Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken K Frame Hammer Nose - How to Fix?

Broken K Frame Hammer Nose - How to Fix?

The hammer nose on my S&W 66-2 broke this weekend during dry fire, really weird since I always use snap caps, the azoom ones. Here's the pics. Anyone know whether the Powers Customs hammer nose will work? From what I have read in an old thread here, theres two old versions, one has a spring in the hammer nose. I dont think mine has a spring because the hammer nose is floppy in the hammer.

Part 2 of the question is can I replace this myself? I think I read I need to drill out the old rivet and insert a new rivet. Well I have a drill and could probably drill the old one out but I dont know how to install the new rivet if its with a certain punch or tool or what. Im on a strict budget and am trying to avoid paying a gunsmith and to be honest I will probably sell this gun to clear up cash for living expenses once its fixed.

Part 3 is what about shims? I never messed with revolver insides before but I did spend an hour watching take down videos this morning and shimming looks pretty easy as in trial and error even if I lack experience and cant really break it I dont think. Not that my gun isnt tight enough I dont have the experience to know but if Im ordering parts anyway and taking the gun apart anyway maybe I try the shim too for a few bucks?

I am open to taking this hammer to a local smith if people respond that Im crazy to try do to this myself. Since I already took the gun apart I think the smith shouldnt charge too much to just change the rivet out, but I do first need to make sure I buy the correct part!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any help to offer!

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 5.36.36 PM.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  47.3 KBName:  Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 5.36.41 PM.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  58.6 KB

Ive only swapped one. The rivet didnt need to be drilled, its more a friction fit than anything. I just drifted it out with a flat punch, then re-used the same parts in the other hammer, and flared the rivet again with a pair of center punches, one clamped in the vise, and tapping the other side with the other one and a hammer. Hasnt moved in a year and a half or so.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

M-66 hammer

Sanch, I sent you a PM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive only swapped one. The rivet didnt need to be drilled, its more a friction fit than anything. I just drifted it out with a flat punch, then re-used the same parts in the other hammer, and flared the rivet again with a pair of center punches, one clamped in the vise, and tapping the other side with the other one and a hammer. Hasnt moved in a year and a half or so.
    That works as long as that gun is a play/fun gun only and not a service/defense gun. On service guns, NEVER reuse that hammer rivet. Also, NEVER reuse roll pins from service pistols/carbines. They're inexpensive and life is too precious to try that.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Yes it's easy to replace and you can do it yourself. In fact, if you're going to live with an S&W revolver this is one of the things you should learn to do yourself, much like a 1911 extractor.

You can also install shims yourself, if you need them. If the gun doesn't really need it, don't go mucking around with tolerances. If you decide to install them, there are several professional videos available on line, watch at least one and pay attention.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    That works as long as that gun is a play/fun gun only and not a service/defense gun. On service guns, NEVER reuse that hammer rivet. Also, NEVER reuse roll pins from service pistols/carbines. They're inexpensive and life is too precious to try that.
    Good information, thanks!
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What is the proper way to install a new hammer rivet? I wasnt about to find any videos on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    What is the proper way to install a new hammer rivet? I wasnt about to find any videos on youtube.
    Auto correct from my phone. I meant I wasn’t able to find any in YouTube

Sanch, your parts are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, 4/11, per post office receipt.

I swapped mine (broken) to a Power Custom Hammer Nose Kit for S&W K Frame.
    Was easy.

User Tag List