Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose Shotgun

Good General Purpose Shotgun

So during my quarantine boredom I've started to consider a general purpose 12 ga semi-auto shotgun. I am interested in the least costly yet reliable model that could be used for limited wing shooting and maybe some clays shooting (since the National Shooting Complex is not to far from me).

Since I can't really go to the LGS's to put hands on any right now, thought I'd ask the forum what they like. Unless I find a really good deal, I'll probably try to hunt down a good used model.

From my on-line scouting, I think I may have it down to 3 choices:

Stoeger M3000

Remington V3

Mossberg 930

Any info on these or others appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    From my on-line scouting, I think I may have it down to 3 choices:

Stoeger M3000

Remington V3

Mossberg 930

Any info on these or others appreciated.
    Of those three, I’d pick the Remington. It’s the only one I haven’t heard bad things about. Have you considered the Beretta 1301? It’s probably the best general purpose semi auto shotgun available right now. It’s well vetted and there’s a gigantic thread about them on the forum. I don’t think it costs too much more than the Remington V3 either.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Of those three, I’d pick the Remington. It’s the only one I haven’t heard bad things about. Have you considered the Beretta 1301? It’s probably the best general purpose semi auto shotgun available right now. It’s well vetted and there’s a gigantic thread about them on the forum. I don’t think it costs too much more than the Remington V3 either.
    No I haven't but I'll certainly look into it. Just expected Beretta would be above my price range. I know the Stoeger has a rep for being vetted as well and the 930 has quite a following over on another shotgun forum.

What's your budget?

I've been looking into this pretty closely, and have concluded that if you don't want to spend Beretta/Benelli money for a semi-auto, you're better of buying a pump, at least when it comes to new guns.

The outlier might be a quality used Remington 1187, plus whatever people smarter than me reccomend.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I think I can find what I want under $500. I usually look for a good used deal first.

I can do pump, as I have spent considerable time back in the day with those, but I want a semi to try out. Heck the last one of those I got to hunt with was a Browning Auto 5.

I think my earlier statement was tempered by the fact that I'm primarily wanting a defensive gun. Those will probably work "well enough" for wing shooting and such.

I'm curious about your results, so if you wouldn't mind sharing if you get something.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I think my earlier statement was tempered by the fact that I'm primarily wanting a defensive gun. Those will probably work "well enough" for wing shooting and such.

I'm curious about your results, so if you wouldn't mind sharing if you get something.
    Yeah I'm not looking for anything tactical. I'll let you know what I wind up with.

Just FYI, you can get a Mossberg kit with 28" hunting barrel and a 18.5" defensive barrel

If you happen to end up with a Mossberg (you should check out the 940 vis 930), try to ensure you get one withOUT a ported barrel. Those things just suck for whomever is in proximty to the shooter (like in a duck blind). They spit hot buffer out of the ports and seem to be ineffective at reducing recoil. No bueno. I think Mossberg finally wised up and stopped making those, but there seems to be a lot of new, old stock with ports sitting on dealer shelves.

I’ve been shooting a Stoeger M3K for about two years now. Basically an M3000 with 24” barrel and a few other “competition” goodies. Apparently there were some issues with the inertia spring breaking early on but mine has shot 3 Gun, skeet, trap, sporting clays and I’d estimate round count over a thousand with zero malfunctions. Birdshot, buckshot and slugs all shoot faster than I can afford to shoot them.

If you find an older used M3000 the inertia spring for a Benelli can be used as a substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    If you happen to end up with a Mossberg (you should check out the 940 vis 930), try to ensure you get one withOUT a ported barrel. Those things just suck for whomever is in proximty to the shooter (like in a duck blind). They spit hot buffer out of the ports and seem to be ineffective at reducing recoil. No bueno. I think Mossberg finally wised up and stopped making those, but there seems to be a lot of new, old stock with ports sitting on dealer shelves.
    I think you're right. They don't list ported bbl's as a feature on the current specs for the all-purpose field hunting model. In any event, I wouldn't buy one anyway...no ports for me.

User Tag List