Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Down to one pistol... PF Enablers Unite (Beretta?)

As a recent victim of the "Passion of the Gun" in the form of 1911s, I feel your pain. I have my primary G19, a backup G19, a backup-backup G26, and love none of them. A couple months back, on a lark, I bought a Springfield Range Officer 45, followed rapidly by a DW Guardian 9mm, and a DW CCO 45. Now looking hard at the STI C Duo, and waiting impatiently for the DWX Compact to drop.

If you WANT a Beretta, get a Beretta. Everything in life does not have to be driven by cold logic. Just know going in, that if/when you realize you never carry that Beretta and decide to it, you won't recoup your investment, because the market in Beretta pistols is soft.

I'm with Rob, though. There are several DW lightweight 9mm Commander-sized guns on Gunbroker right now. They'll be inside your price range, and will be WAY more shootable than anything else you're likely to find.

A snub nose and another G48. Might have to use them the way the economy is, you know, with people getting desperate.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    As a recent victim of the "Passion of the Gun" in the form of 1911s, I feel your pain. I have my primary G19, a backup G19, a backup-backup G26, and love none of them. A couple months back, on a lark, I bought a Springfield Range Officer 45, followed rapidly by a DW Guardian 9mm, and a DW CCO 45. Now looking hard at the STI C Duo, and waiting impatiently for the DWX Compact to drop.

If you WANT a Beretta, get a Beretta. Everything in life does not have to be driven by cold logic. Just know going in, that if/when you realize you never carry that Beretta and decide to it, you won't recoup your investment, because the market in Beretta pistols is soft.

I'm with Rob, though. There are several DW lightweight 9mm Commander-sized guns on Gunbroker right now. They'll be inside your price range, and will be WAY more shootable than anything else you're likely to find.
    This is somewhat where I am. I’ve got a pair of G19s for carry and a pair of G17s for USPSA Production. Honestly, I LIKE them, but I don’t love them. They’re boringly reliable and make a lot of economic sense.

I have a Beretta 92 that I’ve done some upgrading to. I really like that pistol, shot it a little in Production, but I don’t carry it. It’s a bit big for me, but it’s at least more comfortable for me to shoot than a Glock.

I’m both terrified and tempted to get a holster for my Springfield Range Officer Operator. I’m told 1911s carry extremely well despite their size and weight. I haven’t shot a 9mm Commander yet, but shooting a Govt. 1911 in .45Auto is like cheating enough as it is.

If you're all about the G48 and it’s your ONLY pistol, at the very least get a spare. Maybe even consider a 3rd. Then you can look at something else if it really strikes your fancy.

That full size PX4 from LTT is a tank. One of those with the LTT special sauce, and maybe his optics cut to assuage the followers of the dot does make for a mean setup if you're a DA/SA shooter. Do that and swap in that spurless hammer and you have a heck of a carry platform.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’m told 1911s carry extremely well despite their size and weight. I haven’t shot a 9mm Commander yet, but shooting a Govt. 1911 in .45Auto is like cheating enough as it is.
    For me, the G19 grip-length is the upper limit on what I like to hump around. I particularly hate sitting down in Mass and hearing the hollow "thunk" when my pistol grip hits the pew - my dearly departed Mom rolls over in her grave every time, I sure. That means Officer's sized grips are as long as I want to carry as an all-around gun. The DW Guardian is a compromise with it's "fast back" grip, but still a little longish for my tastes. I have and will continue to carry my RO (Government size) when the mood strikes me - yes, it's heavy, but it carries "flat" and the spare magazines are also "flat" - hard to describe how much better that is than humping around spare Glock mags.

On the issue of "cheating" - the DW Guardian is incredible to shoot, exceptional accuracy, great trigger, very light recoil - really a "show off" gun. Torn now between the new hotness of the Staccato C Duo and just picking up a DW Vigil CCO in 9mm for daily carry.

I realize re-reading my OP and Title it’s a bit misleading. For the record I’m all for adding an additional G48. There’s no debate or drama there.

I tend to practice with what I enjoy shooting. For me that’s usually bolt guns. It takes a lot of motivation for me to get revved up to train with a pistol these days. Really train with regular dry fire and quality practice time because I just don’t enjoy shooting Glocks. Which is all I have shot for the last several years both RMRd and otherwise.

I thought switching up my ponies might get me that spark of motivation back. I’ve spent less time practicing the last year than I have in a while just because I lost interest. The logical wise thing is to just buy some more Glocks and rock on. I get it. I do. It’s just not... interesting.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

The easiest way to get motivated for pistol training, is to compete in USPSA or IDPA. Without competition to motivate you to drive performance, training is a lot of work and it is easy to feel like your skills are enough.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Someone earlier recommended a revolver and I will double down on that. Learning DA revolver trigger control will make shooting a Glock seem like magic. If you don't want to be bored there is a whole world of revolvers out there to explore...service size 6 & 7 shots, 8 shot large frames, and 5 & 6 shot snubbies. Once you've played with each of those in .36 caliber you can move on to big bores. 44s and 45s are a whole new experience for someone who is bored with 9mms.

YMMV,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    I realize re-reading my OP and Title it’s a bit misleading. For the record I’m all for adding an additional G48. There’s no debate or drama there.

I tend to practice with what I enjoy shooting. For me that’s usually bolt guns. It takes a lot of motivation for me to get revved up to train with a pistol these days. Really train with regular dry fire and quality practice time because I just don’t enjoy shooting Glocks. Which is all I have shot for the last several years both RMRd and otherwise.

I thought switching up my ponies might get me that spark of motivation back. I’ve spent less time practicing the last year than I have in a while just because I lost interest. The logical wise thing is to just buy some more Glocks and rock on. I get it. I do. It’s just not... interesting.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback.
    I’ll tell you this I resisted the 1911 for many years because “killed in da streets.” I caved in 2017 and started carrying a 1911. I’ve always enjoyed shooting them more than the Sigs I carried previously and figured if I enjoy shooting them more I’m probably more apt to practice with them. And my speculation was right despite the size and weight of a steel 5” 1911 my commitment to carrying one has not wavered.

Basically buy what you’re most likely to bring to the range and enjoy, unless you’re mandated by department policy or similar, life is too short to train and carry something you don’t enjoy. The caveat being you shouldn’t give up reliability but in this day and age you have to work to find unreliable firearms.

IMO the dot is a better way to improve trigger control than a revolver.
    David S.

User Tag List