Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 pistol-training.com Endurance Test Gun ANNOUNCED!

I'm looking forward to this... Does the testing start Monday, then?

Have you got leather/kydex already, and will you be staying appendix?

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    So, the details:

My original plan, after talking extensively with SLG and Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision, was to have the Springfield Custom Shop build me a pair of FBI-spec 1911s, but in 9mm. The Springfield Professional Model is, as SLG pointed out to me, the most heavily tested and proven modern 1911 available. Dave Williams from Springfield's Custom Shop provided me with details including a delivery date that was well into next year. But he also suggested another possibility...

Every year, Scott Warren has a limited run of custom guns built by Springfield. They begin life as 9mm TRPs but are assembled by the Custom Shop with parts selected by Scott. They are, coincidentally, the same concept as the gun I wanted: a 9mm version of the FBI SWAT gun or, more specifically, the FBI HRT 1911 which has a slightly different color scheme.

Features:
    • Select fit slide to frame
    • Carbon steel light rail frame
    • SA stainless steel ramped barrel and bushing 9mm
    • Polish feed ramp & throat barrel
    • Unique three line serrations on top of slide
    • Fitted speed trigger w/ tuned 4.5 lb. trigger pull
    • Tuned for total reliability
    • Lowered & flared ejection port
    • Extended ejector
    • Tuned & polished extractor
    • GI recoil system
    • Hand fit Warren Tactical style beavertail grip safety
    • Extended ambi thumb safety
    • Warren Tactical low mount combat sights w/dovetail Fiber Optic front sight
    • Custom fit S&A magwell checkered @ 25lpi
    • 25lpi front strap checkering
    • “Carry Bevel” complete pistol
    • Warren Tactical custom grips
    • Two tone black and OD green Armory Kote finish
    • 2 Premium magazines with slam pads
    • Unique Warren Tactical logo
    • WT prefix serial number

Attachment 772

Mine are coming with just a few small differences. First, obviously, Scott is installing night sights on my guns. Second, having spent a few weeks shooting hundreds of rounds per day through real FBI HRT pistols, I requested that the checkering on the frontstrap and mainspring housing get blunted from their normal awesome with gloves and/or if you like to bleed while you shoot level of sharpness. At some point, I also expect to put Lasergrips on the pistol which may require a modified right hand "ambi" safety lever.

This is obviously a tremendous departure for me compared to past tests. But of all the guns I see in classes, the 1911 is by far the type I have the least personal experience with. I've never been a fan, and it will take an awful lot to convince me. But it should make for an interesting time...

Sweet.

One question : why 9mm? Any reason beyond the savings? and do you anticipate (based on what you may have learned while doing your research) that this will result in a less reliable handgun than its .45 caliber counterparts?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I'm looking forward to this... Does the testing start Monday, then?
    No. The guns have not been completed yet. It will be a while before the test begins. In the meantime, I expect to reach at least 75k on the Glock 17.

Have you got leather/kydex already, and will you be staying appendix?
    I'll definitely be staying with appendix carry. I'm hoping to get one of John Ralston's new aiwb rigs for it (which have been tested extensively in conjunction with a Springfield Professional Operator) as well as hopefully a Keeper from prdator. I've already got mag pouches on the way from Custom Carry Concepts.

Speaking of mags, a nice supply of 10rd 9mm magazines from Wilson and Tripp are also inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    One question : why 9mm? Any reason beyond the savings? and do you anticipate (based on what you may have learned while doing your research) that this will result in a less reliable handgun than its .45 caliber counterparts?
    That's three questions. You're fired.

9mm because, as mentioned earlier, I've done the "year of high volume .45" thing and it was painful. Also, while the difference is small, there is a serious mental line in the sand for me between a 7/8 round magazine and a 10rd mag. I'm already going to be slightly below my own personal comfort level in terms of on-board ammo (12+1 being my personal magic number). And let's face it, I'm just a 9mm kind of guy.

Regarding reliability, Jason Burton of Heirloom Precision spent a considerable amount of time discussing the issues with me and convinced me that a well put together 9mm 1911 should run as reliably as a well put together .45 1911. (I would have loved to get a pair of Jason's guns, but spec'd out as I wanted them they would have cost almost as much as a year's worth of our mortgage and my wife is just crazy unreasonable about stuff like that)

In addition, I had a chance to discuss the project at length with Ken Hackathorn. Ken has a fondness for the 9mm 1911 and provided some great insights into running it day to day.
    Last edited by ToddG; 05-19-2012 at 08:36 AM.

No. The guns have not been completed yet. It will be a while before the test begins. In the meantime, I expect to reach at least 75k on the Glock 17.

I'll definitely be staying with appendix carry. I'm hoping to get one of John Ralston's new aiwb rigs for it (which have been tested extensively in conjunction with a Springfield Professional Operator) as well as hopefully a Keeper from prdator. I've already got mag pouches on the way from Custom Carry Concepts.

Speaking of mags, a nice supply of 10rd 9mm magazines from Wilson and Tripp are also inbound.
    Wow. Just . . . wow.

Edit: more wow.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-19-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

9 mm 1911. I am looking forward to this one.

I am also looking forward to a new p-t.com class, "AFHF with BUG".

In addition, I had a chance to discuss the project at length with Ken Hackathorn. Ken has a fondness for the 9mm 1911 and provided some great insights into running it day to day.
    Hah, I wish I had known that when I took his class last year. I had a 9mm 1911 hidden away in my range bag as a backup gun, but I was afraid I'd be kicked out of the class for being a heretic if I brought it out.

Consequently, I sold it (an STI Trojan) because an M&P9 with every bell and whistle I could imagine (okay, maybe not the reflex sight) still cost less than the "basic" 1911. I'm hoping to see lots of problems with the new PT test guns so I don't get tempted to go the 1911 route again.

BUT WE WANTS IT, PRECIOUS

Quiet, you!

I'm impressed!!!

My prediction though as I've seen with the .45 HRT guns that use Nowlin barrels, the barrel will crack or the lugs will shear off ~30k rounds.

I could be wrong but I'm sticking to it

Forgot to ask, by the way, but will Springfield Armory be involved in this at all? Or are they just selling a pair of pistols to some guy named Todd?

While the SA (Metalform) mags have fixed floorplates, they are the benchmark in 9mm mags.

Then comes Tripp.

I've been largely unhappy with WC "subcaliber" mags. But that is just my experience.

But bravo Todd! 'Bout time a 1911 got mixed up here.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    While the SA (Metalform) mags have fixed floorplates, they are the benchmark in 9mm mags.
    You're the first person that's said so to me. They're 9rd, yes?

Then comes Tripp.

I've been largely unhappy with WC "subcaliber" mags. But that is just my experience.
    The Wilson ETM mag has been universally recommended to me by the people I trust with the most experience running/building 9mm 1911s. The only complaint I've heard is that they will not always drop free when there are rounds still in the mag, and that the Tripp mags solve that problem.

The gun is coming with a pair of SA mags, and I've got a dozen Wilson ETM and half a dozen Tripp mags on the way.

But bravo Todd! 'Bout time a 1911 got mixed up here. Can I ask: who, what, how, and why to the caliber choice?
    I answered the caliber question above. I don't understand the other questions.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-19-2012 at 10:07 AM.

User Tag List