Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling AR pistol lower

Selling AR pistol lower

This is something I know nothing about. I have this AAC AR pistol lower that I may consider selling. When I bought it, it was transferred as a pistol but I don't think I have any papers indicating that. If I listed it for sale, do I list it as AR lower, AR pistol lower, or what? How does the buyer, or FFL, or LE or that matter, know that this is a pistol, not a rifle?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

There’s no guarantee for the person you sell it to. They’d just have to take your word for it, which is one of the reasons I wouldn’t buy a used lower if I planned to build a pistol. This is where I could be wrong, but I believe that stripped lowers are supposed to be transferred through FFLs as “other” firearms since a lower is neither a pistol nor a rifle. If you bought the lower as part of a complete pistol firearm, LE can easily verify it. Your buyer’s best bet is to contact the manufacturer and see if they’ll let him/her know what configuration that lower left their factory.

If they need to trace a firearm, LE can contact the manufacturer and find out what the lower was built as originally and then follow it through its first FFL sale to see if any distributors or dealers had built it into a complete rifle.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Are you sure it was transferred to you as a pistol? Because receivers are transferred as "Other" on the 4473 and can be assembled into a rifle or pistol. Unless it's registered as a pistol per your state laws or something.

$10 plus I cover shipping.
    #RESIST

He bought as a complete AAC .300 pistol.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    This is something I know nothing about. I have this AAC AR pistol lower that I may consider selling. When I bought it, it was transferred as a pistol but I don't think I have any papers indicating that. If I listed it for sale, do I list it as AR lower, AR pistol lower, or what? How does the buyer, or FFL, or LE or that matter, know that this is a pistol, not a rifle?
    Sell it as a pistol.

If push came to shove, ATF traces go from manufacturer to first FFL and first purchase from first FFL. AAC shipped it as a pistol and the 4473 for your purchase should reflect the same.

In practical terms sell it as a pistol. You can go pistol to rifle but not the other way. Once you build out a stripped receiver it is no longer a “receiver”

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    $10 plus I cover shipping.
    Mods here are shit. I'd go at least $25 plus shipping...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Mods here are shit. I'd go at least $25 plus shipping...
    Banned.
    #RESIST

If you sell face to face then you can just tell them it was a pistol when you got it. They can do whatever they want to with it since making a pistol into a rifle is not an issue. If it goes through an FFL he may need to sell it as a pistol since that was what it was when you got it. I don't think he could sell it as "other" at this point. The end-user could still make it into either but once a rifle always a rifle.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Ill give you TREE FIDDY plus shipping.

And list it as a pistol.

User Tag List