View Poll Results: What should I do with this H&R 733?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell as is

0 0%
  • Fix it up

4 44.44%
  • Trade for 9mm and TP

1 11.11%
  • Mods are shit

4 44.44%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R 733

This was in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Point Aficionado View Post
    Sure.

Some background may help with this one, anyway. In factory form, the hammer spur on the 733 and 732 blocks the rear sight like many older revolvers primarily intended to be fired aimed single-action with DA as a secondary point-shooting option. Can't have that so I partially bobbed the hammer spur to clear the sights. Why not a full bob? Concerns about reliable ignition, especially as the hammer spring needed trimmed. The standard double-action trigger pull was not at all smooth and very heavy. I trimmed about 2.5 coils off the hammer spring and brought it out to shoot this 3-5-7 Drill and test ignition. The stocks suck just like S&W's equivalent but Pachmayr unfortunately discontinued their replacements so I wadded some rubber bands at the wrist. Primarily as a nod to the old days of holsterless IWB carry with such things and partially as an index to keep my fingers low enough for a workable grip and web of my thumb somewhat consistent. Ammo used: Magtech lead wadcutter at three and seven yards, PPU lead round nose at five yards.

Looking at the primers, this is about as light as I'll go. Plenty healthy hits and the trigger is much improved so not going to chase the dragon. These little things aren't as bad as first impressions would suggest if one is willing to do some fiddling. Oh, I had painted the rear sight black and front sight a base coat of black with white over the top half. Going to put green over the lower half black for better indication that my front is hanging high. Gun fits a Mika pocket holster for either a Ruger LCR or S&W J-frame rather well, by the way. Also reloads just fine from HKS size 32J speedloaders and has chamfered charge holes from the factory. It's not a carry piece to me but is quite a fun mousegun.

Edit: Forgot to mention the O-ring on the distal ejection rod groove. Helps when opening the cylinder.

I have an old H&R 6" .22 from my father in law. He enjoyed it and was very accurate with it. I've shot it a time or two but it mostly sits in a corner of the safe somewhere. Why get rid of it? Someone may enjoy it someday. The sights are very fine for younger eyes. We are so spoiled by all the fine firearms available now. Someday they may not be. Your call.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Shoot it and see what happens. If it is easy to shoot and shoots well, fix it up. Otherwise, sell it.
    This. Handguns are not going to get any easier to acquire, especially not concealable handguns. It could come in very handy someday, and the price is right.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Late to the party- I concur with the shoot it and see crowd.

It it is reasonable accurate i.e. roughly a 5 inch circle (a CD/DVD BTW ) at 5-7 yrds. Get the grips serviceable (25 max on E-Bay) deal with any surface rust with some steel wool/oil, oil it up, load it with some 148g wadcutters or something similarly soft shooting and drive on.

Other wise-dump it for some ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Should have had “Keep as is for a throw down” as a choice. Imo.
    FIFY, and that's my vote. I wouldn't buy a 733, well maybe I would if it was cheap enough, but if someone gave me one I'd throw it in the safe.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    When I was a kid, there were a lot of these sitting around in drawers and closets, but they didn't get fired a lot. Their .22 rimfire cousins, on the other hand, got used.

I'd probably keep one that was in really good condition, on the chance that before I kick the bucket, I may just need a cheap, small .32 revolver for the same reason all those portly old bankers and little old ladies back in the day needed one.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

User Tag List