Thread: Help with Shotgun Sight

Help with Shotgun Sight

I own a Scattergun Technologies (currently owned by Wilson Combat) 12 ga. Remington 870 shotgun. I had it built back in 1994 and have used it in training classes at Gunsite as well as other locations.

It is a "Tactical Response" model and has the issue ghost ring rear sight and ramp front sight. The front sight is a Trijicon with a tritium insert. The insert "died" long ago, which was certainly expected, considering the age of the gun.

I really like the sights on this gun, but never was a fan of the tritium insert. I don't want to replace the front sight if I don't have to, and would really like to see if I can find someone who would remove the dead tritium insert and replace it with a gold or brass bead.

I intend to contact both Wilson Combat and Hans Vang to see if they would do this work, but thought the knowledge base on this forum might be able to share their experience (if any) with such an endeavor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would imagine any half-competent local gunsmith could do that for you.
    I know from experience that a propane torch on the front sight can destroy the glue holding the Trit vial so that it will then fall out (don't ask).
    Friction fitting or gluing in a brass rod should be easy after that. A gold bead would be trickier but I'd attempt adding the brass bead myself.

Thanks for that info. I kind of thought getting the tritium vial out would be the easy part. I will continue my search here in the local area.

Just an update on this inquiry: Couldn't find anyone interested in doing this (brass or gold bead), so I have ordered a new fiber optic front sight from Wilson Combat for this shotgun. Entire front sight to be replaced - could have replaced with another tritium insert sight, but simply do not care for that sight.

Site Supporter
    Isn’t that front sight glued on? I have the same sights on an old 870. I would like to replace my front sight too.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Isn’t that front sight glued on? I have the same sights on an old 870. I would like to replace my front sight too.
    Yes, the front sight is glued on. I considered just purchasing the sight and doing the replacement myself, but decided to send the barrel to WC to let them do the work.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I own a Scattergun Technologies (currently owned by Wilson Combat) 12 ga. Remington 870 shotgun. I had it built back in 1994 and have used it in training classes at Gunsite as well as other locations.

It is a "Tactical Response" model and has the issue ghost ring rear sight and ramp front sight. The front sight is a Trijicon with a tritium insert. The insert "died" long ago, which was certainly expected, considering the age of the gun.

I really like the sights on this gun, but never was a fan of the tritium insert. I don't want to replace the front sight if I don't have to, and would really like to see if I can find someone who would remove the dead tritium insert and replace it with a gold or brass bead.

I intend to contact both Wilson Combat and Hans Vang to see if they would do this work, but thought the knowledge base on this forum might be able to share their experience (if any) with such an endeavor.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    I remember that some outfits who sold these sights would replace the inserts. I do not think that gunsmiths would have the tool or expertise to perform the task, which is likely a simple one. Further, probability is high that there is a minimum number of suppliers of inserts and finding a suitable replacement may not be difficult. I would ask a rep at Brownell's and go from there.

Site Supporter

User Tag List