Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 pistol-training.com Endurance Test Gun ANNOUNCED!

Wilson combat mags - you say not always drop free. For me only with full mags, problem was a sharp edge around the channel for trigger bow. This is solved by the gun smith.

Arsenal Firearms AF2011-A1. C'mon guys I started laughing as I typed the name out....

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I think a lot of people would be very interested in a 9mm 1911 pistol that actually worked. If the test goes well Springfield may just sell a bunch of them.

The one 1911/2011 I've had my eye on was Nighthawk Customs high capacity 9mm's that looks like a 2011 frame and a 1911 slide for up to 19 rounds of 9mm iirc.

I'll admit I was a little clenched up about a 9x19 straw man, but Mr. Burton's confidence carries a lot of weight for me. One of these days, I'll score a big enough bonus to send a colt to heirloom.

I do personally wish it was a combat commander -- the reduced slide travel of a commander shouldn't be a big deal with 9x19 and the form factor is a little nicer for AIWB, same as a 17. But I do expect Todd to become fond of the weapon for its gentleness and precision, so long as he doesn't wind up fighting a persistent reliability issue. Ramped barrels make me nervous.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Mr. Burton's 50,000+ rounds thru a Les Baer TRS with minimal problems was one influence for me buying one

This should be interesting. My only 9mm 1911 experience was with a Colt Combat Commander, brushed nickel with original Colt magazine. Did not keep it long enough to develop any real opinions.

I do remember however some of the spirited discussions Todd and I had back in the day when he thought the traditional double action pistol was the cat's meow. I was the DAO fanatic. He has since been assimilated into DAO. I also remember the recent capacity wars we had here. Back in 2003 Todd was packing his SIG 220 and has since decided that 12+1 is his comfort level. I mention this because we might well have a paradigm change here if this goes well or a reestablishment of PT accepted principles. Either way it will be a fun ride.

I think I could easily live with a 9+1 capacity since I am already happy with a six shot revolver as a primary on occasion. Even so my Glock 9mm's, SIG 229 and Beretta 92D Centurion make me happy with their extra bean counts. The manual safety however would be my downfall. As much as I believe it is a bonus for officer safety, I have had so many years without one that I would be at a real disadvantage until I could get up to speed with one and use it exclusively.

Let the test begin!

As someone who shoots a lot of 9x19 in several different 1911s, I believe magazines are going to be an issue. In my experience, magazines that work reliably in one 9x19 1911 fail in another. Both John Harrison and David Sams have built me 9x19 1911s; the Harrison gun started life out as a Series '80 9x23 and the Sams gun was built from a Caspian frame and slide. The Harrison gun runs all day with factory Colt magazines, and the Sams gun chokes with the exact same magazines and ammo. The Sams gun runs on the Mec-Gar magazines. Both guns like the Springfield "front ramp" magazines and both guns will NOT run with the Wilson ETM magazines. Nor will the Wilson magazines feed worth a darn in my STI Trojan 5.0, an early SA 9x19 Mil-Spec, or my 9x19 Series '70 Colt. Lots of first-round nose dives into the barrel ramp. I am curious to see how the ETM magazines do with the test guns as for me they were disappointments. Two of those three (not the Trojan 5.0) guns work well with the Mec-Gar or the Springfield magazines as well as factory Colt 9x19 and .38 Super magazines. The STI magazine release is a bit too low for the Colt magazines.

In my limited experience, 9x19 1911 magazines are easier to get out of whack, and I seem to replace at least ten per year. Drops on the range tend to mess with feed lips and the round release is impacted. Lots of magazines are the order of the day. I number then with nail polish on the spine to keep up with what works with what and what no longer works.

Recoil springs are going to be another issue. I run spring weights from 10# to 14# depending upon the gun and the load. The hard chromed guns tend to run lower weight springs than the blued guns. The parkerized Mil-Spec runs the 14# spring as it has the worst feeling slide cycling. The Sams, with the tightest slide to frame fit, runs a 12# spring.

We are diminished
    I still think the DA/SA is the cat's meow. I shot JV's P226 with SRT a bit at Rogers and holy cow, I miss that. In fact, if I hadn't gone with the Springfield there's a good chance I'd be shooting a P229R SRT for the next year instead. I also might have considered a P30 V3 with Gray Guns trigger work for a reduced reset.

As for capacity, that was one of the hardest things to accept when deciding to do the 1911 test. Rationally, I feel that 11rd in the gun is probably enough. But it's not nearly as "enough" as 16-18. Given the realities of what I'm likely to face in my life, it's suboptimal but likely adequate. Higher capacity lets me hedge my bets, whereas this will be removing some of the margin of error. If I end up dead because of it, well, hey, at least it means I won the internet debate!

I'd appreciate hearing your rationale behind preferring DA/SA if you want to start another thread, Todd.
    #RESIST

I would have loved to see a 229 in the crucible. Since I have no choice now but for a 229 as a duty gun I made the decision to buy one as an off duty piece. I did put a short trigger and DAO hammer in the pistol last week and function tested it yesterday with 100 rounds of ball and another 100 rounds of Winchester Ranger carry ammo. At some point I plan to put the DAK lockwork in her since that SIG DAO is so much heavier than my Beretta DAO. The DAK seems to be a better option.

I bet I too could get used to the TDA. That trigger finger after shooting the SIG yesterday is still sore! On the other hand no decocking required.

Looking forward to the results. Maybe next year the 229 will get a shot.

User Tag List