faster. It definitely runs a lot cleaner than either gas gun.
    I'm not familiar with the Super X, is that Beretta or Winchester?

Yeah, I looked that one over last night. It's too far toward the tactical end for my use / likes.

I'm not concerned too much with resale value as what I'm looking for won't need to be sold or traded unless it's just a lemon.
    What’s too tactical about the 1301 Comp? It’s basically a black A400 duck gun with a shorter barrel (21” or 24” instead of 28”).
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I'm not familiar with the Super X, is that Beretta or Winchester?
    A 40 year old Winchester, I believe they are up to Super X Mod 3 now. It was designed to replace the Model 12 pump in Winchester’s line up so it has a steel receiver and an odd gas system compared to the Remington 1100 that was its competition.

Edited to add,
    I see they are up to a “Mod 4” now. See what happens when you get old?
    Last edited by Rick R; 04-07-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Add info

A 40 year old Winchester, I believe they are up to Super X Mod 3 now. It was designed to replace the Model 12 pump in Winchester’s line up so it has a steel receiver and an odd gas system compared to the Remington 1100 that was its competition.
    And it's still truckin' along so it must be pretty good. You looking to retire it?

User Tag List