Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Down to one pistol... PF Enablers Unite (Beretta?)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Huh? I’m confused by this statement “I use the snot out of it, and will no longer own it.”
    Phone fat finger - corrected.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Buy slower, but buy for keeps. That's my new thing. It works for me. Your mileage may vary.
    I've recently lost quite a few pounds of "safe fat." Several of them were police trade-ins that were serviceable, but I was not looking forward to the work that they were going to take for me to be happy with their overall condition (both mechanical and cosmetics). I've decided that I'm only interested in "nice" guns from here on out, and will limit my future purchases to such, and on the basis that I will only be shopping if there's something I really can't get done well with a gun I already have.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Love that. G19, G43, LCP would cover the bases for sure in my world.
    Add in a no-lock 638, and this ^^^^^ is my go-to line-up. 19.5 with RMR about 90% of the time, G43 about 9%, and the J frame the other 1%. LCP hasn't been carried in years, but with is craptastic resale value, I keep it around just in case.

To answer the OP's question, I'm with others and say get a second Glock. If not another G48, then something larger (G19/G45). Or if you're not having any of that practicality stuff, buy whatever makes you happy. Life is short. Or get a PDW and join the fun.

Even as someone who does emotionally attach to some degree (I think they're fun and I enjoy having them around) they're still tools at the end of the day. Any time I read a post where someone is like "I could never get a Wilson or other fancy gun, what if I had to drop it in training or my sweat smudged the finish carrying?!" and it just battles me that anyone would be concerned with things that petty if a tool was the best tool for the job.

I think one of the most beautiful sights is a really high end gun that has clearly been a little dinged up over years of range time.
    What gets me even more is those that own the “fancy gun” and are like, “even thought I shoot my XX better than anything I own, and it’s the most likely gun to save my life, I won’t carry it for fear of it sitting in an evidence locker someday”.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    What gets me even more is those that own the “fancy gun” and are like, “even thought I shoot my XX better than anything I own, and it’s the most likely gun to save my life, I won’t carry it for fear of it sitting in an evidence locker someday”.
    To borrow a phrase from the far left, I am triggered. I can't stand that.

*lying on the ground bleeding out* "At least...my fancy gun...is safe...."
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

To borrow a phrase from the far left, I am triggered. I can't stand that.

*lying on the ground bleeding out* "At least...my fancy gun...is safe...."
    Agree. If I have that much invested in something it’s to use and not look at. Barring sentimental value (Grandpas gun... but then again Grandpa would be wanting me to shoot the snot out of it).

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I'll always have a desire to own virtually every decent gun ever made and at some point it seems that I have , but in the past year or so I've kind of taken the approach you describe and have minimalized down to 3 pistols. 2 G17.5 w/DDPs for competition/training and a G45 I carry daily with Holosun.

The main thing I've learned is that the Gen 5 Glocks do essentially everything I need in a gun. Very accurate, very reliable, trigger that is more than adequate, etc. I know that if I want to lower my splits, I should train more. If I want to do better in a match? Train more. Improve my accuracy? Train more. Viewing my guns as tools make it all about dry fire/shooting/training vs. Spending a bunch of cash on the next new hotness as a way to lower my splits by .02 or improve my match placement by 1 spot.
    Dang man, I think I must have bought half your leftovers. Last I heard you were on the P30 train. Your post is 100% true and very inspiring. I must have tried nearly everything and am back to Glocks (which is appropriate).

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by ldunnmobile View Post
    Agree. If I have that much invested in something it’s to use and not look at. Barring sentimental value (Grandpas gun... but then again Grandpa would be wanting me to shoot the snot out of it).
    I have my grandpa's 4" cold blued Colt Python he carried on duty in LA many decades ago. It belonged to my dad after grandpa passed, and dad gave it to me when I graduated law school.

It gets shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Love that. G19, G43, LCP would cover the bases for sure in my world.
    Ayup.

G19. G43X. LCR in .38 here. That is the extent of my "collection". They all get shot. They all get carried.

Do I lust after new guns? Sure, same as any other guy/gal who likes shooting. But in terms of practical reality, my looking at a new gat always thumps solidly against my two rules of gun owning purchases:

Rule 1 - Is this purchase for Ammunition, Firearms Training, or a USPSA Match?

Is yes, continue to purchase. If not, continue to Rule 2.

Rule 2 - Go back and reread Rule 1.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Ayup.

G19. G43X. LCR in .38 here. That is the extent of my "collection". They all get shot. They all get carried.

Do I lust after new guns? Sure, same as any other guy/gal who likes shooting. But in terms of practical reality, my looking at a new gat always thumps solidly against my two rules of gun owning purchases:

Rule 1 - Is this purchase for Ammunition, Firearms Training, or a USPSA Match?

Is yes, continue to purchase. If not, continue to Rule 2.

Rule 2 - Go back and reread Rule 1.

I am not quite this good yet, but I admit when I finally committed to Glocks or M2.0s for everything it severely slowed down my purchasing, now I have:

Glock 17 Gen 4 with TLR-1 HL - Home defense gun
    Glock 19 Gen 5 - Carry/travel
    S&W M2.0 Shield - Smaller Carry
    Ruger LCP - Pocket Carry

I haven't disrupted this general arrangement in 2-3 years except to swap out the 19 Gen 5 for an M2.0 Compact 4" 9mm that has been relegated to backup (for the accuracy upgrade). And any time I want to buy something, it's purely for fun/curiosity at this point, nothing disrupts those 4 carry guns or that 80% of my range time goes to them. I honestly can't think of any reason to change it...ever, or at least for a long time. At most I might do incremental upgrades like an LCP II or a Gen 5 17, but even those, probably not. These 4 guns work, I trust them, and I do well with them. There's no reason not to lock them in.

User Tag List