Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Safariland 637 - new pancake ALS rig

Sorry for the bad photos. One more on the belt. My pants ride at waist level and for me the 637 rides just a little higher than a JMCK OWB. Name:  0474F83F-93AA-4367-848F-BFE9740AB067.jpg
Views: 984
Size:  23.7 KB

Just got home, and picked up the holster from the FedEx store on the way.

First impressions are very favorable. No, it’s not the thinnest holster out there, but it’s a big improvement over a 637x or 737x on a loop or paddle.

Those thumbscrews are odd, but I have a theory. I’m wondering if this holster was originally designed for the European market (it was available from German suppliers for months before it was available here,) and the German one includes an 6006 ALS guard like the ones I use on everything. When you remove the thumbscrews, the T-nuts stick a little proud, just like what you would see for mounting an ALS guard. The thumbscrews are hollow backed and cover up that extension of the T-nuts. I’m not sure the T-nuts actually do anything other than provide a mounting hardpoint for a 6006, it may be that they can be removed.

I do know a 6006 ALS guard mounted right up, and I’ll try to give the 26 or 45 some love this week.

I’m hoping they do a 26 sized version before too long.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I ordered my 637 LEFT HAND on Sept 19. I've called Safariland 2 times on it, the second call being last week.

The nice lady could not give me specific date but said not to expect it for at least a month. I'm sure that being left hand has something to do with it but be advised that new orders for these may strech out toward Sparks turnaround times.

I'll just keep trucking on withe the IWB and OWB versions of the GLS models and my Sparks Exec Companion in the mean time.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Just got home, and picked up the holster from the FedEx store on the way.

First impressions are very favorable. No, it’s not the thinnest holster out there, but it’s a big improvement over a 637x or 737x on a loop or paddle.

Those thumbscrews are odd, but I have a theory. I’m wondering if this holster was originally designed for the European market (it was available from German suppliers for months before it was available here,) and the German one includes an 6006 ALS guard like the ones I use on everything. When you remove the thumbscrews, the T-nuts stick a little proud, just like what you would see for mounting an ALS guard. The thumbscrews are hollow backed and cover up that extension of the T-nuts. I’m not sure the T-nuts actually do anything other than provide a mounting hardpoint for a 6006, it may be that they can be removed.

I do know a 6006 ALS guard mounted right up, and I’ll try to give the 26 or 45 some love this week.

I’m hoping they do a 26 sized version before too long.
    I just realized I didn’t post how the 6006 fits - I think it’s actually less obtrusive than the thumbnuts, and it serves a purpose.

Name:  ACE31107-516D-46D7-8FB2-A967CB87D8D9.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  40.0 KB

Name:  320C009C-E39B-4BB4-B046-3232BFBA29D4.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  37.0 KB
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I wore mine today on duty for the first time. I just....don’t really like it. I was wearing my normal winter uniform (blue jeans and a hoodie), and it did not conceal well at all. For reference, I’m 6’1” and 205 lbs.

Plus, I normally carry a personally owned G19 with an RMR and TLR-7 on duty. Obviously, that won’t work with this holster, so I carried my issued 19 for the first time in a while.

I’ll keep the holster for the rare occasion I wear an agency polo and BDU’s, but it won’t be seeing much use other than that.

I got an email from Safariland that mine shipped on the 4th. That makes about 3.5 months since it was ordered Sept 19. From the email, "Most orders arrive within 4-8 business days. However, in rare instances it may take up to 2 weeks."

2 weeks, 3.5 months, eh, who cares these days. As long as they didn't screw up and send a RH holster, I'll be happy to get it. I'm sure it will quickly get me to a 5 second FAST with it's glorious ALS speed.

Gringo (not bitter at all) p

PS, I wonder if it will have the same issue with the ALS mech being worn away by my tall Defoor front sight as I had with my OWB 6378-283.
    Last edited by gringop; 01-07-2021 at 04:02 AM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I’m still liking mine, concealment isn’t horrid with my fluffy body type. I’m usually carrying my 26.5 in it, and I do hope they offer a smaller version at some point. I can see where someone with a more athletic build would have concealment issues.
    Ken

Mine finally came in a few days ago and today I had time to evaluate it.

There is no way that I can use this as a carry, practice and competition holster. For a lefty, the bulbous protrusion that covers the mag release bangs my arthritic glock knuckle on every draw and reholster. Below I have photos of my GLS, paddle ALS and this new ALS. The GCL does not cover the mag release at all, the paddle ALS has a slight flare the does not hit my knuckle and the new ALS has a mag release cover that extends 3/8" out from the side of the gun, right where my knuckle hits it on a draw when positioned at 8:00 (lefty). There is no way that I could do 50 plus draws a practice session comfortably.

Name:  20210109_153306A.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  68.9 KB

GLS

Name:  20210109_153349A.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  85.6 KB

Paddle ALS

Name:  20210109_153341A.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  67.0 KB

New ALS

Name:  20210109_153333A.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  84.3 KB

My guess is that if it was a straight drop at 9:00 it and I didn't have a giant honking knuckle, it would not be as bad. But this is what I end up with.

Name:  20210109_153634A.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  54.1 KB

I understand that they have to make some changes due to the ALS mechanism but this is unusable for me. Additionally, the rear knurled knob digs into my fat roll after 5 min of wearing it around.

I'm sure that at some time in the future I will experiment with altering the mag release cover and removing the rear knurled knob and the post it screws into but so far this holster is a disappointment all the way around.

Gringop

FYI I talked to the Safariland reps at the OTOA a couple weeks ago. There is still no ETA on availability for the M&P.

Still enjoying mine. Shot an IDPA match with it this morning.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

User Tag List