View Poll Results: What should I do with this H&R 733?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sell as is

0 0%
  • Fix it up

4 44.44%
  • Trade for 9mm and TP

1 11.11%
  • Mods are shit

4 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R 733

Site Supporter

H&R 733

So, when my dad passed in Jan I inherited an H&R 733 among his effects. My brother had given it to him a few years ago (he didn't want it back) and dad fired it once to my knowledge four or five years ago.

The revolver is mechanically sound be essetically in poor shape. Its nickled with visible rust in several places on the frame, cylinder, and trigger. Grips are toast.

I'm debating what to do with it. It doesn't have a lot of sentimental value but was dad's and may make a decent quarentine project since the Governor just put us on a stay at home order.

I realize I'll likely spend more to refurb then the gun is worth, but if I can spend a $100 to strip the rust, clean it up, replace some springs and grips, maybe a spray finish of some sort and have a little occasional range revolver it may be a fun project with my boys.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I would just keep it but don't try to restore it. It sounded that your dad did not really cherish it or use it. To sell it you may get $200 if it was in nice shape. In conclusion, the mods are shit.

Buy a box of ammo, fire 2 cylinders full through it and put it in the sock drawer for the Apocalypse. I'm serious. It's a gun, it has some sentimental value and it didn't cost you anything. A little rust just gives it character.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Get some of this http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/ and go after it. If you can find a how-to, go ahead and disassemble, clean and lube it. Otherwise, just take the grip(s) off and hose it out with solvent, then get it wet with oil. If you can find a new grip for $20 shipped on fleabay, pick it up. Don't spend more than that.

Consider putting it on consignment at your LGS. The panic buying has slowed, but it would probably sell for more now than two months ago or two months from now, especially if you can spare a box of factory ammo to go with it. You could put the money toward a better gun for your children to learn to shoot with.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

How does it shoot?

The H&R I had years back shot neat horizontal lines, not groups. Each chamber had it's own POA.

If it's accurate, I'd get it cleaned utrasonically, then have the boys shoot it as a family gun every once in a while.

If you sell it, does any potential regret later outweigh the $$$ you could earn?

If you realy want a project, why are you asking us? 😀
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Should have had “Keep as is” as a choice. Imo.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    How does it shoot?

The H&R I had years back shot neat horizontal lines, not groups. Each chamber had it's own POA.

If it's accurate, I'd get it cleaned utrasonically, then have the boys shoot it as a family gun every once in a while.

If you sell it, does any potential regret later outweigh the $$$ you could earn?

If you realy want a project, why are you asking us? 😀
    Cause you guys are great enablers and/or great at reminding me its an H&R afterall!

I've shot it once. Years ago. I dont recall any real accuracy issues but who knows.

I have an AR I also inherited from him that we built together. Definitely more nostalgia in that then an H&R he fired once and threw in a shoebox.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Should have had “Keep as is” as a choice. Imo.
    Touche, but you successfully voted for "keep as is" nonetheless!

Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    Cause you guys are great enablers and/or great at reminding me its an H&R afterall!

I've shot it once. Years ago. I dont recall any real accuracy issues but who knows.

I have an AR I also inherited from him that we built together. Definitely more nostalgia in that then an H&R he fired once and threw in a shoebox.
    I would reshoot it. If you get a bad result, dumping it will come much easier, or at least it would for me.

If it's accurate, I'd vote with Steph. It could be an "early inheritance" to one of the boys, later, and they will be happy with getting a "family gun" ( assuming they are cool 😉 ) even if it doesn't really have much family history.

ETA: and if you purty it up, then it comes with a neat "Dad's folly" story attached.

The coolest thing about our wall-hanging 12 gauge Stevens is the story I get to tell about having it repaired 'cause Grandma wacked it upside a wall during an argument with Grandpa--an argument about him buying said shotgun.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 04-06-2020 at 08:32 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Shoot it and see what happens. If it is easy to shoot and shoots well, fix it up. Otherwise, sell it.

User Tag List