Thread: Robar NP3 Lead Time

Robar NP3 Lead Time

Just curious if anyone here sent a gun in to Robar last Spring/Summer? If so, how long did it take to get your gun back?

Once Coating Technologies got a new dealer system in place, I sent my P30 off to Wright Armory in AZ, and was told up front that it’d be about 4-6 weeks. They got my gun on 12-13-19. I’m still waiting.

I’m sure this damn virus has slowed things in the last few weeks, and supposedly they got a rush of orders due to Robar closing.
    If nothing else, this is just an FYI, if you are thinking of sending your gun off.

Back when the pistols went to Robar, four months was the average turnaround time for just NP3 plating. Any additional work, even polishing the metal, changing sights, or action work, added another month. I liked Robar's stippling and that added two months. I planned for the pistol to be gone for a minimum of six months.

Wow, thanks; that’s exactly what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a very time consuming process.

IIRC, Robar is no longer in business.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

@Sauer Koch,

I had Robar do a full K-frame along with some gunsmithing work before they closed, and that took a little over 6 months. Tyler at Robar even called me and admitted they had lost my project in the workflow and that it's shouldn't have taken that long. I didn't mind, as I figured it would be a lot of time since there was a significant amount of work involved.

I think a fair course of action would simply be to email them and emphasize that you're not trying to be a dick but the work is overdue by however many months from the stated lead-time you were given when you sent them the gun, and you're curious if the shop is still working and if there's a new projected lead time.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if new shops taking on NP3 services bit off more than they could chew and are up shits creek right now trying to manage orders and will likely be extremely late or simply vanish with peoples' money. It's really pretty common in the gun world. For instance, Tommy Bostic made a name for himself in the early days of HK cloning not just because he is decent at what he does, but also because he isn't a fucking piece of shit and he managed his business accordingly which wasn't a given for that market at one point.

Same with holsters. Lots of people have a pet project and passion, do some good work, quickly get in over their head and disappear.

Not trying to scare you or piss in your cheerios. I'd just start preparing for the worst; I'm just cynical and think most gunsmithing business are run by scumbags (I have no idea about the people you sent yours to).

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    IIRC, Robar is no longer in business.
    As already stated by SauerKoch in the OP. It appears trying to compare lead times for NP3 work through the new NP3 service network and whether something is askew.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    @Sauer Koch,

I had Robar do a full K-frame along with some gunsmithing work before they closed, and that took a little over 6 months. Tyler at Robar even called me and admitted they had lost my project in the workflow and that it's shouldn't have taken that long. I didn't mind, as I figured it would be a lot of time since there was a significant amount of work involved.

I think a fair course of action would simply be to email them and emphasize that you're not trying to be a dick but the work is overdue by however many months from the stated lead-time you were given when you sent them the gun, and you're curious if the shop is still working and if there's a new projected lead time.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if new shops taking on NP3 services bit off more than they could chew and are up shits creek right now trying to manage orders and will likely be extremely late or simply vanish with peoples' money. It's really pretty common in the gun world. For instance, Tommy Bostic made a name for himself in the early days of HK cloning not just because he is decent at what he does, but also because he isn't a fucking piece of shit and he managed his business accordingly which wasn't a given for that market at one point.

Same with holsters. Lots of people have a pet project and passion, do some good work, quickly get in over their head and disappear.

Not trying to scare you or piss in your cheerios. I'd just start preparing for the worst; I'm just cynical and think most gunsmithing business are run by scumbags (I have no idea about the people you sent yours to).

As already stated by SauerKoch in the OP. It appears trying to compare lead times for NP3 work through the new NP3 service network and whether something is askew.
    Thanks for that. I'd heard nothing but praise for the finish itself for a few years now, but never anything about how long the process was to complete, and get your gun back. I had sent my 226 off to Grayguns, for the full action job and trigger kit, and that took about 6 wks, which wasn't too bad, but next Monday will be 4 months, which seems like an eternity! (I'm not very patient)
    With this virus shit having all but one range in my area closed, I guess it's better that it;s gone now, but in these times, I hate being without my primary carry gun, although I have others I can use. Also, I just don't want things to spiral down and somehow end up with my gun stuck in AZ and no way to get it back.

I hope it will be worth the wait!

User Tag List