Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Test Kit

1911 Test Kit

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I think everyone here makes some valid points on accuracy vs. reliability.

For an average Joe like myself, I figure most confrontations are going to be really close and dependability is paramount. The issue is that I shoot my handgun in all kinds of scenarios besides self defense and for those purposes I want as much accuracy as I can get.

I can completely see what blr is saying. If the gun manufacturer is not taking the time to build an acceptably accurate gun, what other corners are they cutting?

Truth.
    You know, I bet our firm could put together a 1911 test kit easily and inexpensively allowing a layperson to check bbl timing, extractor tension, extractor hook dimensions, and feed ramp geometry easily. Heck, half if the kit would be feeler gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by blr View Post
    You know, I bet our firm could put together a 1911 test kit easily and inexpensively allowing a layperson to check bbl timing, extractor tension, extractor hook dimensions, and feed ramp geometry easily. Heck, half if the kit would be feeler gauges.
    The sad part is that nowadays you need a test kit for more models than just the 1911.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The sad part is that nowadays you need a test kit for more models than just the 1911.
    True. Sad but true.

I bet a good test kit would be less than $100, including a chamber gauge.

We are diminished
    You know, I bet our firm could put together a 1911 test kit easily and inexpensively allowing a layperson to check bbl timing, extractor tension, extractor hook dimensions, and feed ramp geometry easily.
    Define "easy." Define "inexpensive." Then I will probably define "DO WANT."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    ...already he's wandering around, fingering used 1911s on tables at gun shows. Dang, that was fast.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Spit balling? Less than $100, and likely less than $50.

Three things would be checked: Feeding, firing, and ejecting. Feeding and ejection are inseparable in this instance.

What the kit would include:
    Feeler gauges for:
    Extractor condition, hook dimensions from the breach face. In my experience, this is the root cause for many issues seen on 1911s. Clearance between the hook and breech face are too close or too wide. A simple 2 piece go-no go set would work. For extractor tension, something that has devolved into "feel" by most gunsmiths would be checked with the chamber gauge. A 1911 extractor should have a finite amount of deflection when engaged. Some argue 0.002, some a little more. Those that say "it should hold up a loaded ball round" lose credibility with me. Same with the losing tension over time because it's a leaf spring - a clear indication that said person really is parroting someone else. Rant off. The difficulty would be in gauging it simply for someone that doesn't have a test indicator.
    Chamber gauge: head space and chamber tightness. This is a VERY, VERY commonly overlooked factor in reliability. Kimber and SA chambers are way too tight IMO. Good for accuracy, bad for reliability.
    Radius gauges: Barrel throat.
    Paper protractor: feed ramp angle on frame. Would have go and no go markings only.
    Barrel timing: maybe optional. No reason to re-invent the wheel. Schuemann did a first rate job designing one. No longer in production, FYI.

Add in Yams VERY excellent bench block and armorers tools, and you have a first rate kit.

To define "EASY" - holding business card stock against parts of the gun and looking for light between the two.

We are diminished
    Spit balling? Less than $100, and likely less than $50.
    <...>
    Add in Yams VERY excellent bench block and armorers tools, and you have a first rate kit.
    I already have a 10-8 block and tool. How soon can you deliver the rest?

I already have a 10-8 block and tool. How soon can you deliver the rest?
    Do you really think that would sell???

Because it would really, really upset me to be able to by Wilsons/Baers/SACS/Browns/NHCs as "R&D" samples and get the tax break on them.
    Like losing sleep upset.

I could use all my previous purchases for tax purposes too!!!

I have NO plans to buy a 1911 and it sounds like a great idea to me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

We are diminished
    (I split this off from the original thread which had noting to do with 1911s)

Honestly, I am the wrong person to ask. It sounds like a genius idea to me assuming it would really work (i.e., provide genuine go/no-go reliability information). But I'm not exactly in touch with the core 1911 user base in terms of what they think is missing in terms of aftermarket support.

User Tag List