Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock 42 carry

Site Supporter

Glock 42 carry

I bought a Glock 42 for pocket carry options. However, I wanted to shoot it in IDPA which meant a belt holster. Being left handed it was hard to find a good one when the gun first came out. I had so-so thin, material one. Didn't like it. I did find a Blade Tech Total Eclipse Double Mag pouch - kydex and it was pretty good for two mags.

I asked here and someone recommended JM - and I ordered a Road Dog model for left handers. Came the other day and it is very nice. Fits the gun well and on my dress gun belt. Since my old back has been complaining about the full rig of a 9mm Glock and two mags, I decided the G42 set up would go out for EDC time. Very comfortable and concealable under a floppy shirt with the Eclipse on the other side. Back didn't protest.

I note that I am usually in the fanatic camp of a big ol semi and two mags as you never know when ...

However, it's gotten me through a hike on our town paths and a big old French toast breakfast in a nice cafe where old folks do brunch.

Nice holster!

Why the 42 instead of the 43?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I can’t say for Glenn, obviously, but I also chose the 42 vs the 43, for a couple of reasons: We borrowed some carry-size GLOCKs, and rung them out. My wife shot the 26 through a magazine and didn’t love it. She shot the 43 a few rounds and hated it. She shot every round of .380 in the truck through the borrowed 42. So obviously, I got her what she likes. I got a 26 first and ran a couple thousand rounds through it, which converted me to the gun and brand. I got her a 42, but I ended up snagging it for light thin gun duties so often, I bought a second one for myself rather than get a 43 and have to manage a second set of non-standard Glock magazines, parts, and holsters. Everything for hers fits mine and vice versa. It’s fun to shoot, it works, and it’s lighter, shorter, and thinner than the 26 or 43.

If my lower back hurts, I’m either carrying the 642 or the G42, depending on clothing.

I’m a fan of the 42 too, probably more that I expected. It’s easier pocket carrying than the 43, and it’s like a little laser.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I also really like the G42. It’s small and light enough to be a viable ankle BUG, seemingly reliable, and has practically no recoil. Sure .380 ACP isn’t the most powerful cartridge out there, but the other attributes of the G42 definitely make it worth considering for anyone looking for a really small gun.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I rarely carry mine but glad it's available for when I need very small. Much more shootable than my LCPs, good sights and an SCD.
    Adam

Site Supporter
    When I got it, the 43s weren't available and they still don't look as pocket friendly to me. The holster search started for BUG matches. I could shoot it pretty decently in standard IDPA and the short range matches we had in TX.

I don't feel completely undergunned with it. I'm still in the big gun club when the ol' back settles. I still debate pocket choices - G42, 642 or 432 - when I need to dress that way. I shoot all of them, so they are not underwear drawer guns.

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Answering this, only for myself, well, advancing age, in general, and right thumb/hand/wrist arthritis, in particular. “Compact Nines,” as an entire class of weapon, are disappearing from my life. I traded-away my three G19 pistols, for example, in 2020, after not shooting them since 2017.

The big-bore Magnums that I fired, in my immortal twenties, apparently became chickens, coming home to roost, in my forties and fifties.

I still like Nines, but big ones, with “orthopedic” gripping areas.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-25-2021 at 12:57 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    For those of you who have a G42, how does the recoil compare to other guns? For example, how does it compare to something like a Ruger LCP or a Kel-Tec P-32? (I specifically asked about the .32 rather than the .380 Kel-Tec because I am thinking about possible choices for individuals with hand or wrist issues.) Is there something else to which you would say it is reasonably comparable?

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    For those of you who have a G42, how does the recoil compare to other guns? For example, how does it compare to something like a Ruger LCP or a Kel-Tec P-32? (I specifically asked about the .32 rather than the .380 Kel-Tec because I am thinking about possible choices for individuals with hand or wrist issues.) Is there something else to which you would say it is reasonably comparable?
    In the one direct comparison I’ve done, the G42 was MUCH more comfortable to shoot than the .380 LCP.

I’ve added rubber Talon-style grips to my G42 which made it easier to grip. Magazine extension floorplates or Geeplates also make it easier to grip.

A caution for someone with hand issues: the slide release on mine takes a lot of thumb force, and a couple of small persons had trouble racking the slide until they got some coaching on technique.

The S&W Shield EZ .380 is larger but worth a close look for someone with hand strength issues.
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/mp-shield-ez-0

User Tag List